Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Free Electricity, My Theory Was Right!!!!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by TC View Post
    . Though now I can fill in some blanks to how much power it'll take to run the alternator, which looks like at full amp draw it would take a 4hp motor to turn the alternator...
    Any time you are looking at numbers on motors and alternators, keep in mind that the ratings are based on a specific set of parameters. Torque and current are proportional. The more load you put on a motor, the more current it will draw. The more current you draw from an alternator, the more torque it will take to turn it.

And you will always get less out, than you put in. Some of the power will turn into heat.

btw Scott I liked your deleted post.....and I'm guilty.
    Last edited by squirrel; December 14, 2012, 06:47 PM.
    My fabulous web page

"If it don't go, chrome it!" --Stroker McGurk

Comment

• Originally posted by squirrel View Post
      Any time you are looking at numbers on motors and alternators, keep in mind that the ratings are based on a specific set of parameters. Torque and current are proportional. The more load you put on a motor, the more current it will draw. The more current you draw from an alternator, the more torque it will take to turn it.

And you will always get less out, than you put in. Some of the power will turn into heat.

btw Scott I liked your deleted post.....and I'm guilty.

- my really old 2hp compressor would blow a 15a circuit when started under a load. 15a motor, the replacement for it (was stolen, I think it's probably still running somewhere) is a 5hp compressor - 15a motor, does not blow the same circuit starting under load.

I think they used to be a little soft if anything. Something I'm not taking into account is when they would cycle on, maybe the 2hp would try to start at a higher tank pressure. I'll never know for sure. My old 20w amplifiers would be 450w by some manufacturers standards. Did the old amplifier have 430w of free energy? hehe.

I'l leave this thread alone now with the best comment of the week I heard at work -

"I'm not smart enough to build a time machine"
      Last edited by Beagle; December 14, 2012, 10:38 PM.
      Flying south, with a flock of bird dogs.

Comment

Working...
      X