Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Racing - IndyCar, NASCAR, what's the point?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Racing - IndyCar, NASCAR, what's the point?

As all my appointments today are cancelled and staying in their bunkers because of Hurricane Sandy, I'll pause to reflect...

IndyCar, NASCAR... Who gives a crap? (i.e., do the fans?)

Sure, most NASCAR fans watch their favorite driver for the WWE-style 'entertainment'... but those of us that revere guys like Smokey Yunick for his innovations are simply yawning. Yawning for years now.

True, innovation costs money, but in car classes where everything is so gnat's-ass similar... yaawwwnn.

IndyCar is a political mess, but even technologically I'm yawning. F1 is coming to NJ and Texas, and they'll be bringing their regenerative-energy-capture systems, and cutting-edge thinking with them. I almost yawned, but didn't.

If we had a series that ran snotty, hairy-chested, snarling, evil big-block CAN-AM cars with modern innovations...

Picture a field of those cars ripping up a NJ street course.

Fire away, guys... while you still have electricity and an internet connection.
    Yes, I'm a CarJunkie... How many times would YOU rebuild the same engine before getting a crate motor?

We need CART to come back , and the big American V-8s with 'em.
    Ed, Mary, & 'Earl'
    HRPT LongHaulers, 08, 09, 10, 11, 12, 13, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19.

Inside every old person is a young person wondering, "what the hell happened?"

The man at the top of the mountain didn't fall there. -Vince Lombardi

Comment

Ok. You're right.

I would like to watch a series where the engine was spec, but the chassis/body was open. and on road courses. in the rain.

I think part of NASCAR's problem is that the oval is so easy to film. you need a lot more cameras to film a road course properly and that diminshes profit margins. Promoters are there to make a buck, not watch the race.... so to speak - . and an oval is easy to do well.

Spidey made a comment in another thread recently where he suggests WoO, or Super Modifieds instead of indy cars... I like that idea, a bunch, but I'd want to tear up the asphalt and run 'em on dirt.

Indy cars have just evolved in the wrong direction....too much bodywork....bleh. Open wheel cars are supposed to be dangerous by nature... and for all the haters out there who say "well all you want to see is Carnage!" damn straight skippy. I'll admit it. I watch racing because folks are risking thier lives for my entertainment. Its exciting. Worked for the Romans. It doesn't work today though. Too many folks wanting to place blame and recieve money if something bad should happen at the track. Litigation and racing just shouldn't go together. Racing is inherently dangerous. and hence...exhilerating!
      Last edited by oldsman496; October 29, 2012, 08:56 AM.
      Mike in Southwest Ohio

Comment

I love it when Aussie touring cars are on...I even like when Speed used to show the big rigs running round the European road courses. I cant stand most american racing, seems that Europe and Australia is where it is at...It is boring, political and driven by greed. I do enjoy the amatures when they are on, dirt track, outlaws, modifieds...those are a blast to watch.
        If you can leave two black stripes from the exit of one corner to the braking zone of the next, you have enough horsepower. - Mark Donohue

Comment

Indy needs to go back to it's routes, period.

Nascar may be too big to fix.
          There's always something new to learn.

Comment

Both those racing organizations would do 10x better if Big Business got out of the way....... IMO once a sport becomes a sport "for profit", it's no longer the same as it used to be...... You start getting to many hands in the kitty and that's when the Politics comes in and we all know how Politics is the start of the end.........

Comment

I havent enjoyed watching a race since I was about 12, way back when the cars still looked like stuff you could buy on the showroom floor. I would much rather be in the race than watching it. Nascar has been yawnville since the mid 80s. Indy hasnt had anything going for it in a damn long time.

Watching something with way too much power, not enough tire, on dirt or pavement can be entertaining though. Seems to me the best racing is the cheap stuff, low buck, high powered, no corporate anything, just raw brutal toys making stupid noise and handling like the Winged Express. Keep it simple.

Comment

Originally posted by milner351 View Post
                Indy needs to go back to it's routes, period.

Nascar may be too big to fix.
                Ditto
                Thom

"The object is to keep your balls on the table and knock everybody else's off..."

Comment

Indycar and nascar sealed their fate when they started refering to it as a "product" like Mike Helton did last night on Wind Tunnel.

I also agree that indycar needs to just start over and nascar is ruined forever.
                  Just groovin' to my own tune.

Comment

Politcs are ever present in racing. Doesn't matter whether its on the world stage or the local bullring.
                    I'm still learning

Comment

Originally posted by Caveman Tony View Post
                      ......If we had a series that ran snotty, hairy-chested, snarling, evil big-block CAN-AM cars with modern innovations......
                      ever watch the Lucas Oil Dirt Late Model series ? NASCAR Super Modifieds ?, even the big block dirt modifieds that run the upper east coast. still lots of bad ass racing out there, ESPN isnt spoon feeding it to you anymore
                      Charles W - BS Photographer at large

Comment

How come you didn't include NHRA? You think top fuel or funny cars are in anyway more interesting than Indy or Nascar? NHRA now has 1000 ft drag, gear rules, nitro precentage rule, number of mags or fuel pumps, etc. Funny cars look just like the one on the dealers floor. Now I'm not saying the other series you mentioned are any better, I'm just adding to the list.

Now, if you want to see different ideas and technology on a budget go land speed racing . it's one of the few remaining motorsports that leave the engine rules open to the racer. You just knew I had to go there huh?
                        There are very few people in this world who's opinion I value, you are not one of them.

300 in 1999

Comment

Racing like all sports is a form of entertainment. The purpose of entertainment is to entertain. It's a distraction to our lives. Something we watch and get involved in to forget about our lives for a while.
                          BS'er formally known as Rebeldryver

Resident Instigator

sigpic

Comment

Racing like all sports is a form of entertainment. The purpose of entertainment is to entertain. It's a distraction to our lives. Something we watch and get involved in to forget about our lives for a while.
                            I agree and I think that is why I choose not to go the the movies like I used to or watch professional sports in general. Once you take away the ingenuity of the individual rather than the collection of people or corporations you get more rules and guidelines than necessary. I realize that money is the driver but............ how much money do they need? Everyone wants to see the best but at what cost. I can't believe that it seem every time I turn on a sport lately there is a commercial. I get it that they are the engine that drives the bus then why do they charge 100 dollars to go to a race? Maybe that is why I am giving up on them.
                            Solutions are often obvious once you get the questions right.

Comment

Seems they've all become homogenized
                              Thom

"The object is to keep your balls on the table and knock everybody else's off..."

Comment

Working...
                              X