2013 Automobile of the Year: Tesla Model S

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 2013 Automobile of the Year: Tesla Model S

Interesting….an electric car that works!
    The price tag puts it out of reach of the average consumer (although a new Ford Explorer is now pushing 40 grand...) and I’m not convinced that it can handle all the climates of the 50 states…but it sounds like a real electric car.

I guess if nothing else, they at least DID something with OUR money…

Last edited by andy30thz; November 2, 2012, 08:00 AM.

interesting.
    funny they mention the little boxer cars available..they aren't stupid.

I found it odd they have to stand alone, like a boxer.
    ambiguous I guess.

if gm or ford or dodge split across themselves the undertaking a flat four, a flat six, and teslas leap into electric..
    they'd still be doing better than a fake double numbered HP in a sideways four banger doing donuts with a giant sitting in the back seat to fit...posted all over you tube with drama.

..and kids still buy the stuff.
    Last edited by Barry Donovan; November 2, 2012, 10:46 AM.
    Previously boxer3main
    the death rate and fairy tales cannot kill the nature left behind.

Comment

Excellent observation!

Comment

I got a chance to look closely at one of these at the Tesla store in a mall near melast week. A really amazing car, especially at the base price around $60K. By no means cheap, but it makes other four doors in that price range look like quaint antiques of the 80's.
        Drag Week 2006 & 2012 - Winner Street Race Big Block Naturally Aspirated - R/U 2007 Broke DW '05 and Drag Weekend '15 Coincidence?

Comment

don't believe it

Comment

I'm with Jim. Myth.

Nine year old company and you know how many I have seen? I hear the tooth fairy drives a roadster.
            Last edited by Beagle; November 2, 2012, 12:47 PM.
            Flying south, with a flock of bird dogs.

Comment

There are plenty of Tesla sports cars around here. I know of at least of my clients who have them.
              BS'er formally known as Rebeldryver

Resident Instigator

sigpic

Comment

There is a Fisker Karma around here . It would be great with an LS motor in it. Stupid ass electric cars, how about a good electric riding mower thats affordable even a push mower that was strong and worked well would be great.

Comment

I'd like an electric dishwasher and clothes dryer - if someone could come up with something like that I'd be all over it!
                  -dulcich

Comment

I thought car of the year went to a car that was actually a production car, not vaporware, and hand-built cars.
                    Doing it all wrong since 1966

Comment

I wish someone would invent an electric toaster. That would be great, just put a couple slices of bread in and get real toast ready for strawberry jam right out!
                      -dulcich
                      Last edited by dulcich; November 3, 2012, 05:55 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by SuperBuickGuy View Post
                        I thought car of the year went to a car that was actually a production car, not vaporware, and hand-built cars.
                        I agree. I'm not impressed with this. I doubt this will result in new showrooms being flooded with new customers........
                        Ed, Mary, & 'Earl'
                        HRPT LongHaulers, 08, 09, 10, 11, 12, 13, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19.

Inside every old person is a young person wondering, "what the hell happened?"

The man at the top of the mountain didn't fall there. -Vince Lombardi

Comment

Originally posted by SuperBuickGuy View Post
                          Kind of like winning a Nobel Peace Prize for what it 'could' do. Just a hollow prize that dimishies the value and integrity of the prize.

Saw one at the Morro Bay car show during the anti-tour this year.
                          Escaped on a technicality.

Comment

Originally posted by TheSilverBuick View Post
                            Kind of like winning a Nobel Peace Prize for what it 'could' do. Just a hollow prize that dimishies the value and integrity of the prize.

Saw one at the Morro Bay car show during the anti-tour this year.
                            had to go there
                            Doing it all wrong since 1966

Comment

Elon Musk is blah.

Anyone see the over-the-shoulder filming of when he met Bob Lutz (at SEMA)?

I think it was part of a documentary on electric cars...

Musk looked like :

A. a deer in the headlights
                              B. a kid at school who wanted to sit at the cool kids table
                              C. a new hire who would stop at nothing short of butt-sharking to impress the boss
                              D. a mono-syllabic dork who's vocab is over-extended by the phrases "uh-huh", "mmm.. really?", and "yes, of course"

I appreciate what Tesla is trying to do, but holy crap, it sure seems like they half-ass it in the quality department. IMHO, from what I saw in that documentary.
                              Last edited by Caveman Tony; November 3, 2012, 09:07 AM.
                              Yes, I'm a CarJunkie... How many times would YOU rebuild the same engine before getting a crate motor?

Comment

Working...
                              X