Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Cameras

Hey guys,

I know there are a few skilled photographers on the board and would like a little advice. I was thinking of upgrading cameras since I do so much travelling. What are some things to look at when purchasing Cameras? I would shooting mostly outdoors but would also do some shots of indoor housing renos. I would say the budget is around $750

depends on how many pictures you want to take at ? me i can go out and shoot 1,000-1,500 pix at some of the big events I go to in a weekend. If you're a casual photographer shooting what you like I would recommend a all in one type camera. The Nikon coolpix line is pretty much bullet proof, I got one for my daughter last year at x-mas and she does all kinds of crazy stuff with it. I would recommend this bad boy, shoots photos and video

Shop the latest mirrorless & DSLR cameras and NIKKOR lenses from the official Nikon eCommerce site. Explore our innovations and photo equipment!
    Charles W - BS Photographer at large

Comment

p510..
      nice one.
      I am running an ancient little coolpix.
      macros are still very good.
      tiny lenses suck..I don't like fish lensed capturing automobiles, but the later model mentioned fixes that.

I also noticed the sun is resembling film capture, no triangles..very nice.

I still browse old ones, craigslist etc.
      Previously boxer3main
      the death rate and fairy tales cannot kill the nature left behind.

Comment

I don't want to lug a $750 camera around, so I have a $200 point and shoot. It takes decent videos too.

I do end up replacing it every couple years....feature creep, and wear and tear make them not last too long.
        My fabulous web page

"If it don't go, chrome it!" --Stroker McGurk

Comment

do you want or need interchangeable lenses?
          Reading , Pa
          Good Guys rodders rep.
          "putting the seat down is women's work" Archie Bunker.
          Ban low performance drivers not high performance cars .

Comment

Originally posted by ls7gto View Post
            do you want or need interchangeable lenses?
            I will answer that question with a question:
            Why would one want or need interchangeable lenses?

Comment

You can't go wrong with a Sony Nex Camera.. Point and shoot size, with dslr tech, and the ability to have interchangeable lenses. I have a nex-5 but I believe it's up to a nex-7 now.
              Powertour off/on since 2002
              sigpic

Comment

because One lens can do everything...just not as good . just like hot rodding, everything has trade offs. It also depends on what you want to do with the pics.
                At this point in the development of digital photography, there is a camera for every buyer . In selecting which camera is right for you, one of the basic considerations will be whether to get a fixed lens or camera that lets you change lenses. These days the question is not as clear cut as … Continue reading "Fixed Lens or Interchangeable?"

That being said, for most a point and shoot is fine. As for myself , I could never go back. I hate waiting for the lens to zoom in and out.
                I take pics for me, and even though I still suck, it is fun trying to challenge myself to capture what "MY MIND" sees.
                Reading , Pa
                Good Guys rodders rep.
                "putting the seat down is women's work" Archie Bunker.
                Ban low performance drivers not high performance cars .

Comment

My wife has a digital SLR, it's nice for some things, but it sure is big, and the extra lens makes it even more inconvenient.

I love being able to put a camera in my pocket. But I also like having a bit larger lens than will fit on a phone.
                  My fabulous web page

Comment

First and foremost, decide how you actually use a camera. For most people, a primary concern is small and efficient. That would be cameras like Canon G series or Nikon Coolpix. Going a step up, you might want to look at Canon T series, well below your budget, do excellent video, interchangeable lens and not that much of a burden.

You really should go look at the Sony line too. They have put some amazing technology on the Nex lineup. No matter what you end up liking, actually put it in your hands and see if it works for you. Viewfinder, where the controls are, how your fingers fit are critical elements.
                    Why dance when you can rock and roll?

Comment

Get that little square battery... Canon cameras have it and some others.. My daughter and I bought cameras that use AA types.. Even with rechargeables they do not last while my son and wife never seem to charge their's.

Comment

The problem with point n shoot is the lens/zoom. The more OPTICAL zoom the better. Digital zoom is useless I.M.O. It just makes the photos more grainy. If you are pretty close to your subjects then its hard to beat the small cameras. As a matter of fact I have 3 point n shoot cameras. One is waterproof for kayak trips, and the others live in backpack/glove box on trips. For longer focal distance, lower light, or fast moving subjects, you simply cannot beat a DSLR.
                        A.K.A. Brian
                        Jack of many trades-master of none

Comment

Originally posted by DirtyWhiteBoy View Post
                          The problem with point n shoot is the lens/zoom. The more OPTICAL zoom the better. Digital zoom is useless I.M.O. It just makes the photos more grainy. If you are pretty close to your subjects then its hard to beat the small cameras. As a matter of fact I have 3 point n shoot cameras. One is waterproof for kayak trips, and the others live in backpack/glove box on trips. For longer focal distance, lower light, or fast moving subjects, you simply cannot beat a DSLR.
                          I agree on digital zoom. My old Nikon Coolpix L100 had 10x zoom in the lens and 15x digitally. As soon as you hit the digital zoom, the picture quality went to crap. It wouldn't even focus on a object, so I had to shoot with it in scenery mode if I wanted to shoot that far.
                          BS'er formally known as Rebeldryver

Resident Instigator

sigpic

Comment

All that digital zoom does, is crop the image. You can do that with photo editing software (such as microsoft paint, that comes with windows)
                            My fabulous web page

Comment

There are several factors you need to decide on, some of which have been covered here. What is your need? Are you shooting just for fun stuff and to send pics via email/facebook/ ect? If so, a point and shoot style might be the best for you. Nikon does have a new one out someone already mentioned. Its the P510. This camera has a built in zoom lens of 1000 mm which will allow you to zoom in on your subject. Interchangeable lenses are of higher quality, cost more, are larger and go on slr digital cameras. Nikon has several new models out such as the D3200 and the D600. Should be in your price range of $600-700. If at a later time you want a specialty type lens you can buy the lens and use it on your nikon digital slr camera body. The smaller point and shoot cameras are not lens changeable, what you see is what you get.

While all I have ever used are the top nikon pro equipment, there are several other brands just as good. Send me a pm if you have specific questions. Best of luck!
                              Life is too short to drive boring cars!

Comment

Working...
                              X