FSC Magazine's 632 BBC: A Total Badass

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• FSC Magazine's 632 BBC: A Total Badass

I thought you crazy gearheads would like to check out this motor Troy Bowen at Pacific Performance built us for one of our project cars, the Godzilla Nova. It made 871hp/849ft lbs. on 91 octane pump fuel, and 1,222 on a 300 (two 150s) shot from an NOS new Dual Stage plate. We dyno'd it at Westech, Steve Brule is a magician. Ron Blanchard over at Performance Carbs was there too, kept the fuel curve nice and steady with the custom PC 4500. Check it out.

Re: FSC Magazine's 632 BBC: A Total Badass

i hate you :'( :'( :'( that is my dream motor right there, that needs to go into a 69' Z28 asap and that needs delivered to my door(no paint lots of rust) ;D ;D ;D

Comment

that's a neat motor for the noise, and makes decent power on pump gas for the inches, but I am afraid in this day and age, it's a dinosaur. You could make that kind of power on an Ecotec 4-banger for similar money, and 30mpg during cruise.

Still, it's pretty, and Steve B is definitley the tuning whiz when it comes to carburetion!! will you guys ever consider alternative powerplants in the future? I wouldn't mind doing a 1000hp streetable ecotec someday down the road...
      www.realtuners.com - catch the RealTuners Radio Podcast on Youtube, Facebook, iTunes, and anywhere else podcasts are distributed!

Comment

Ha ha ha ha, you have to be joking. ;D

Comment

It's a dinosaur that, in the marketplace, outnumbers $20,000 turbo four-bangers by about 10,000:1.

I will say, though, that while that engine is great and anyone would love to have one and I am really not bashing it at all...I can't say it's "total badass." It makes 1.37 hp/ci. That would be a 480hp 350, a 525hp 383, or a 740 hp 540. In other words, totally the norm for a healthy pump-gas engine.

Comment

Originally posted by Freiburger
            It's a dinosaur that, in the marketplace, outnumbers $20,000 turbo four-bangers by about 10,000:1.

I will say, though, that while that engine is great and anyone would love to have one and I am really not bashing it at all...I can't say it's "total badass." It makes 1.37 hp/ci. That would be a 480hp 350, a 525hp 383, or a 740 hp 540. In other words, totally the norm for a healthy pump-gas engine.
            It sounds like it will make a great street/strip combination.

Jake, have you and DeeDub got a grudge race in the works??? Looks like his Nova and your Maverick could be a blast to watch run together.

Ron
            It's really no different than trying to glue them back on after she has her way.

Comment

Yes Dave, I guess if you want to compare other smaller inch engines with the same hp/ci ratio maybe it is mediocre. But..... it's not a 480hp 350 or a 750hp 540. It's a 632 that made 870 on nuts, and could potentially make much much more with a mech. roller camshaft. Hell, we never even pulled the valvecovers! This motor could easily make 1,500+

If bottomline horsepower, and ultimately acceleration, is what is considered badass, then this is it in our book. This is no 479 hp small-block with 13:1 compression (D. Glad, lol)

So you're saying my 347 that made 670 is more of a badass than a 632 that makes 870 just because it has a better power per cubic inch? You're slippin' bro.... LOL

Just sayin.'

Comment

Originally posted by NMCA_Ron

It sounds like it will make a great street/strip combination.

Jake, have you and DeeDub got a grudge race in the works??? Looks like his Nova and your Maverick could be a blast to watch run together.

Ron
                Oh yeah, I predict we will have to low 9-second PROJECT CARS by next year that we will grudge race. I don't think my current little nitrous motor could run with this beast though....

Our next engine buildup will be a 306 that will make 1,100 without an intercooler. We're just crazy over here at FSC, he he he.

Comment

No, I'm saying that a 632 that makes 870 is normal, not unusual. Like I said, doesn't mean it's not good and fun and impressive and all that, but it's not groundbreaking, either. If bottomline horsepower and acceleration is badass, then you could have been more badass.

Comment

Sorry man, but a 632 only making 870 on nuts is not anything to brag about, better keep the bottle open and watch who you pull up against on a Street Race.

As much as I hate to be in Daves side of looking at things, he is right on this one, good motor but nothing to brag about. CDBill makes that many onions out of his Ford Mustang
                    2007 SBN/A Drag Week Winner & First only SBN/A Car in the 9's Till 2012
                    First to run in the .90s .80s and .70's in SBN/A
                    2012 SSBN/A Drag Week Winner First in the 9.60's/ 9.67 @ 139 1.42 60'
                    2013 SSBN/A Drag Week, Lets quit sand bagging, and let it rip!

Comment

Originally posted by dieselgeek
                      that's a neat motor for the noise, and makes decent power on pump gas for the inches, but I am afraid in this day and age, it's a dinosaur. You could make that kind of power on an Ecotec 4-banger for similar money, and 30mpg during cruise.

Still, it's pretty, and Steve B is definitley the tuning whiz when it comes to carburetion!! will you guys ever consider alternative powerplants in the future? I wouldn't mind doing a 1000hp streetable ecotec someday down the road...
                      I agree with Diesel Geek.
                      -dulcich

Comment

Then start putting lots of turbo Ecotecs on Engine Masters covers.

Comment

and when has a ecotec ever made a woman shudder in pleasure from the sound?? that 632 is a monster, you could be picking chicks up on the sound alone.stick it in a 30's chevy coupe and you have THE best hotrod bar none,add a 500 shot just for the hell of it

Comment

Originally posted by Joes66chevy
                            and when has a ecotec ever made a woman shudder in pleasure from the sound?? that 632 is a monster, you could be picking chicks up on the sound alone.stick it in a 30's chevy coupe and you have THE best hotrod bar none,add a 500 shot just for the hell of it
                            Kid, chicks don't care about how big your engine is, but...

I would rather have an engine that I could realistically drive somewhere other than to the gas station, sorry.
                            -dulcich

Comment

While the ecotec thing is cool, it wouldn't get anyone's attention in your average good looking muscle car. Big Block awe is something you just can't get with numbers. With that said, I'm sure these guys could have stepped on this thing and made bigger power. The important thing is they are happy and will have a ton of fun with this thing.

And yes, CDMBill does make 800+ out of his 580 inch Ford/BBC ;D and drives the snot out of it. I've driven that car on the freeway and around town, and it's like grandma's Olds. The EMS Pro in that thing rules and is the same setup I run on Rusty. Fun to tune and oh so nice for drivability and mileage. Oh, and he's working on the nitrous setup now. Good job Bill.
                              "A cross thread is better than a lock washer." Earl Lanning...My Grandpa

Comment

Working...
                              X