Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: I love my neighborhood...

Originally posted by Eliteman76
    Well, if you are able to headed to lincoln for the PT event, just look for a tan primered fastback Torino...hopefully I will not have gotten into too much trouble with the local authorities...

Andy
    Take a bunch of pics and post em here, please.
    BS'er formally known as Rebeldryver

Resident Instigator

sigpic

Comment

My mom and dad both were from Omaha. I'm going out for a family reunion this summer. I'm old enough to remember when 96th was so far out in the country that nobody lived there! Not any more.

When I was a little kid we stayed with my Dad's folks while he was overseas. They lived just off of North 30th across from Fort Omaha. That part of down has really gone downhill lately.

Is the 1/8th mile track you guys are talking about the one south of Council Bluffs? A couple of years ago I was in Omaha for the International Studebaker Driver's Club Meet and a few of us went over to that track so the hot Studebaker guys to do their thing. A long drive for a few 1/8th mile runs, but it was fun to watch. There is a guy in Omaha who has a '41 Studebaker 2 door sedan powered by a Studebaker R2 (Paxton Super charger) V8. He runs at that strip quite a lot.

I also remember going to Carter Lake as a kid for picnics and such. My Grandfather worked as a yard master with the Chicago Northwestern Railroad. Those yards are gone now too. Lots of changes -- but then that is true of most places over the last 50 years or so.

Comment

Hey JR, yeah, around Omaha these days, it's weird, to say the least.
        The city signed an major agreement with the NCAA for the college world series event to be here guaranteed until like 2025 or something crazy like that.
        Guess what, Rosenblatt Stadium, is gone after 2009. WTF.
        It's funny, at first the zoo here, which is a honestly a very very high end zoo, was like, "no, we have no intentions of trying to get the land that currently is Rosenblatt", man, what a freaking load of BS.
        Now, we don't have to pay for parking, the Stadium, which was pretty recently renovated with about 24 million in bonds still open, is going to get leveled in 2009.
        They are going to move the stadium, downtown, next to the Qwest center. Oone of their things, is the parking issues, the neighborhoods complaining about local beer gardens, but it's pretty funny those same people don't mind hosing visitors for parking their car in their yard 6 deep for $25-$50 a game...I knew a person who bought a house, lived there like 3 years before moving, and made, per year, and easy $2k over the entire event.
        Sorry, didn't ment to ramble.
        As far as Omaha, yeah, it's nuts. Still trying to keep the small city mentality, but the city of Omaha and it's BS annexed the City of Elkhorn, man what a crock of s**t that was, all just to get the tax base added to Omaha, the lawsuits from the residents of Elkhorn against the City of Omaha, the state of course siding with Omaha...just a joke.
        Omaha has filled in so drastically in the last 15 years, more or less as long as I've been driving, stuff that used to be farm land, and empty spaces, all devoloped now.
        In the last year, they built a new mall complex in Sarpy county, one of those out door malls, trying to replicate some old time small town business district, but it's not all bad I guess. Go to the store you want, walk around if the weather is good, have a heart attack when you see how the wife goes nuts with the wallet, that sorta thing... ;D :o
        Andrew
        1972 Ford Gran Torino Sport and other FoCoMo problem children

2020...year of getting screwed by a Narcissist and learning hard lessons into trusting the wrong people on a business venture.
        2021...year of singing "99 problems but an asshole ain't one"

Moved cross country twice on a role of the dice...I left Nebraska and came back to Nebraska.

Comment

speaking of neighborhoods, I think the most beautiful place one could live, is in the Upper Penninsula of Michigan, or the wine country in Traverse City on the bay, if you have never been here, you are missing something beautiful, the people are so nice in the upper parts of Michigan......
          One of the most beautiful lakes in the world, voted top 5 in the world is Torch lake near traverse city, the water looks like a pool, just a "lot" on this lake is over a million dollars, without a house on it, laughing, we pitch tents......

Comment

I've seen the changes. I moved away in '88 and I've been back three times several years apart. Papillion really hasn't grown that much over the years. I grew up off of Cedar Dale Rd and South Washington, which becomes 84th St going North. I lived on Lafayette Dr which ended on the south at Cedar Dale. There was a cow farm beyond that all the way to Hwy 370. That was developed why we lived there. The smell in summer improved.

72nd ended at Giles Rd between Ralston and La Vista.

There was nothing between 66th or Rumsey Rd and Hwy 75 in Bellevue on Cornhusker Hwy except an old grass air field. It's almost all filled in now. Hwy 75 is actually a highway now. It became a four lane street at Offutt AFB north to the Kennedy Freeway which was only about four miles long south of I-80.

As for Rosenblatt, it was a shanty back in the day. I was shocked how nice it is now. The Ball Park Pub a couple blocks down the street used to be the Omaha hangout for the Hells Angels. People leaving the College World Series steered a wide birth around all those Harleys lined up in front of it.

I could go on and on. As for Omaha annexing. That started way back in early 1900's when they annexed South Omaha. They annexed Ralston in my lifetime. The only reason Bellevue, La Vista and Papillion haven't been annexed is that state law prohibits annexing across county lines.

Some things that haven't changed: The old apartment building my Dad once owned. Still a crap hole. It's on 33rd just north of L st, or 275, or what ever they call it now. In summer it was down wind of the stock yards and the meat packing plants. P-eeww!!

BS'er formally known as Rebeldryver

Resident Instigator

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by whiplash
              speaking of neighborhoods, I think the most beautiful place one could live, is in the Upper Penninsula of Michigan, or the wine country in Traverse City on the bay, if you have never been here, you are missing something beautiful, the people are so nice in the upper parts of Michigan......
              One of the most beautiful lakes in the world, voted top 5 in the world is Torch lake near traverse city, the water looks like a pool, just a "lot" on this lake is over a million dollars, without a house on it, laughing, we pitch tents......
              I have to agree with you, I grew up in northern INdiana and we'd spend a lot of our summers (fishing trips) and winters (snowmobile trips) in UP Michigan, and it's a beautiful place with friendly people. I wouldn't mind living there, in the summer it's beautiful - winter is nice too if you don't mind lake effect snow (which I like, I hate cold weather without snow).

AS for Omaha, I've been here since 1996, and even in that short time it's grown like crazy. I can't believe they're going to level Rosenblatt Stadium - they just fixed it up a few years ago and it is suppsoed to be the nicest baseball stadium of its' size in the whole country!

The zoo here is great, it's as nice as the San Diego or Cincinatti Zoo... we also just built one of the nicest performance venues in the world too, "The Holland Center" - if you're a music and acoustics junkie like me, it's about the best place to hear a symphony (I nkow, car junkies are asking WTF is wrong with this nerd)
              www.realtuners.com - catch the RealTuners Radio Podcast on Youtube, Facebook, iTunes, and anywhere else podcasts are distributed!

Comment

I can remember going to minor league games at Rosenblatt with my grandparents when I was a young kid. It was fun. Sorry to hear that it will soon be gone.

Comment

Working...
                X