Fixing stuff for friends...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Fixing stuff for friends...

I have known my friend Chris since High School. He is an incredibly talented musician and has toured the world with his band and others. In true punk rocker guy fashion, his car is an old shitbox. A 1998 Corolla with three hundred and elevendy thousand million miles on it. He was having issues with it and since I am the "guy who knows stuff about cars", he asked me to take a look. Well long story short, I replaced the rear struts today and am replacing the power steering pump tomorrow. The car is a death trap as it currently sits, so at least it will be a little safer for him to beat around in. I am giving him a list of junk that he needs to do right now when the car leaves my driveway tomorrow. Tires are on top.

I am not bitching about doing this, I actually have enjoyed working on the little car, thus far. The strut job wasn't bad and the PS pump isn't going to be all that tough tomorrow.

Anyone else fix their friends junk for them?

Here's an idea of just how shot the rear struts were on this thing and yeah, it needs an alignment when I am done!
    Attached Files
    Last edited by Brian Lohnes; November 9, 2012, 07:52 PM.
    That which you manifest is before you.

Yep.......been there several times over the years.

Many times it will be stuff that I've noticed on the car and
    suggested it be fixed....and I end up doing it.
    Thom

"The object is to keep your balls on the table and knock everybody else's off..."

Comment

Originally posted by Brian Lohnes View Post
      Anyone else fix their friends junk for them?
      Yeah, as paid work....but if they want to work on it to, I'll help them for free.
      My fabulous web page

"If it don't go, chrome it!" --Stroker McGurk

Comment

I'm really torn on doing this type of stuff. I've done plenty and most folks don't appreciate it - they just don't understand how much effort was expended on their behalf. Those who will get it I'll help and generally those are the folks who do some of their own work but come to me because it's outside their skill set - or tool set.

If the receipient gets it I really like doing the job - kinda fun to dust off the old skills.

Dan

Comment

Been helping my friend Ryan tweak and upgrade his '00 Suburban. Projector headlights and matching front signals, Spectre intake, and a new trans pan gasket. He's been hanging around me working on my junk, and learning too...was helping me and Alex with the engine swaps.
          Editor-at-Large at...well, here, of course!

"Remy-Z, you've outdone yourself again, I thought a Mirada was the icing on the cake of rodding, but this Imperial is the spread of little 99-cent candy letters spelling out "EAT ME" on top of that cake."

Comment

I am constantly doin' stuff for free for friends an family. They know I have the tools and don't really mind doin' it. I also know that they know i'm poor, so that if they offer to pay me, i will gladly accept it. Trouble is, none of my friends are rich, so I really don't expect payment... Its just good to be able to help them out... when I had to move in a hurry, a couple folks paid me back by helpin me move... kinda like a barter system.... works for me. Just bought brake parts for my moms impala today.... prolly next weekend. did a motor mount for my son a while back, he's takin' me to the new Bond movie next weekend.... its all good.
            Mike in Southwest Ohio

Comment

I do, and right now I'm sick of it.

The last few weeks I have struggled left and right on a friend's Acura TL. I finally got the left front wheel bearing done tonight, started to pull it out tonight to give it a quick test drive and the Right front lower ball joint lets go. Somehow the nut came off and the taper seperated. Pulled the Inner CV joint out and tore the boot in two. Tomorrow I get to tear the damned thing apart again and rebuild the axle. After this, I quit.

Comment

I generally stay away from friend's cars if they are modern or foreign stuff. This is mostly because I don't have the tools or the talent to mess with those cars. I've helped friends with their old cars and do get paid to work on a few older cars.
                BS'er formally known as Rebeldryver

Resident Instigator

sigpic

Comment

I work on my wife's car. My friends can work on their own stuff since they do it for a living.
                  Just groovin' to my own tune.

Comment

Originally posted by 98ciHemi View Post

The last few weeks I have struggled left and right on a friend's Acura TL. I finally got the left front wheel bearing done tonight, started to pull it out tonight to give it a quick test drive and the Right front lower ball joint lets go. Somehow the nut came off and the taper seperated. Pulled the Inner CV joint out and tore the boot in two. Tomorrow I get to tear the damned thing apart again and rebuild the axle. After this, I quit.
                    can't blame you for quitting after this.
                    I gave up the sideways engines 25 years ago.

you are more patient than that, obviously.

I wroked at a quick lube, free stuff happened alot. little things..
                    there was some serious stuff along the way, motor mounts loose all kinds of things, I remeber having tools on alot more than oil pans.
                    which was another thing..tightening oil pans.

sometimes I would not even mention it.
                    dust covers, auto tranny..e brake cables of the old kind. they used to just dangle..ridiculous.
                    Previously boxer3main
                    the death rate and fairy tales cannot kill the nature left behind.

Comment

Originally posted by 98ciHemi View Post

I hear ya, and I only do things for a very select few friends. I have loaned carbs, tires, distributors, and all manner of other parts to get people on the road, all to never been seen again, or sold when they get rid of the POS. Some people I will do a hell of a lot for, others better have cash.

The ones I will go the distance to help are those who are willing to help me.

Walt is one such friend.

The person who owns the truck that rotor came from, and her son, his girlfriend, and everyone related to them need to have cash now, even for a ride somewhere.

Comment

I charge more than the shops, an electrician, and a plumber. I'm happy to do it on a flat rate, paid in advance.

I work on my dad's junk for free. Come to think of it, I've fixed a couple of yard tools (weedeaters) at work for folks that didn't need parts. If it needs parts, it needs to go to the shop. If it needs a lot of work, it needs to be replaced. I won't take pay and if it doesn't work, you get what you paid for. I don't do reworks either. I won't touch their cars.

I got a lawn mower pulley down on the coast a couple of weeks ago (Sorry Charles, was in and out, didn't have time to call) the guy said "I don't know if it will work or not. If it doesn't, bring it back and we'll try to get something else to work. If it does, come back and pay me for it. If I'm not here leave a couple of bucks under the rock"

WOW - you don't see that a lot any more. I knew it would work so we just paid him there. The guy didn't know me from Adam. He probably thinks like I do sometimes. If I give you something, that's what it was. A gift. If you want to pay for it, do so. Otherwise, I consider it a gift and don't get my feelings hurt. I'd be monetarily richer if I didn't do this stuff, but I sleep pretty good.
                        Last edited by Beagle; November 10, 2012, 04:08 AM.
                        Flying south, with a flock of bird dogs.

Comment

I always help people that are in tight situations .... car and money wise. All I ever ask is that they help pay for the parts if they can. It has led to some "real" referrals .... so much so that it helps pay for the hotrod fund now ....
                          Whiskey for my men ... and beer for their horses!

Comment

Been there done that, been taken advantage of several times. I try to be careful of whom I do what for, and usually try to look for a way they can return the favor - baby sitting, washing my car while I'm working on theirs, something like that. Boundaries is a good book to reference when trying to decide who / what you want to do in this situation.
                            There's always something new to learn.

Comment

Milner, X2 on the Boundaries book. I had to implement a few boundaries after having to many friends cars in my garage instead of my own. Almost should havd installed on of those gas station bells.
                              Bakersfield, CA.

Comment

Working...
                              X