Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 6 Banger

DB sent me a collection of photos RE "A Gearhead's House."

Most all of them were Volkwagen related.

Here's a beefy-looking 6 cylinder block where the cylinders are set off from each other at an angle.

I asked Bob, what's that? He didn't know, and I sure don't know.

Click image for larger version

Name:	6 Banger.JPG
Views:	1
Size:	33.4 KB
ID:	879367
    Charter member of the Turd Nuggets

Vw vr6 - I've seen them in Scirrocos, don't know if they went in anything else
    Last edited by chevy3100truck; November 13, 2012, 05:00 PM.

Comment

VR6 engine used in the Golf, Passat, Corrado (that was the replacement for the Scirroco). Neat little engine that made good power, had one cylinder head to cover both "banks".

cheers
      Ed
      Ed Nicholson - Caledon Ontario - a bit NW of Toronto
      07 Mustang GT with some stuff
      88 T-Bird Turbo Coupe 5-speed

Comment

Interesting design. I'd never heard of it before.

More here:
        Act your age, not your shoe size. - Prince

Comment

A few kids at my high school had VR6 powered cars, I never knew of the layout though. Neat sounding engines.
          Dustin in Pennsylvania

Comment

From Bob:

Comment

when I was living in Phoenix there was a guy who was working at a very high end european shop and had an A2 GTI with a VR6 with a vortec supercharger, very very nasty car.

Ive driven a dfferent A2 golf/rabbit that had a turboed VR6, incredibly fast car if you could get it to go straight, torque steered like a mofo
              Charles W - BS Photographer at large

Comment

Originally posted by peewee View Post
                DB sent me a collection of photos RE "A Gearhead's House."

Most all of them were Volkwagen related.

Here's a beefy-looking 6 cylinder block where the cylinders are set off from each other at an angle.

I asked Bob, what's that? He didn't know, and I sure don't know.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]15239[/ATTACH]
                That's cool, I want one for the man cave!
                Long Haul Gang 2011,12,13,14,15,16,17,19
                The older I get The Faster I was!

Comment

Originally posted by SSChevyManiac View Post
                  A few kids at my high school had VR6 powered cars, I never knew of the layout though. Neat sounding engines.
                  very unique sound..
                  I only heard one local, gold looking rabbit kind of chassis..very peculiar to the ears.
                  seemed it layed on throttle alot like an inline..alot of noise, not as offensive noise..just not much happening. Sound good anyway.
                  Previously boxer3main
                  the death rate and fairy tales cannot kill the nature left behind.

Comment

I never looked at a crank for one before - jeebus, that's a stout looking mother!

7 mains? Wonder if it balances "naturally" like an inline does?
                    Last edited by Beagle; November 15, 2012, 05:46 AM.
                    Flying south, with a flock of bird dogs.

Comment

Originally posted by Beagle View Post
                      I never looked at a crank for one before - jeebus, that's a stout looking mother!

7 mains? Wonder if it balances "naturally" like an inline does?
                      Was wondering about a crank for that! ..
                      Sure one weird lookin engine for sure!

Comment

Didn't VW make a V10 and or V12 version of the same? I think they were in the "Toureg" suv looking things.

I still don't understand why VW is the only company making small passenger car diesels that sell in the USA, sure - Benz does too but they're stratospherically expensive.... it's enfuriating that Euro and US regs are so different.
                        There's always something new to learn.

Comment

I stand back absolutely amazed. Guys, take a photo.

I actually started a car thread! Amazing. A real-live car thread over a coffee table. See there? I DO have something to contribute. Neal, I DO fit, yes I do. You were right, you sure were, asking me that question in Michigan. Yep, I think I'm okay.

Comment

Pdub - you fit just fine - it'd be better if you actually had a table like that in your house though.

;-)
                            There's always something new to learn.

Comment

Originally posted by milner351 View Post
                              Pdub - you fit just fine - it'd be better if you actually had a table like that in your house though.

;-)
                              Back when I was a young buck, I DID have a largantic piston I got from a major speed shop in Charlotte that I used for an ashtray. It wasn't a very good ashtray, but I liked it. Lost that in my first divorce.

Would y'all like to see all of the stuff in the collection that DB sent, the man-cave type of stuff? If you do, you'll put me to work right away. Most all of it VW, though...

Comment

Working...
                              X