My trip to Vegas and pomona.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• My trip to Vegas and pomona.

I don't usually take a camera with me, but this time I did since these were going to be my last races this year.
    I guess I can start off with the car first. It's the first DSR car ever sold. It was Tony's car that they tested in Jan. It's tag number is 007 and they named it Sam squared. It also has Antron's body and wings that came from Lucas. We got the chassis 2 weeks before we left for Vegas. We gathered all the parts and had it at Indy Saturday, they were having an NHRA open race and they were going to let us test. We warmed it up, took it up there, did a burn out, packed it all up and headed to Vegas Sunday night. We got there Wednesday, unpacked, fiddled with a few things and ran a 5.46 at 250 on the first pass on Friday. We had 60 ft's in the .920's the whole time, which is pretty quick for an a/fuel car.
    We ran the National and the Divisional in Vegas, and didn't qualify for either, I think the bump for both of them was a 5.42. Then in Pomona we missed a qualifying run because of rain, tried a few different things and didn't qualify there either. The first lap it ran a .926 60ft and a 2.55 330ft, it was smoking the tires at 300ft though and was still 3rd quickest of the session. We backed it down a little there and it shook the tires, the driver peddled it and it ended up takin out the finish line cone.
    Attached Files
    Originally posted by TC
    also boost will make the cam act smaller

We were in line at Pomona Sunday afternoon. The drive from Vegas to Pomona is one of the coolist short rides there is. I stayed for the finals and headed back to Indiana Monday morning.
    Attached Files
    Originally posted by TC

Comment

Sweet.

Like the on the road pics.
      Thom

"The object is to keep your balls on the table and knock everybody else's off..."

Comment

Thanks,
        We were letting the brakes cool off, at one point there was smoke coming off both rear axles. My Mom sent me a lot of pics on email but I can't figure out how to post those. Anyone care to tell me how?
        Originally posted by TC

Comment

Originally posted by A/Fuel View Post
          Thanks,
          We were letting the brakes cool off, at one point there was smoke coming off both rear axles. My Mom sent me a lot of pics on email but I can't figure out how to post those. Anyone care to tell me how?
          Open them up and save them to your files, I usually put them in My Documents. Then insert them from files
          when you want to post them. Use the icon in the middle.
          It will let you browse for the photo you want to post.
          Thom

"The object is to keep your balls on the table and knock everybody else's off..."

Comment

My Mom and Dad sat in the stands for Q2, and on Q3 I talked them into riding in the tow vehical.
            Attached Files
            Originally posted by TC

Comment

Thanks,
              Was the Jake working properly? how much does the rig weigh? Air Brakes on the trailer too?
              sigpic

Just an Old Drag Racer that still has dreams of going fast!

Comment

I like on the road pictures too and thanks for the insight as to what goes on at the races, .920's 60' times, I haven't paid that much attention but do the TF & FC do any better then that? I realize there's a lot of work to it but that's got to be an awesome gig you have going there, drool, drool, drool!
                sigpic

Comment

No jake on this one, it's now a winter project to get one for it. The trailer brakes are air to hydrolic. We don't go across the scales since it's a motor home, but I think the truck weighs 38,000 and the trailer all loaded has to be 25,000. It usually does fine and we've had that thing coast to coast, border to border. This was just a case of coming over a hill in the wrong gear. You can get over your head real fast in this thing.
                  Originally posted by TC

Comment

Originally posted by Grumpy View Post
                    I like on the road pictures too and thanks for the insight as to what goes on at the races, .920's 60' times, I haven't paid that much attention but do the TF & FC do any better then that? I realize there's a lot of work to it but that's got to be an awesome gig you have going there, drool, drool, drool!
                    .920's were good for the funny cars but there were a few top fuel cars in the .840's. Garret Bateman had the best 60ft in the alcohol dragster with a .905. The first run in Pomona was only our 4th lap on the car and we were just starting to see what the car liked. We never touched the clutch, but had 4 different sets of tires with roll outs between them from 114"-118". On a set of two lap top fuel tires it had 2150 driveshaft at .500 second and wasn't even close to smoking them. That tells me this car is going to work real good. There are people in our class that are trying to get that car out of there, and there are people trying to get one.
                    Attached Files
                    Last edited by A/Fuel; November 15, 2012, 07:52 AM. Reason: spelling
                    Originally posted by TC

Comment

No jake on this one, it's now a winter project to get one for it. The trailer brakes are air to hydrolic. We don't go across the scales since it's a motor home, but I think the truck weighs 38,000 and the trailer all loaded has to be 25,000. It usually does fine and we've had that thing coast to coast, border to border. This was just a case of coming over a hill in the wrong gear. You can get over your head real fast in this thing.
                      I don't know what you're running for a Transmission but retarders are the preferred set up on Buses but they have 6 speed Allison's of course.
                      sigpic

Comment

I don't know what you're running for a Transmission but retarders are the preferred set up on Buses but they have 6 speed Allison's of course.
                        I don't know what kind of Allison it is, except it's a 10spd. It origionally had an automatic so the rear gears seem wrong. If it gets over reved while shifting it acts like it hits a rev limiter and chances are you're going to miss that gear.
                        You just have to pay attention and you'll get used to it.
                        Originally posted by TC

Comment

I don't know what kind of Allison it is, except it's a 10spd. It origionally had an automatic so the rear gears seem wrong. If it gets over reved while shifting it acts like it hits a rev limiter and chances are you're going to miss that gear.
                          You just have to pay attention and you'll get used to it.
                          There's an excellent Transmission shop right down the road from you in Lebanon, Indiana, I've had to take a couple of Buses over there before http://www.pwrtrain.com/
                          sigpic

Comment

Wish I had the time to come check you out, super busy since it cooled off.... Guess there's always next year.......

Comment

There's an excellent Transmission shop right down the road from you in Lebanon, Indiana, I've had to take a couple of Buses over there before http://www.pwrtrain.com/
                              Thanks for the link, it definetly needs some work this winter.
                              Originally posted by TC

Comment

Working...
                              X