F Bomb

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Scott Liggett View Post
    It is hard to focus on a car when you so many. I wonder happened what happened to his 73 stepside. He also had the 78 camaro with the erod LS engine., the crusher camaro, super bee, 67 impala convert, jeep scrambler rock crawler, two flat fendered jeeps, a total crapbox 68 charger and a buick skylark convert, and now it looks like he bought a Cuda.
    Fortunately they do not rot shitty worthless down in LA area like they do here in the Pacific Northwest... Ask SBG, or Austin..or anybody from here..

Comment

Does seem a bit of a letdown that the car sits collecting dust, after all the fanfare that followed it from the build through the movie.

Life happens and priorities change, we all acknowledge that fact...but it does seem curious that a vehicle with so much invested into it just sits idle.

Comment

Originally posted by dieselgeek View Post
        I saw it run at the track, as a bystander of course, what they were calling a fuel pickup problem - seemed more to me like a ignition problem as they turned up the boost. I saw the video and the tach went crazy which is usually a dead giveaway.

I'd love to rewire that car, get it sorted out, and see what it'll do turned up. Maybe some day!

(At the same event CDMBill's car ran like a tenth slower in the other lane on the same pass as the F-bomb's fastest. Naturally aspirated on pump gas ;-) )
        I was thinking how cool it would be if you came out to tune it. Maybe you should email him and offer the help. I'd take off work to help out.
        BS'er formally known as Rebeldryver

Resident Instigator

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by dieselgeek View Post
          I saw it run at the track, as a bystander of course, what they were calling a fuel pickup problem - seemed more to me like a ignition problem as they turned up the boost. I saw the video and the tach went crazy which is usually a dead giveaway.

I'd love to rewire that car, get it sorted out, and see what it'll do turned up. Maybe some day!

(At the same event CDMBill's car ran like a tenth slower in the other lane on the same pass as the F-bomb's fastest. Naturally aspirated on pump gas ;-) )
          that does need some fixing..
          movies and their plastic blowers.

that tach probably does not even have a resistor..getting fed back from something it should not be.
          Last edited by Barry Donovan; November 15, 2012, 09:59 PM.
          Previously boxer3main
          the death rate and fairy tales cannot kill the nature left behind.

Comment

HRM or the publisher, anyway, have several decent cars that you never hear about - but seem to lurk until the next build - example - the 55 chevrolet, the crusher camaro, etc? It's not like the turn to dust and blow away.

As for the Camaro - it started a trend of some amazing hp, street driven cars - but it's actually "old" technology compared to what is out there now e.g.Larry Larson's Nova springs to mind immediately, but as DG pointed out - Bill's car is well within competitive of it as well.... so it's now "the" car that started the road - and that leads me to this thought:

I sometimes wonder about this: when a car gets to the level of any of those cars; isn't that about the time they become museum-type pieces and the owner is no longer the owner but the "caretaker"? Maybe it's a cautionary tale to make your car good, but not that level of good....
            Last edited by SuperBuickGuy; November 15, 2012, 11:14 PM.
            Doing it all wrong since 1966

Comment

Originally posted by Scott Liggett View Post
              I was thinking how cool it would be if you came out to tune it. Maybe you should email him and offer the help. I'd take off work to help out.
              I was there at the CJTV open house when DG plugged his laptop into the F-bomb and found the tune passworded.

(side note, that was my first time meeting Scott, DF, Chad and Keith. I didn't even know who DF was until CJTV, lol)
              Escaped on a technicality.

Comment

How hard would it be to trash can the current cpu for a MS?
                BS'er formally known as Rebeldryver

Resident Instigator

sigpic

Comment

I just don't get it, Nelson built a motor for that car that doesn't perform how it's suppose to and he won't fix it??

Am I the only one here that would be pissed if I took my car to a shop had them install the engine I bought from them and then have them tell me, Oh if you want it to run properly that will be more money??... Or you'll have to wait over 2 years until you just come and get it, because we haven't touched it or cared to fix the problem with it.......

I mean this guy sells these types of motors all day long are you trying to tell me they all have the same problem as the F-bomb does??....... I seriously doubt it...... I have a feeling there is a little more to this story than what's being lead on........

Comment

Originally posted by TC View Post
                    I just don't get it, Nelson built a motor for that car that doesn't perform how it's suppose to and he won't fix it??

Am I the only one here that would be pissed if I took my car to a shop had them install the engine I bought from them and then have them tell me, Oh if you want it to run properly that will be more money??... Or you'll have to wait over 2 years until you just come and get it, because we haven't touched it or cared to fix the problem with it.......

I mean this guy sells these types of motors all day long are you trying to tell me they all have the same problem as the F-bomb does??....... I seriously doubt it...... I have a feeling there is a little more to this story than (we know) what's being lead on........
                    I have to agree with the bolded parts ... which sort of negates everything between them.

Comment

it's more or less a completed project car. DF doesn't drive anything for long before he's on to the next thing and you know that the next thing always gets the available attention.

I personally think he's got an issue with cars once they get painted. You don't see much of them after that.
                      Flying south, with a flock of bird dogs.

Comment

The exitement is in the build.

Comment

Originally posted by Beagle View Post
                          I personally think he's got an issue with cars once they get painted. You don't see much of them after that.
                          Not true in the case of the crusher camaro.

The only thing about the Fbomb that bugs me is that DF has so much money tied up in it. I think that might be what takes the fun out of it? but I dont know
                          My fabulous web page

"If it don't go, chrome it!" --Stroker McGurk

Comment

a bit of the same story on the Bee - HUGE money if I remember correctly. I think his oil pan cost more than my car(s) is worth. I can see him not wanting to put the Bee into CA traffic

The Nelson part of it is definitely a mystery. I would likely be a little pissed but not knowing the whole story I'm not sure who I'd be pissed at. It's supposed to have enough HP to run and compete in DW Unlimited? Not laying down a huge number with it has to be disappointing. I would be crabby that it hadn't reached it's potential and seems to want to fight it tooth and nail.

I'm not sure if it's not fun or he just gets a bigger kick out of beater stories. I know I prefer the beaters... probably pisses off the "Nice Car" readership though, so the FB has it's place.
                            Last edited by Beagle; November 16, 2012, 06:47 AM.
                            Flying south, with a flock of bird dogs.

Comment

Originally posted by TC View Post

I mean this guy sells these types of motors all day long are you trying to tell me they all have the same problem as the F-bomb does??....... I seriously doubt it...... I have a feeling there is a little more to this story than what's being lead on........
                              go ask any OEM for their tuning files. Better yet, go to any of the exotic manufacturers and ask them for their files.... In this day of buy it, copy it, then sell it for 50% - it doesn't surprise me, or even bother me, when a top builder protects his IP. In the end, if a builder protects his IP, it actually could cost less because the builder could sell his IP to several people without worry that selling to one would mean a post on the internet and then no more sales.

another bit - although there are notable exceptions, there are several people on here who would tell you to get bent if you asked them specific questions about what they build....
                              Last edited by SuperBuickGuy; November 16, 2012, 08:06 AM.
                              Doing it all wrong since 1966

Comment

Originally posted by SuperBuickGuy View Post
                                go ask any OEM for their tuning files. Better yet, go to any of the exotic manufacturers and ask them for their files.... In this day of buy it, copy it, then sell it for 50% - it doesn't surprise me, or even bother me, when a top builder protects his IP. In the end, if a builder protects his IP, it actually could cost less because the builder could sell his IP to several people without worry that selling to one would mean a post on the internet and then no more sales.

another bit - although there are notable exceptions, there are several people on here who would tell you to get bent if you asked them specific questions about what they build....

It wasn't the protected tune that concerned me at the time, it was the fact that the firmware was 10+ years old and had not been updated. I can put a tune on something pretty quick and do most of the work with a street drive, but in that case the car needed much more serious help.

TC I don't think there was a problem with the engine, but an Electromotive computer is super sensitive to the way it's wired and installed. I just did an Electromotive Tec3R for the David Vizard project a few weeks ago and it was similarlly finicky to get working right.
                                www.realtuners.com - catch the RealTuners Radio Podcast on Youtube, Facebook, iTunes, and anywhere else podcasts are distributed!

Comment

Working...
                                X