love hate relationship

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• love hate relationship

the headlights took a crap on my DD - yes the 95 olds, and I was able to fix it by using parts from my 99 tahoe ... really ?!?! its cool that both machines used the same parts but it was a freakin pain in the ass to get them out ... UGH, GM engineers from the 90s need a good pimp slap
    Charles W - BS Photographer at large

Who would've thunk?
    Thom

"The object is to keep your balls on the table and knock everybody else's off..."

Comment

had a good feeling that they interchanged, but while i was pulling the stuff out of the tahoe the wife was asking me what I thought about the reliability of the vortec in there and how much it would cost to get it back on the road, then told her bout a LS swap and she actually liked that idea, more power, same if not better gas mileage all stock looking she gave me the green light to do it so now im shopping for a complete LS assembly to swap in

Comment

Well........we'll expect lots of pictures.
        Thom

"The object is to keep your balls on the table and knock everybody else's off..."

Comment

2004 Yukon AWD 6.0L-LS...14mpg interstate 4people
          1997 GMC 1500 5.7-Vortec 3.73 275/60/15...15mpg interstate loaded...19mpg interstate w/oem gears & tire size >> 235/75/15 is 1" taller 275/60/15
          2006 Chevy 1500 4.8L-LS...17mpg interstate empty 2people

IMO, LS swap into a Vortec truck is not worth the effort and will yeild marginal fuel gains.
          http://www.bangshift.com/forum/showt...n-block-wanted

http://www.bangshift.com/forum/showt...-Blue-Turd(le)

Comment

sometimes i hate logic LOL

Comment

Really, it depends on the gearing, if the truck is 4x4 or not, weight, and of course how it is driven. There are plans in the works to get an LS under the hood of my 76 C10 and the 88 1500. I know for a fact it will have more power and get far better mileage with the LS in it than the engines in there now.

Comment

Charles, I hate to say it... I'm usually the guy willing to do that kind of thing, but ... If you put a decent set of cylinder heads on just about any engine, you'll get better gas mileage than same engine with less efficient heads. I'd be surprised if there were any huge enough differences between a good running Vortec L31 350 and a LS of the same size for me to justify swapping them. I'd make the 350 a 383 and have a custom cam spec'd for it before that and I bet you don't lose any mileage and will out torque any LS short of a 6.2 in a usuable truck rpm range. That's just me though.

Enginequest has replacement heads for a few bucks if you have problems with cracking. If the block is cracked like Spidey says they have a lot of problems with, then it's another story. I'd think about what computer changes will need to be made as well. I think you can slide a tow truck spec cam in and it won't care, and the injector needs don't really go up until the RPM / HP goes up. You can make the same HP at redline, but have a donkey cart more low end torque and still use the same injectors (to a point)

I have nothing against the 5.3 but 5000 rpm HP numbers are kinda useless for a truck unless you've got a lot of gear and don't mind spinning it all the time, and then your mileage potentially goes down from the RPM. I'd take the + ~1000 cc from the stroked 350.
                Last edited by Beagle; November 19, 2012, 04:24 AM.
                Flying south, with a flock of bird dogs.

Comment

Working...
                X