Plasti-Dip your car

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Plasti-Dip your car

Buy these products here: http://www.dipyourcar.comTHIS VIDEO IS OUTDATED! Please follow this guide: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OQHOMHr1TcUFor High Re...

Discuss.
    Of all the paths you take in life - make sure a few of them are dirt.

I watched a few of those..especially the one where he was counteracting you tube commentors.

I am a bake the real urethane kinda guy, but...I do know there is environments that like different chemistry. plasti-dip must have worked in some places.
    Even acrylic would not exist if all paint inventions came from maine...alot of paints would not.
    Previously boxer3main
    the death rate and fairy tales cannot kill the nature left behind.

Comment

A part of me is horrified, and another part wants to dope slap the presenter for his technique, but I can see this as an excellent way to get the results he wants. Not what I'd like, but i don't think that's germane.

Easily reversible way to experiment, so I'd call it a win.
      "First I believe if you keep the RPM's high enough, ANYTHING is possible." PeeWee

Comment

I did it, it was suggested to me by a member. I did the rims and the tail panel (not pictured). It came out great and until I can afford to powdercoat and paint....this will do for a little over 20 bucks. A whole car, well...thats a bit much but lots of people are doing parts with it and it turns out pretty darn good.

Last edited by JOES66FURY; November 21, 2012, 01:43 PM.
        If you can leave two black stripes from the exit of one corner to the braking zone of the next, you have enough horsepower. - Mark Donohue

Comment

oh if only my friend had this when he outran the cop in his Cadillac.... he repainted it that night (seriously), the next day he was driving around and a cop stopped him and "accidentally" scratched the side of his freshly painted car
          Doing it all wrong since 1966

Comment

Would make a nice cheap covering that lasts longer than rattle cans. Might play around with it and see how it works out and how long it lasts. Its not like I have a lack of projects that need something covering them.

Comment

it doesnt stand up to power washing very well but it peels off very easy IF enough coats are applied. the less applied the harder it is to peel back
              If you can leave two black stripes from the exit of one corner to the braking zone of the next, you have enough horsepower. - Mark Donohue

Comment

Does it come in 'clear'?? Might make a cheap and easy bra.........
                Ed, Mary, & 'Earl'
                HRPT LongHaulers, 08, 09, 10, 11, 12, 13, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19.

Inside every old person is a young person wondering, "what the hell happened?"

The man at the top of the mountain didn't fall there. -Vince Lombardi

Comment

Yes it does come in clear.I found clear at an Ace Hardware store.Sprayed the back of some aluminum wheels to help with brake dust buildup.Works ok so far.

Comment

Originally posted by oletrux4evr View Post
                    Does it come in 'clear'?? Might make a cheap and easy bra.........

That would beat the heck out of plastic wrap.... excellent idea!

and blue tape

some go overboard

and some... well, tape just can't fix stupid

Last edited by SuperBuickGuy; November 21, 2012, 03:43 PM.
                    Doing it all wrong since 1966

Comment

I'll get technical. Or anal. From the training standpoint.

One of the principles of adult learning is "What are we about to do?"

All he had to do was to say, .... well, he didn't do it. So I didn't know what the F he was doing while he was taping off the car, and I lasted about 5 minutes before I lost interest. And I know why. Consider the audience - me.

My ex-boss, my training mentor loved to tell a story about one time he was watching TV. He was surfing channels and came upon the start of a woodworking show. The guy said, "Today we'll be working with flat pieces and round pieces." My boss was enthralled, but what is this guy doing?

30 minutes, he ran flat pieces through a planer and round pieces through a lathe. He threw them into a pile out of the way. My boss was beating his head against the wall watching it. To shorten the story, the guy finally put all of the pieces together to make a chair. A straight-backed kitchen chair. What he didn't do, the first sentence he should have said at the start of the show was to say, "Today, we're going to make a chair."

How hard is that? That's all he had to say. One sentence.
                      Charter member of the Turd Nuggets

Comment

So what's it cost to do a car the size of let's say a trans am? It interests me because my paint is getting bad on the top surface and I can't afford a good paint job. I'm at the point that I'm thinking of a Maco paint job just to save the car till i can do it right .This way I could paint it my second favorite color (black) for a change, and save Till I can drop a couple grand on it.
                        Previously HoosierL98GTA

Comment

His sight said $299 for the standard car kit .....

Pretty interesting .... may use it on an old enclosed trailer I have, but not my cars.
                          Whiskey for my men ... and beer for their horses!

Comment

Ive got just the car.

Comment

Clear instead of a Bra......excellent idea.

Would the clear work well on headlights? Say after you buff the scratches out of them.........or before they get scratched in the first place.

I can see me trying this on some off-road type vehicles in the near future.......as stated, nothing to loose but time and a little money.

Hmmm...... which victim wants to volunteeer.....muhahhahhhahhaa..

And how cold do you think it could be applied? Probably says on the product somewhere.
                              Of all the paths you take in life - make sure a few of them are dirt.

Comment

Working...
                              X