No announcement yet.

Video: Bracket racing on water

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

i've had a lot of practice. I built that boat in 2005 and raced two bracket classes and a heads up class with it since then. Thats the great thing about boat racing; its such a small sport that some of the racing associations are more like clubs and they will let you race multiple classes at an event. I've burned 20 gallons of 118 and gone through a 55 pound mother bottle of n20 in a race weekend when we went to the finals in more than one class.

still, when i sold the boat to Jeff Conrad, I had not run the engine without nitrous at the track before. On the bottle it ran 7.40s in the quarter and I had no clue who much slower it would run without it. It ran 8.30 so we had to put some weight in the boat and pull a ton of ignition timing, and turn a rev limiter on for a few seconds at half track to slow it down to run a 9.00 pass.

Comment

I went out to Firebird a couple times to see the boats race out there, thats a different group of people, one thing i did notice that gave me second thought about the boat owners/pilots is if you look at boat names you will see roman numerals after the name signifying thats the second, third, forth boat they had leaving me to believe the others were wrecked or sank or both
      Charles W - BS Photographer at large

Comment

Originally posted by BOOOGHAR View Post
        I went out to Firebird a couple times to see the boats race out there, thats a different group of people, one thing i did notice that gave me second thought about the boat owners/pilots is if you look at boat names you will see roman numerals after the name signifying thats the second, third, forth boat they had leaving me to believe the others were wrecked or sank or both
        there's a saying that I don't exactly exactly subscribe to: It's not if you're gonna get wet but when you're gonna get wet.

Me, i figure its all preventable. Do your job prepping the boat and it shouldn't break. Do your job behind the wheel and you shouldn't crash.

Its the reason I don't drive anyone else' boat. Unless i wired it, plumbed it and built the engine, I ain't driving it because everything matters and can get you messed up. One wire pops off the coil and you are going swimming. Cars are different and not nearly as spooky when stuff goes wrong.

Comment

Originally posted by FINNEGAN View Post
          there's a saying that I don't exactly exactly subscribe to: It's not if you're gonna get wet but when you're gonna get wet.
          sprint car racing has a saying very similar, its not if youre going to flip, its a matter of time til you flip. Yea you can only prepare so much but theres still variables you cant account for, say for instance, the other driver

btw, Finn can you pm me your email addy
          Charles W - BS Photographer at large

Comment

Originally posted by FINNEGAN View Post
            I'm totally addicted to drag racing cars but strangely I'm actually more comfortable in a boat than i am in a truck or car with a cage. Not sure how to explain that other than to say i have a better sense of when shit is about to go bad on water than I do on asphalt.
            Is it the parachute that makes you feel invincible? haha.

Some people have great feel of the car and what it's doing and seem to have a sixth sense to when things are not right. Others it's on boats. My uncle had it for airplanes.
            Last edited by Scott Liggett; November 25, 2012, 10:14 PM.
            BS'er formally known as Rebeldryver

Resident Instigator

sigpic

Comment

Working...
            X