The island of misfit cars.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The island of misfit cars.

My stepmother just returned from two weeks in Cuba.

Click image for larger version

Name:	cuba 2012 036.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	55.1 KB
ID:	879398

Name:	cuba 2012 050.jpg
Size:	40.2 KB
ID:	879399

Name:	cuba 2012 031.jpg
Size:	51.3 KB
ID:	879400

Name:	cuba 2012 072.jpg
Size:	43.5 KB
ID:	879401

Name:	cuba 2012 051.jpg
Size:	38.4 KB
ID:	879402

Name:	cuba 2012 066.jpg
Size:	44.6 KB
ID:	879403

Name:	cuba 2012 087.jpg
Size:	46.2 KB
ID:	879404

Name:	cuba 2012 092.jpg
Size:	44.6 KB
ID:	879405

Name:	cuba 2012 094.jpg
Size:	45.3 KB
ID:	879406

Name:	cuba 2012 151.jpg
Size:	54.8 KB
ID:	879407

Name:	cuba 2012 132.jpg
Size:	51.4 KB
ID:	879408
    Just groovin' to my own tune.

Going to Cuba is on my bucket list.

There was a show, can't remember when, that did a segment
    on all these cars in Cuba.......and how creative they are keeping them running as parts
    are available to them.

Great photos.
    Thom

"The object is to keep your balls on the table and knock everybody else's off..."

Comment

Originally posted by Monk View Post

on all these cars in Cuba.......and how creative they are keeping them running as parts
      are available to them.

Great photos.
      Yeah, I saw that show too and I can't remember when, either. Great photos! Stepmom has to be a gearhead to take that many great shots while on the move.

I thought Americans are prohibited from traveling to Cuba?
      Charter member of the Turd Nuggets

Comment

I'm thinkin' that as trade opens up a bit between the USA and Cuba (assuming that happens) that there will be a market in importing these old rides - maybe trade a new one for these old guys. At lest I hope so - love to see them back in the 'States.

Dan

Comment

As I have read, most of these cars will be running on Russian and Polish diesel engines that had been removed from military vehicles. The bushings, seals, and such were unavailable for the american cars and the folks on the island substituted the drivetrains from the only stuff they could get parts for.... military vehicles.

But what a treasue trove of pristine body parts.... the land where rust never goes!
          Mike in Southwest Ohio

Comment

But what a treasue trove of pristine body parts.... the land where rust never goes!
            There is far more rust there than you think. I spent my honeymoon in Cuba, as a Canadian we always had good relations with Cuba so travel is not restricted. I saw way too much cool stuff as well as stuff I never knew existed

Getting stuff out of Cuba is harder than you want to guess. Even though we trade with them getting cars out is virtually impossible, many guys have tried here to no avail. If cars could get out eventually there is definately some late fifties iron I would like to get

Comment

Originally posted by starterguy View Post
              There is far more rust there than you think. I spent my honeymoon in Cuba, as a Canadian we always had good relations with Cuba so travel is not restricted. I saw way too much cool stuff as well as stuff I never knew existed

Getting stuff out of Cuba is harder than you want to guess. Even though we trade with them getting cars out is virtually impossible, many guys have tried here to no avail. If cars could get out eventually there is definately some late fifties iron I would like to get
              It's a relatively small island surrounded by salt water. The key word here is salt. You can sure tell the cars here in LA that spent their life by the beach. I hope the cars will be there and not all get shipped out if the Cubans are ever allowed to get new ones. It will lose some of it's charm.
              BS'er formally known as Rebeldryver

Resident Instigator

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Monk View Post

are available to them.

Great photos.
                Yes, Import motors in American cars, 6 and 8 lug truck/military axles sticking out of the 1/4 panels on passenger cars, etc
                Last edited by groucho; November 26, 2012, 11:57 AM.
                STUGOTS

Comment

Man, I'm going to have to look up my relatives there that we haven't been in contact the last 100+ years. My family fled the French revolution and some of them ended up in Cuba. My grandfather left Cardanas in the late 1800's to early 1900's.

Wanna buy a French miltary rifle? Only dropped once *G*
                  Last edited by Huskinhano; November 26, 2012, 08:03 PM.
                  Tom
                  Overdrive is overrated

Comment

Originally posted by Huskinhano View Post

Wanna buy a French miltary rifle? Only dropped once *G*
                    easy to tell if it's French, has a white flag on the end of it
                    Doing it all wrong since 1966

Comment

Originally posted by SuperBuickGuy View Post
                      easy to tell if it's French, has a white flag on the end of it
                      And never been fired.....

Comment

Come on, the French won some wars... It was more than 100 years ago, but they still won. Other than Paris its a nice place.

Wait, a guy with German heritage defending the French? WTH?

Comment

People forget that without LaFayette and other French support we would be speaking English today. Oh wait...... I mean ENGLISH, not American. We eternally owe them a debt - and it was their skill on the battlefield that got us here.

But in modern times the French are more interested in loving than in fighting and I can't say as I blame them. It's a LOT more fun!

Dan

Comment

Working...
                          X