Dan's Talkin' Souhern Dictionary

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Lon_H View Post
    Fayetvul, say it fast. That's the Tennessee town north of me. Fayetteville Tennessee.

Fangers. That's those things at the end of your hands.

Far. That'd be fire anywhere else.

I live down the road from Lick Skillet. It's at the corner of Charity Lane, and ButterandEgg Rd.

Grits are awesome. Especially with runny eggs. And you sop up the left over eggs with a biscuit.

naw Faitvill is nex to fot bragg

Comment

Years ago Unit and I were at the "stone masonry" place in Lancaster SC (pronounced SEE-ment Store) picking up a lot of stepping stones for the back yard at the house we had then. When had already made the purchase and had Bubba the Truck backed up loading the stones off of a wooden pallet. The guy who worked there and I were putting them on the truck and counting and Unit was standing close by watching. We got down to the bottom of a pallet and the guy said, ....well I can say it but I'll try my best to spell it, what he said.

Lanksterese is where you slur a whole sentence together and probably use as few vowels as possible. After all, the whole theory and philosophy of lLanksterese is to expend the least amount of energy possible and still get your point across.

The guy said, "Youcannavedatbokeunfeeifyawnit."

I said, "Thanks," and put a busted stepping stone on top of the rest. We were driving away and Unit (remember Unit is from Pittsburgh) asked, "What in the world did that guy say to you? You knew what he meant."

Sure. He said, "You can have that broken one for free if you want it."
      Last edited by pdub; November 26, 2012, 04:52 PM.
      Charter member of the Turd Nuggets

Comment

Tump - to knock something over. "Careful Bubba or you'll tump over that box!"
        Bale - Bell.
        Furrin - not from this country or area.
        Last edited by tedly; November 26, 2012, 05:09 PM.
        I'm probably wrong

Comment

More Lanksterese: "WIND-ers," like the wind that blows.

That's those panes of glass in your house that you can see out of.

Comment

We were down in Tn and my 5yr old nephew woke us up and said he lost his pillar. It took about 10 minutes to figure out he dropped his pillow.

Comment

Originally posted by wrenchn2 View Post
              We were down in Tn and my 5yr old nephew woke us up and said he lost his pillar. It took about 10 minutes to figure out he dropped his pillow.
              Should have asked him if it was Doric, Corinthian, or (what the heck is that other one?). THAT ought to confuse him!

Dan

Comment

I learn something new everyday.
                I never new they had different types of columns.
                I had to look that one up to release the confusion... Ionic.

Comment

Maybe a Georgia dialect.....carry = take. I'm gonna carry mamma down to the store.
                  Ed, Mary, & 'Earl'
                  HRPT LongHaulers, 08, 09, 10, 11, 12, 13, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19.

Inside every old person is a young person wondering, "what the hell happened?"

The man at the top of the mountain didn't fall there. -Vince Lombardi

Comment

Originally posted by tedly View Post
                    Yup, totally different meaning in louisiana. In the Tennessee area, every soda is a Coke. "I'm going to grab a Coke, you want one?" "Sure." "What kind?" "Gimme a Mountain Dew."
                    It was like that here in central FL, too.

My favorite Southern Dictionary story was from the Marines - a Virginian named Sgt Hagy.
                    - It's low on 'ol.
                    - On what?
                    - 'OL
                    -You mean "oil"?
                    -It's not "oy yul", it's 'ol !

-Okay... what do you call that stuff you put in pots for growing plants?
                    -It's dirt I tell ya, dirt!

I'll never forget him as long as I live. He was a good guy, as well as a good ol boy!
                    Last edited by yellomalibu; November 26, 2012, 06:54 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by oletrux4evr View Post
                      Maybe a Georgia dialect.....carry = take. I'm gonna carry mamma down to the store.
                      Great Falls SC - "Carry Granny to the store to order groceries."

Why don't you just take her there in the car instead, and BUY the groceries?
                      Last edited by pdub; November 26, 2012, 06:57 PM.

Comment

Dan lit a word bomb here. There's no end to it, and it's all so amazing and entertaining. It sure is. It depends almost on which county you live in, not even which of the states you live in (other than the state of reclusive).

Comment

One Bryan got to encounter this weekend is ni**er toes, aka chocolate covered cream drops. If we're counting phrases, he still laughs when I say it's comin' a flood, or down in the holler, or something like that.
                          Who needs sugar and spice and everything nice? I'm a Southern girl - give me cars, guns and whiskey on ice. ~Mrs. Remy-Z

Comment

Originally posted by yellomalibu View Post
                            It was like that here in central FL, too.

My favorite Southern Dictionary story was from the Marines - a Virginian named Sgt Hagy.
                            - It's low on 'ol.
                            - On what?
                            - 'OL
                            -You mean "oil"?
                            -It's not "oy yul", it's 'ol !

-Okay... what do you call that stuff you put in pots for growing plants?
                            -It's dirt I tell ya, dirt!

I'll never forget him as long as I live. He was a good guy, as well as a good ol boy!
                            Worked in a recycle/scrap yard.. Had to buy an awl to make my marks for the torch..
                            Days later boss, climbing off the loader.. Said " Shop, awl" and motioned pour...
                            I'm standing in the shop wondering why he wanted my awl!
                            Co-worker laughs and says that he wanted some oil to pour in the loader from the shop......

Comment

here in "Sweet Home Louisiana" we make groceries. we watch parades from the neutral ground( the space between two roadways that has grass), we have "cold drinks" if you want a soda, and "It's where you yat.....I'm right cheer!, we change the earl in our engines.
                              Long Haul Gang 2011,12,13,14,15,16,17,19
                              The older I get The Faster I was!

Comment

Jeet.

As in, "Jeet yet?" "No, jew?" "J'aunt toe?" "Ahhight."
                                The official Bangshift garage door guru. Just about anything can be built using garage door parts, trust me.

Comment

Working...
                                X