No announcement yet.

Dan's Talkin' Souhern Dictionary

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Many years ago a friend went down south on a service call for the equipment his company had sold for some modifications. When he was done, the person who he dealt with he has to show the operator of the equipment the changes he made. The guy responded, "bofus". My friend is the excitable NYC type that gets excitable real quick. He said get Mr Bofus. The exchange went back and forth a few times until the manager who he was dealing with said, bofus, you, me, bofus!
    Tom
    Overdrive is overrated

Comment

Kudzu - A plant spawned in the pits of hell and unleashed on an unwitting Earth.
      "What's a kudzu?" "You don't just have A kudzu, hun."
      "How do you grow kudzu?" "Break off a piece, throw it on the ground and run like hell!"
      I'm probably wrong

Comment

Originally posted by tedly View Post
        Kudzu - A plant spawned in the pits of hell and unleashed on an unwitting Earth.
        "What's a kudzu?" "You don't just have A kudzu, hun."
        "How do you grow kudzu?" "Break off a piece, throw it on the ground and run like hell!"
        HhahaahahAHaHaH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Yep. Absolutely. Tedly, that's funny right there. And 96% true, it sure is.

EDIT: The missing 4% of truth is you don't actually have to run like hell. Chances are, if you're decently mobile, you can actually walk away fast enough to keep from being swallowed by it.
        Last edited by pdub; November 27, 2012, 04:34 PM.
        Charter member of the Turd Nuggets

Comment

You have to sleep sometime Peewee. I prefer to be far away from that stuff when I do.

For those unfamiliar with kudzu, an illustration. It was imported as landscaping and ground cover I believe and went absolutely apes@#t in the southern climate. It grows up to a foot in a single day. There's whole areas of Tennessee, Georgia, and the Carolinas buried under this stuff. There's a house underneath it in one of the pics.
          Attached Files
          Last edited by tedly; November 27, 2012, 04:45 PM.
          I'm probably wrong

Comment

You have to sleep sometime Peewee. I prefer to be far away from that stuff when I do.

HhHAhahAHaHahahAH!!!!! HHAHahahahahaH!!!!!!!!!

So, somebody post a poll. How many people here actually I mean REALLY know what Tedly's talking about? I sure do.

Yes, I DO. HAHAHAHAAHHAH!!!! I never thought kudzu could ever be funny, but Tedly, you made it be so. That's great stuff right there.

Comment

For those unfamiliar with kudzu, an illustration. It was imported as landscaping and ground cover I believe and went absolutely apes@#t in the southern climate. It grows up to a foot in a single day. There's whole areas of Tennessee, Georgia, and the Carolinas buried under this stuff. There's a house underneath it in one of the pics.
              Treed me Tedly, you done good. Years ago, back when things were smaller and different that they are now, a bunch of us from the mill would sit around on picnic tables outside a little convenience store and drink beer in public after working all night on 3rd shift. The place was close to the mill, right beside the railroad tracks. The CSXT line going to Monroe, a grade crossing with no flop-dpwn bars in those days, the train speed limit on that line was 75 mph I think. It was a thrill sitting about 60 feet from a freight train going by that fast while guzzling a beer after night shift.

None of that has to do with anything, but one morning one our esteemed coworkers got to enjoying things so much, and some "other" folks showed up for him to drink with on the picnic tables (in the morning after work, remember) that he stayed right there long after we'd all left to get some sleep.

He lived out in the country close to the mill and there was no traffic and no cops back then so he was fearless. And he ran his car off the road on the way home. Only a bit shaken up, he crawled out of the ditch and staggered the rest of the way home, about a half mile.

The next day he went back and could not find the car. He couldn't exactly remember where he left the road, he just drove it off the road so there were no marks on the pavement. It took him and his buddies THREE days to find the car, whacking with machetes. Kudzu had hidden the car where it was sitting.

True story. I swear.

Comment

Sorry PDub, didn't see your post until after I edited.
                I'm probably wrong

Comment

Sorry PDub, didn't see your post until after I edited.
                  HhHAhahah!!!!!!!!! Thsi whole thread has been a whole boatpot full of fun! Wait, that's not a Yankee term either, is it?

Comment

Interesting thing about kudzu is that it's excellent animal feed but it seems to grow were animals can't get to it readily. If we could get the cows and sheep and such to the kudzu it would be gone. Also a great source for bio fuel if folks would harvest it (Todd, you listening?). Definitely a Southern thing however you look at it.

Dan

Comment

Originally posted by DanStokes View Post
                      Interesting thing about kudzu is that it's excellent animal feed but it seems to grow were animals can't get to it readily. If we could get the cows and sheep and such to the kudzu it would be gone. Also a great source for bio fuel if folks would harvest it (Todd, you listening?). Definitely a Southern thing however you look at it.

Dan
                      I believe without searching for the truth that kudzu was brought here from China or somewhere a real long time ago as a miracle cure for soil erosion. Yeah, it'll stop that alright, but....another good idea gone bad.

Tedly's description of it is hilarious and on target. It's a horror movie. Why didn't anybody in Hollywood ever make a movie about kudzu?

Because they don't have it there, I reckon. Reality is whatever is in your face at the time. And horror is whatever deeply affects the members of the huge audience.

Comment

Originally posted by Cyclone03 View Post
                        Dad called Brazil Nuts those^^^^^^toes.
                        I've never heard that one. Round here nuts are nuts but pecans are puh-cahns.
                        Who needs sugar and spice and everything nice? I'm a Southern girl - give me cars, guns and whiskey on ice. ~Mrs. Remy-Z

Comment

Originally posted by catchmeblue70 View Post
                          I've never heard that one. Round here nuts are nuts but pecans are puh-cahns.
                          Yeah, South Carolina, yeah. That's what they were called. I guess I was in high school before I ever knew they had another "actual" name, Brazil nuts.

Comment

Asked my wife who is from Iowa what ni@@&$ toes were
                            Missed no beat... Brazil nuts, everybody knows that!
                            Last edited by Deaf Bob; November 27, 2012, 08:40 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by DanStokes View Post

Dan

Yeah Dan, there are a bunch of people down south working on kudzu to fuel. It is better than corn for yield by weight, and the stuff grows so fast with just sunlight we would never run out of fuel or food cor livestock. Supposedly its very easy to make into fuel too. I see kudzu I see fuel that could be made, just need to get people to understand ethanol wont hurt your damn car, and it isnt a communist plot to make farmers rich either.

Peewee I am pretty sure its from Japan, but its definitely Asian. The first time I saw kudzu I thought of the Creep Show episode where Stephen King finds a meteorite that sprouts some grass looking stuff whenever water touches it, and it clings to everything it touches.

Definitely a problem down south, but also a solution if people ever decide to change how long their engines last for the better.

Comment

Asian Jasmine down south here, like on the coast down south Texas, you can't kill the stuff. I wish it would make fuel... or poison ivy / poison oak, since I seem to be farming that stuff.
                                Flying south, with a flock of bird dogs.

Comment

Working...
                                X