No announcement yet.

Dan's Talkin' Souhern Dictionary

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

According to my wife (who studied horticulture in college) kudzu was introduced as erosion and soil control. It's Japanese in origin.

Up north where it gets colder it's tameable. Down here not so much.
    Lon. HazelGreen Ala.

Comment

And cows are MADE to live on the stuff. Most of us know about cows chewing their kudzus (sorry - BAD pun.....).

Dan

Comment

Originally posted by Lon_H View Post
        According to my wife (who studied horticulture in college) kudzu was introduced as erosion and soil control. It's Japanese in origin.

Up north where it gets colder it's tameable. Down here not so much.
        For the folks here who haven't been terrified by it, it sends out shooters. It grows a few feet and plants another root base. A whole 'nuther hub. And so on and so on. At an alarming rate.

Does this rank as a great thread hijack, or at least a derail? Dan's "word" thread turned into a nightmare about kudzu. I'll sleep tonight, but I'll have dreams about the house covered in kudzu and we cant get out in the morning....
        Charter member of the Turd Nuggets

Comment

Buy a sheep and stake him/her outside. They LOVE the stuff.

Dan

Comment

Originally posted by DanStokes View Post
            Buy a sheep and stake him/her outside. They LOVE the stuff.

Dan
            I thought us Southerners only wanted sheep in the bedroom, female ones.
            Last edited by pdub; November 28, 2012, 05:59 PM.

Comment

She'll serve double duty!

Dan

Comment

She'll serve double duty!

Dan
                No I don't think Unit would find much use for her....

Comment

THAT would be triple duty. But Unit would be happy that you could exit the house in the AM.

Dan

Comment

THAT would be triple duty. But Unit would be happy that you could exit the house in the AM.

Dan
                    Alrighty then.

Comment

Around here, it's blackberries, Himalayian (sp?) but you get the idea, it's an import.. Takes over everything... Grows over cars and stuff.. Get in frame rails, between fender panels, between the sheets of tin on roofs and siding, pulling them apart to LEAK!
                      They have real good berries.. Makes real good jam, pies, wine, juice, COBBLER... List goes on...they leapfrogshoots land, take toot and keep going PLUS the seeds from the fruit will grow too!
                      Spraying for 3-4 straight years works temporarily... Come back if not kept on top of..

Comment

Palmetto bugs - Cockroaches! BIG motherf@#$ers! That FLY!!! Think of a roach the size of a full size Bic lighter divebombing you in a dark room and you get the general idea. A roach by any other name is still a damn cockroach!

Brown Recluse - Another escapee from the bowels of hell that most northerners seem to be blissfully unaware of. These nasty little spiders usually get no bigger than the size of a dime, but I've seen them up to quarter size. They're usually not lethal, but their venom can actually dissolve flesh and muscle. Adding to the fun, it stays in your bloodstream and can cause sores for years afterwards. I won't put any up here, but if you've got a strong stomach Google "brown recluse bite" and look at the pictures. Don't be eating anything if you do though.
                        Did I mention their favorite places to hang out is in dark, usually not disturbed areas of houses. Like under your bed?
                        Last edited by tedly; November 29, 2012, 07:46 AM.
                        I'm probably wrong

Comment

Let's get back to talkin' Southern:

Around here they put the acCENT on the wrong syLLAble. Like INsurance (instead of the Yankee inSURance). Or JOOly instead of juLY. This happens a LOT locally though I don't remember hearing that in OK when I lived there.

Dan

Comment

Chirruns - Smallish people of the young variety
                            I'm probably wrong

Comment

Around here those small persons sounds more like "chillin's". Same idea.

Thought of another one:

Yankees - those people who live up Noth. They have no culture.
                              Damn Yankees - see above but they came down here and try to borrow our culture. Then they move here and bitch about our culture. At least they leave money behind them.

I remind my Southern neighbors there IS another kind -
                              Dumb Yankees - they come down, soak up our Southern culture, and DON'T move down here.

Dan

Comment

I've heard that Yankees go South on vacation in the winter and spend money and go back home.

Damn Yankees come down here and buy a house and live in it.

That's just what I heard. Like a saying.

Comment

Working...
                                X