No announcement yet.

The Next Dog?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Do y'all see how short my attention span is? I threadjacked my own thread. Jeez.
    Charter member of the Turd Nuggets

Comment

Originally posted by peewee View Post
      Let's meet up one of these days. That's what BangShifters do.

Lunch at a burger joint somewhere in between seems to work well. That approach has a great history. But not this weekend. I've got some brakes to go get. I hope.

pdub
      Sounds like a plan! I'll be sure to let you know when I have a chance to meet up.
      "Life is tough. Life is tougher if you're stupid" - John Wayne

Comment

Originally posted by Slick68 View Post
        Sounds like a plan! I'll be sure to let you know when I have a chance to meet up.
        My email addy is on my website, on my footer here. Yeah, we'll do it. Slick - WELCOME to the madness!

Back to next dog.

Comment

I have three goldens right now. wonderful, loving, loyal dogs...

this is me and Chief, he is...according to him...a lap dog.

This is little Harley, Chiefs son. He is a sweetheart but kind of a big wussy.

I dont have any pics of the other one, she is not my favorite dog. She is too submissive for me to truly enjoy, but she is a sweetheart.
          Last edited by JOES66FURY; November 30, 2012, 07:33 PM.
          If you can leave two black stripes from the exit of one corner to the braking zone of the next, you have enough horsepower. - Mark Donohue

Comment

Oh yeah that's what's it all bout right there. That's it.

Thanks Joe. Yeah, that's it. That's the real deal.

Comment

First of all, remember the Wizard and the Tin Woodsman. The Wiz: "But remember my friend that hearts will never be practical until they can be made unbreakable." "Yes, said the woodsman (wisely), but I want one anyway". Later when Dorothy was leaving the woodsman was pretty broken up and said "Now I know I have a heart because it's breaking". Dogs give us love then help show us that we DO have a heart when they have to leave. I'll do it again.

As far as possible dogs. I like a beta dog as I WILL be the alpha. A couple of possibilities - a MINIATURE poodle (check temperment carefully as some are yippy) or a Bishon Freise, who are generally lovely little guys. Mini poodles are the mid-sized ones, NOT the little bitty ones. The breeders won't admit it but the tiny ones are inbred like crazy and they get pretty nutty for the most part. Neither poodles nor Bischons shed and both are as hyper-allergenic as a dog can get.

I've had 3 standard poodles and never paid for one. There are rescues for almost all breeds. Just don't fall in love with the dog's looks or the sad story and look for someone who fits in your life. It's kinder to you and to the dog.

Dan
              Last edited by DanStokes; November 30, 2012, 08:52 PM.

Comment

Joe, you made my have to go hug my yellow Lab... she's 13
                she's the one on the ropes under our terrorist Bloodhound

of course, we also have backup dog, Buddy

he's the one that supervises in the shop..... pretty much a dog's dog - a Rhodesian Ridgeback

this was just after we got him, as with all dogs in our house, he's rounded out a bit more
                Doing it all wrong since 1966

Comment

PeeWee, go find a rescue dog or one at the pound! Mixed breeds have fewer issues to deal with IMO.

CDMBill on here has 2 of the best Rottweilers ever, and seriously the coolest chihuahua (sp?) ever, who just thinks he's a rottweiler.

It's too bad they don't make rotts in smaller sizes.
                  Last edited by dieselgeek; December 1, 2012, 12:37 PM.
                  www.realtuners.com - catch the RealTuners Radio Podcast on Youtube, Facebook, iTunes, and anywhere else podcasts are distributed!

Comment

Originally posted by dieselgeek View Post
                    PeeWeek, go find a rescue dog or one at the pound! Mixed breeds have fewer issues to deal with IMO.

CDMBill on here has 2 of the best Rottweilers ever, and seriously the coolest chihuahua (sp?) ever, who just thinks he's a rottweiler.

It's too bad they don't make rotts in smaller sizes.
                    Totally agreed on mutts. And they live longer. It'll be Unit's call, the what and the when. But the thing with mutts, Spankie just got bigger than what she envisioned. The best dog ever, but just a bigger little feller when he got done growing.

Comment

Good point on the mutts. The only advantage to a specific breed is that they TEND to have certain characteristics - calm disposition, intelligence, etc. But each dog is an individual. King is a sweetie but not the sharpest knife in the drawer although poodles are known for having high intelligence. He is, however, pegged on the hug-ometer.

Dan

Comment

I spent thanksgiving with a golden retriever / lab looking mix , about 80 pounds of lap dog. She was ferocious alright. Big pussy. The little dog was the one you had to watch out for.

I have grown to like rat terriers and Jack Russel terriers, but they are a little high strung. I'm all for going to death row at the pound... when I get out of the city, that is where I'm going. The shetland pony sized volunteer mutt at location X I'm told is a Great Pyrenees. I thought it was a Newfoundland but I'm told they are all black. His shoulders are about where my belly is.

You don't want to pay for that one's puppy chow. He'll eat 12 cups of food in 2 minutes.
                        Last edited by Beagle; December 1, 2012, 12:13 PM.
                        Flying south, with a flock of bird dogs.

Comment

In all, it's a hard thing to lose a pet, of course. But I feel "pet" is too short of a word. It's a family member, done properly. Nothing pisses me off more than seeing a dog tied to a tree as a burglar alarm, thrown some food scraps to keep it alive. That's just not right.

Unit and I both are feeling the pain of separation a week later, still grieving I reckon. And I'll bet we do something about it eventually. We've got a whole lot of love in our house but there's one thing missing to me, that extra patter of four feet on the floor. And everything that goes with that.

Comment

The best dog? Some one else's!
                            Tom
                            Overdrive is overrated

Comment

My little girl (she's 22) had one of these for a while, turns out wolves will eat them. Pleasant little dog, the smart ones are always a little high strung.

Dachshund beagle mix, however you call that. I called it pain in the ass until she got to about a year old. Pretty lovable little critter after that. Dachshund (sp) are kind of "one owner" dogs, but the one she had was multi-owner capable. She was pretty much mine after a weekend. Liked my fat belly.

pdub, I get the family member. They are.. dang you for making me want one. I love dogs... rescue mutts are the best. My first ex had 3 at any given time, all inches from the gallows. The rougher they looked, the worse they had been treated, the more I seem to like them. Takes a while for the beat down ones to come out of the shell again, but it's worth it. The problem I have is wanting to know who made them skiddish. I want to make those people skiddish...
                              Last edited by Beagle; December 1, 2012, 03:02 PM.
                              Flying south, with a flock of bird dogs.

Comment

It's all a matter of preference Tom. It does seem there are quite a few dog folks here.

I woulda never been a cat person and I'm still really not, but married a cat person (the second wife). And I won a cat and a 1990 GEO Prizm in that divorce. So there's Frecklee the Cat. I have to say, he was a mighty good cat. He was a great companion when I was single and alone and wondering what I'd do next before I met up with Unit.

And years after that, Spankie mourned Freck's passing maybe even more than we did. It was awful. He chewed himslef to pieces and his hair never grew back.

Comment

Working...
                                X