Finally - the Shop Heater Thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Finally - the Shop Heater Thread

Been meaning to post this for awhile. I've had the monster Reznor hanging heater for several years but somehow never got off my fanny to get it installed. It's a BIG one - 165K input BTU.

It turns out that New Hanover County is pretty easy-going on issuing homeowner's permits so I got them (electrical and mechanical which includes gas piping and the exhaust) and now I'm off and running.

There's no natural gas here in the neighborhood so I'll plumb the gas thru the wall and stub it out so the gas guys can bring the bottle.

So it's now well hung as you can see. I used a 5/8" piece of all-thread and made an angled bracket to carry the weight on the truss. The smaller pieces are to stabilize the whole deal.

I WISH I knew how to caption the pics! As it is I'll try to post 'em now and you'll have to try to fit them to the appropriate pic.

Anyhow - some of the hanging system, one of the electrical (you can see the box above the heater and the Greenfield coming down - there's 3/4 conduit all the way into the box). Then there's some of the gas piping installation. Mostly I'm showing off that even at my age I still have a Ridgid tool - several, actually. Left over from my plumbing days. I don't do enough to permanently mount the pipe vise but the hoist arm works pretty well. I don't know how you would do this job without the tools (rent 'em I guess).

Anyhow - that's the project for now. Tomorrow I'll finish up the plumbing and at least start piping the air compressor across the shop so I don't have to snake a line all over the place to do anything.

Dan
    Attached Files

Shop Heater??...... I don't think we need those around in my parts.... Today was December 1st, it was 75 degrees here and the low tonight will be 51 degrees...... Shorts and T-shirt weather if you ask me.......

Comment

Nothing like heat in the cold of winter.
      Nice shop.
      Thom

"The object is to keep your balls on the table and knock everybody else's off..."

Comment

Weenies!! Man up and freeze your manhood right off.
        BS'er formally known as Rebeldryver

Resident Instigator

sigpic

Comment

I've got a similar unit Dan. I've just got to get off my duff and install it.

I R Bob
          You can't drink all day unless you start in the morning!
          2007 LH, 2008 LH, 2009 LH, 2010 LH, 2011 LH, 2012 DNF/BLOW'D UP, 2013 LH, 2014 LH

Comment

I would like one or two of those big oil burning units. A drilling company in Elko said they'd give me as much used oil as I wanted from the maintenance of their rigs.
            Escaped on a technicality.

Comment

Originally posted by TheSilverBuick View Post
              I would like one or two of those big oil burning units. A drilling company in Elko said they'd give me as much used oil as I wanted from the maintenance of their rigs.

Buddy of mine has a used oil heater.....puts out great heat.
              Thom

"The object is to keep your balls on the table and knock everybody else's off..."

Comment

I'm not being sarcastic, just want to understand. If heat rises, why is the heater installed up high?
                I'm still learning

Comment

Bob, installed high out of the way.. And they are force aired down to where you work.. Air either draws thru the unit or takes air from the bottom.. Bob and Dan can tell u this..

Our sponsor has a waste oil heater in her wrecking yard office/shop.. WARM! but it is loud..
                  She loves heating with that.. Bought it during times of plenty, now never buys oil.. Everybody for miles around drops off their oil
                  I guess that'd be the way to go, just have to rob the recycle depot. Shhh
                  Last edited by Deaf Bob; December 1, 2012, 10:09 PM.

Comment

Don't forget the disconnect switch! I still have all of my pipe cutting and threading equipment as well as a pipe vise.

I have the gas for you! They just lit this off last night, the well is about 2 miles away. Lights up my bedroom at night. We have 3 of them burning off around us. One is so loud, it sounds like a jet engine.

Tom
                    Overdrive is overrated

Comment

I have a friend in Tenn. who just added a new gas heater system to his shop which was also just completed.

The only problem he ran into was in the duck work he purchased from Home Boy Depot.

The pipe was made in china and leaked really bad.

He dismantled all the duck work and purchased it from a different supplier and the problem was solved.

Propane or any other form of gas is an excellent way of heating providing there are no leaks anywhere in the fuel line.

I would double check every single fitting because the end result can be really bad!!!.

Jimbo

Comment

This is the monster that I use for heating:

...but I really like your shop that NEEDS a large heater.

I spend more time in my buddy's shop/ garage. When it gets "cold" he fires up one similar to this: (yes, I put cold in parenthesis because you guys would laugh at what we call cold in FL).

Comment

Since the heart attack I really CAN'T do cold and I was losing way too much of my winter work time. Winters here aren't too bad - the lowest is about 20 over night and it's not unusual to have daytime temps in the 60s and 70s. But by the time the shop heats up I've lost most of the day even on the 70 degree days and really I need mid-70s to be comfortable. That sucker is so big that it'll bring the shop up to temp in 15 minutes or so (best guess from the heat & air guy).

Someone asked about why the furnace is hanging. Ideally it might be at floor level but that takes up floor space and the outlet vents angle down so the airflow is designed for overhead mounting. You'll find this style heater in many auto repair shops, warehouses, etc. and they're kind of the common way to do this. I installed a ceiling fan last summer so that'll help push the heated air down, too.

I'm really eager to get the installation finished up and crank up the thermostat. I've been heating with one of those radiant "daisy" heaters that sits on a propane tank. Works OK but really doesn't get in the nooks and crannies.

Dan
                          Last edited by DanStokes; December 2, 2012, 06:39 AM.

Comment

That's badass Dan. It's forced air - my house manages to stay warm with forced air from ceiling high HVAC vents. If I were doing a old timey heater, it would be on the floor... but with a fan, you can put it anywhere. If you find that you can't get it back down to the floor (Doubtful) you can pick up a multi-speed squirrel cage fan and mount it up in the top too.

I've been wanting to get the older house heater out of dad's garage (not hooked up) and put it in my garage. The natural gas fired water heater is in the garage so it would be easy to T off of it. 80k heater should handle a two car insulated garage. lol.

The jet fan ones are great for big areas, but the small one I have is 100k btu and it's too much for my garage, also LOUD.
                            Last edited by Beagle; December 2, 2012, 06:38 AM.
                            Flying south, with a flock of bird dogs.

Comment

Just watch using spray paint, solvents, etc! My old shop in MI had the furnace in a work room off the back of the shop and ducted into the shop space - that way the combustion air didn't come out of the space I was painting in. That just wasn't going to work out in this shop. Oh, well. I may build a booth with plastic sheeting if I find myself doing much paint work.

I expect that this heater will be a bit on the loud side but it seemed to be the best compromise. It's really WAY oversized but it's what I found on CL when I was looking. The shop isn't sealed up all that well (need to get busy with some spray foam) so I'm not worried about sucking all the O2 out of the building.

Dan

Comment

Working...
                              X