Is Most of the US Carcentric?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Is Most of the US Carcentric?

My daughter-in-law brought this up a while back and I've been chewing on it ever since. She says that I'm unusually carcentric and that most of the US can take or leave them.

At first I sort of dismissed her point of view but then I realized that it's a pretty tricky question. Most everyone I know is to some extent a car person so my polling population is skewed from the start (I know enough about statistics to know you can pick an atypical population and get skewed results).

I'm thinking that most US men would at least SAY they were car guys though few would be as involved as the folks on here. But to have an interest, maybe read Hot Rod (or at least know it exists) - some attachment to car culture. I have no clue about the ladies.

I'd make this a poll but I can't get the Forum to do it.

Dan

If all the non-car-centrics who could take or leave them could be pried out of their Kias and BMWs that they think they look so good in for the evening commute, it would sure leave the highways clearer for us-the-minority...

Comment

I think most Americans like to think they are car-centric, even though they don't really know squat about cars.
      My fabulous web page

"If it don't go, chrome it!" --Stroker McGurk

Comment

Originally posted by squirrel View Post
        I think most Americans like to think they are car-centric, even though they don't really know squat about cars.
        I agree.
        I only became carcentric when I realized it crushed an entire continent...blinding the dumb to dumber.

the more it is market based rather than evolving on stength..the skinnier we all get...and I was beat up by old planes. biggest budget in the world, working out of a mobile hut..ridiculous history I have. A real turning point was the quck lube. took it on like youth to a summer job.. a whole year went by when I realized how serious cars are to the world. Nobody is happy, and then I got poisoned. Even the chemistry is some fake market launch pretending a real standard. 20 years ago. it is worse today.

it is funny when someone thinks i am working on something "small"
        Last edited by Barry Donovan; December 2, 2012, 10:42 AM.
        Previously boxer3main
        the death rate and fairy tales cannot kill the nature left behind.

Comment

I would have said (and DID say) I'm not a car guy at all. I'm sure I wasn't until I got around you guys in person and saw all that going on. Okay, that's just too much fun, I want in.

And it wasn't planned at all. The dude just had to set Red out for sale under a tree at the end of the out street. I had to look at him going by twice a day before I finally had to look at him closer. PLUS I've got the best wife in the world who let me get him. No, we sure didn't "need" that car.

If red was staged for sale on the other side of town, I'd have probably run out of anything to say here on BS. (NoTTTTT - Y'all can laugh at that as much as you like, and I hope you do.)

But carcentric? I don't think quite so in my case. Unless rubbing on one a whole more than it needs to be rubbed actually qualifies. Maybe I'm one-car-carcentric. I love the one I have. And I've sure had a helluva lotta fun with it already. And I've sure enjoyed meeting y'all in person, those of you that I have met. I'd love to meet the rest of y'all. All of ya.
          Charter member of the Turd Nuggets

Comment

Among the younger set, they think of cars more like appliances - simple transportation.
            For carguys - they are outward projections and expressions of our mechanical selves.
            Act your age, not your shoe size. - Prince

Comment

Back in the day I was sort of forced into it.........having to work on my own junk
              to keep it going. Then enjoying it.
              The bug as stayed with me since.

Appliances.......... I like that
              Thom

"The object is to keep your balls on the table and knock everybody else's off..."

Comment

The magazine guys will know better but I recall reading somewhere that only 10% of men in the US subscribe to a car magazine of some kind and less than half of those get a so-called "dirty hands books" like Hot Rod or Car Craft.

Which is why most cars are transportation appliances focused on gas mileage and isolation from the driving experience.
                Drag Week 2006 & 2012 - Winner Street Race Big Block Naturally Aspirated - R/U 2007 Broke DW '05 and Drag Weekend '15 Coincidence?

Comment

I have no idea what you are talking about Dan
                  Escaped on a technicality.

Comment

Originally posted by TheSilverBuick View Post
                    I have no idea what you are talking about Dan
                    I thought I did, but I got it all wrong, as usual. Now I know, but it's too late.
                    Charter member of the Turd Nuggets

Comment

Consider the source, and move on.... Most Girls don't get it... no explanation will suffice...

Comment

What Keith said as well... With my time in the military allowing me to see a greater cross section of the US population, it worked out to a very small percentage of car people that didnt think of them as appliances. A scant few of us actually knew how to work on our junk, while the rest of the vast minority of 'car guys' just liked cool cars. Of my squadron of about 350 people, there were 7 or 8 car guys and that includes the two ricer kids, and the turbo neon guy that didnt really understand much about it. I was the only one in the entire unit that did all the work, the rest of them took it to the shop or had the club handle it for them.

You arent unusual for us, but we are VERY unusual to most people. Look at how many members there are, and yet how few post in the tech or general areas. Not everyone is a hardcore gearhead, I found that out a few decades back when I was the only one stuffing a bigger cam in and adding headers before attempting engine swaps.

I do find it unusual that your kid doesnt quite get it, both of my daughters do.

Comment

I'm not carcentric, I just like cars.. They don't usually talk back, unless you clall skinning my knuckles, talking back or getting too deep in the powerband it lets me know it likes or not likes that..
                          Like to think the car aims to please me after a good massage...
                          Last edited by Deaf Bob; December 2, 2012, 07:16 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Thumpin455 View Post

I do find it unusual that your kid doesnt quite get it, both of my daughters do.
                            That was the Daughter-in-Law! MY girls get it although they don't share Dad's interest. Neither of them are likely to get screwed on a car repair as they know enough to know if they're getting flim-flammed.

Dan

Comment

I consider my self "carcentric" to the point of fault. The stuff I can remember having to do with cars would blow most folks that think they are "carcentric", out of the water I really dont know why i can remeber this stuff so clearly. I just dont get folks who aren't carcentric, I dont really have a lot of intrest in stuff where there isnt some kind of car or automobilia/tools or whatever, involved. It actually makes me a little nutty sometimes and drives my wife crazy. My ideal eutopia would be just hangin around all day tinkering on cars, in a warmer climate.
                              Last edited by antmnte; December 2, 2012, 02:44 PM.

Comment

Working...
                              X