LS1 let here some ideas

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• LS1 let here some ideas

Just got an LS1 delevered from PACE Performance. Paid $3000.00 for the long block, new not remanufactured and on sale, discontinued now. (Used ones were @$2500). Going into an early Camaro along with a 6 speed. I plan on going with a Demon Carb and Edlebrock intake. I will go with a distributer also. (there's a kit to put a dist on it, or should I go ECM). No A/C. Any ideas on engine mounts, headers or anything else that can be put on this motor. BDS has a blower, but not going that route, it's 100% street car, here to Las Vegas and back car, interested in good power and mileage that I keep hearing about these motors.

From This
    To This

Re: LS1 let here some ideas

Pace is the source for Chevrolet Performance. Custom GM, Chevy and LS Performance crate engines. LS conversion technical department.

BTW Did I mention free delivery.

Why LS1, the other LS engines were more money.

Comment

You should be able to skip the HEI and use the MSD set up. MSD keeps the coil on plug set up. I have no expereince with it. but maybe someone who does could chime in...

Comment

Definitley go with the MSD 6LS box - it's awesome, carb OR efi. Programmable curves, plugs in and runs in 5 minutes' worth of work - Parish runs it on the fairmont, we ran one on our GTO - they are great little boxes. Get the truck coilpacks if you can, they're hotter and last forever. May not be the look you're going for (dist. with wires), but is far more accurate timing, more reliable, etc.

As for the carburetion. well, you know what I am going to favor, but EFI is not for everyone. If you aren't going too crazy with the cam, a stock ECM reprogrammed with HP Tuners by a local dyno shop can really run great. Or, for the more "DIY" route you can plug in an eMS-Pro or Megasquirt and tune it yourself, but there's a bit more learning curve involved (plenty of us on here can help you with that though). There are other systems out there like BigStuff3 but then you're talking big dollars on the LS1 for not much gain over the MS/MSD combo which is proven and reliable (drag week class winner!).

Carbs and their simplicity have a LOT of merit, no doubt, especially if you have to worry about all the other parts of building the car - trans, installation, fuel system, etc. But, a BIG part of the LS1's phenomenal economy is due to it's engine management. Going with a wet intake and a carb, will kill some of that - also, if you are looking for an engine that'll keep itself tuned for that drive from L.A. to L.V. then you are again leaning towards either stock ECM (re tuned) or standalone EFI system.

They are kickass engines though.

Keep us posted, and if I can help with any other management questions, don't be afraid to ask!

-scott
        www.realtuners.com - catch the RealTuners Radio Podcast on Youtube, Facebook, iTunes, and anywhere else podcasts are distributed!

Comment

Carb decision is based on cost. Since this is a long block and going into an early Camaro, less to buy. I know nothing about this engine. What do I need to run the MSD, crank trigger, mag pick up?, and were is there a good place to get coils?

Comment

Now for @$800 I may be able to an EFI complete with manifold and computer off an LS2. Been on my mind, but will it fit. I noticed LS1 LS6 and new LS3 are all in one category and LS2 in a different one?????

Comment

The crank trigger and mag pickup should already be on the engine - if not, you'll use stock parts for them.

Comment

Originally posted by Matt Cramer
                The crank trigger and mag pickup should already be on the engine - if not, you'll use stock parts for them.
                Cool, I have not unwrapped it yet. Taking it over to friend who is going to give me hand with it.

Comment

I would love to see a carbureted LS1 under the hood! I think if you could hide the coil packs and just make it look like an old school motor...that would be hot! I think the distributor conversion is a good idea...just makes it look like a F**D (FORD!) and kills the simplicity.

Comment

I'm going to do a cam change. Heard the heads have to come off to make it easier, since the lifters are under the heads????

Comment

That's a Metric "Hemi", the Gen III/IV engines just need the pushrods pulled, intake doesn't even have to come off.
                      Central TEXAS Sleeper
                      USAF Physicist

ROA# 9790

Comment

Originally posted by CTX-SLPR
                        That's a Metric "Hemi", the Gen III/IV engines just need the pushrods pulled, intake doesn't even have to come off.
                        Huuummm???? Well I'l find out soon and post it. Thanx

Comment

Originally posted by ethelkilledfred
                          LS1 cam swap takes 20 minutes if you don't need to pull a radiator, in-car. The intake stays on.
                          www.realtuners.com - catch the RealTuners Radio Podcast on Youtube, Facebook, iTunes, and anywhere else podcasts are distributed!

Comment

Originally posted by dieselgeek
                            Originally posted by ethelkilledfred
                            LS1 cam swap takes 20 minutes if you don't need to pull a radiator, in-car. The intake stays on.
                            Cool

Actually looking forward to it.

Comment

reason to run the distibutor - if you run a solid cam , the valve covers come off quicker to run the valves
                              timing computer works the same
                              LS1 is the way to go these days

street and performance in mena ark has all the mounts - I used to deal with mark there

Comment

Working...
                              X