No announcement yet.

Are you a prepper?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

maine has an article about the mayan stuff..the comments are very maine.
    I stood on a Mayan Pyramid two summers ago. Impressive to look at but on close inspection wasn't really much more than a piling of rocks up along one side of hill. Rocket scientist they were not. Any predictions they may have made are meaningless if they weren't clever enough to save themselves.
    it seems places with food falling off trees has a weakest military...70F all year.
    even movies hit a few facts sometimes, like showing a snow barren place as the last safekeep. no one lives there because its not easy.

another one that almost makes me angry..people that build things for long term have time built in. Its a natural thing to not want a fail. The Mayans were some weak people no doubt...a woman based society. like spanish almost.

where men are in charge, this babble is laughed at.
    Last edited by Barry Donovan; December 4, 2012, 03:02 PM.
    Previously boxer3main
    the death rate and fairy tales cannot kill the nature left behind.

Comment

Guess I better return some gifts and buy boxes of ammo instead..

Comment

Geologists studying the magnetic profiles of sedimentary layers and Carbon -14 percentages have recently discovered an anomaly at several sites across the globe... long story short it seems to indicate a CME from the sun occurring in 775 to 800 AD. where the power output was at least 30 times the output of the 1859 Carrington event!! -

The Carrington event was a solar event (flare/CME) which actually induced current in the then nascent telegraph lines so intense as to actually set the offices alight. both here and in the UK.

It is simply a matter of time before old Sol pops off another big one. and our current electrical grid is in NO way capable of dealing with it. Transformers will melt and fail across the globe and without power we will be unable to produce replacements. this means months and maybe years without electricity on a wide scale basis. The lack of refrigeration will kill millions in the first week (diabetics as an example) a billion or more will die within a month due to water pumps failing. the diseases caused by the loss of potable water and decaying animal life will decimate populations even further, possibly leading to a loss of half the world's population in 90 days.

The good news is that Old Sol is currently entering what scientists believe will be an extended period (maybe 100 yrs or more) where the solar activity is much lower than it has been in the past 100 yrs. This would increase the probability that the sun would not blow any HUGE amounts of plasma at us............. maybe. But then again.... our magnetic field here on Earth, is undergoing some really strange stuff lately. mostly it is losing its strength in the southern hemisphere (google south atlantic anomaly) and at other places across the globe.... long story short.... the magnetic field of earth protects us from old Sol and if it is in the process of flipping or worse, decaying to begin flipping... it could leave us defenseless against normal CME/flares that currently do no harm...... The magnetic north pole is moving - fast - into siberia right now.....

ya never know.............................................. ........................................ ?
        Last edited by oldsman496; December 4, 2012, 06:36 PM.
        Mike in Southwest Ohio

Comment

Like Scott's story way above, I worked with a guy who prepped for Y2K and said we were all pretty not smart for not doing it while he was doing it. He had lots of stuff left over, for sure. Gasoline in barrels, in particular. Well, that and ammunition for all of his guns.

I watched the Preppers show on Discovery one time, about 1/3 of an episode at least....

None of it matters when the Mayan calendar runs out this month anyhow.
          Last edited by pdub; December 4, 2012, 06:46 PM.
          Charter member of the Turd Nuggets

Comment

liquid hot magma... grin.

NASA.gov brings you the latest news, images and videos from America's space agency, pioneering the future in space exploration, scientific discovery and aeronautics research.
            Flying south, with a flock of bird dogs.

Comment

" im a prepper , he's a prepper, wouldnt you like to be a prepper too, be a prepper, drink dr prepper "
              Charles

Comment

"The magnetic north pole has been creeping northward – by more than 600 miles (1,100 km) – since the early 19th century, when explorers first located it precisely. It is moving faster now, actually, as scientists estimate the pole is migrating northward about 40 miles per year, as opposed to about 10 miles per year in the early 20th century."

From that article..... by NASA.

THE SKY IS FALLING!! THE SKY IS FALLING!! THE SKY IS FALLING!!!!!

Mike in Southwest Ohio

Comment

I guess we should do all of our really seriously posting RIGHT NOW, before the calendar runs out.

After all, with the Y2K thing, we had some REAL technological belief that all that all the computers were going to crash and end the world as we knew it. That threat was REAL!!!!!

But it didn't materialize.

But the calendar thing, since it's not based on technology, has to be taken even MORE seriously! The whole world will go POOF, and not for a reason we're able to comprehend, since the calendar runs out.

I'm SERIOUS. We all need to get it said.

So I'll say I love you all, and it's been a blast and lots of laughs and smiles and there's no reason to hoard beer because we'll all be gone. This one's different from Y2K. It won't just be a system shutdown, it'll be the big POOF. Gone, outta here.

I love y'all, I really do.....

Charter member of the Turd Nuggets

Comment

Originally posted by oldsman496 View Post
                    "The magnetic north pole has been creeping northward – by more than 600 miles (1,100 km) – since the early 19th century, when explorers first located it precisely. It is moving faster now, actually, as scientists estimate the pole is migrating northward about 40 miles per year, as opposed to about 10 miles per year in the early 20th century."

From that article..... by NASA.

THE SKY IS FALLING!! THE SKY IS FALLING!! THE SKY IS FALLING!!!!!

Am I the only one here with an adjustable compass
                    Escaped on a technicality.

Comment

Thom

"The object is to keep your balls on the table and knock everybody else's off..."

Comment

Mom has a plaque by her back door..
                        "Some days you step in it, some days you don't"
                        With a picture of a loaded rubber boot... She has cows...

Comment

Originally posted by peewee View Post
                          After all, with the Y2K thing, we had some REAL technological belief that all that all the computers were going to crash and end the world as we knew it. That threat was REAL!!!!!
                          We had a lot of people who didn't really understand computers, telling us the sky was falling. Those of us who understand how it works, were not surprised by what (didn't) happen.
                          My fabulous web page

"If it don't go, chrome it!" --Stroker McGurk

Comment

Originally posted by Monk View Post
                            agreed, whatever will be will be.
                            If you can leave two black stripes from the exit of one corner to the braking zone of the next, you have enough horsepower. - Mark Donohue

Comment

Originally posted by JOES66FURY View Post
                              agreed, whatever will be will be.
                              Let it be, there will be an answer... Letter B!

Comment

I have a hard time planning dinner for the day let alone some disaster.
                                Originally posted by TC
                                also boost will make the cam act smaller

Comment

Working...
                                X