Pdub, when you put your roll bar in; don't do this

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Pdub, when you put your roll bar in; don't do this

note the roll bar legs sticking out of the bottom of the car?
    Doing it all wrong since 1966

other pictures

Doing it all wrong since 1966

Comment

I suppose this points out how important it is to install a 'package' of safety items...such as subframe connectors that are welded through and to the floor.... I also don't see any downtubes in the trunk... was this a simple 2 point bar/hoop? a 4 point? more details are needed....How's the driver? Who did the install? was it a reputable race fabrication shop? whatever the details...that car needed better foundation plates. period.
      Mike in Southwest Ohio

Comment

the seam under trim for rockers, the one up top..that would stop that entirely..find some geometry before going crazy with plates.

..and that photo is terrifying. I spotted that on several designs of roll bar.
        that version that welds to floor behind seats to nothing but floor pan..insane.

(attempted making a sube wagon of all things, rally car strength.. no cage)
        Previously boxer3main
        the death rate and fairy tales cannot kill the nature left behind.

Comment

It's surprising that the roof of the car collapsed like it did, I would have thought they would have made that part of the car more structurally sound than that.......

Comment

yikes that sucks, hope they're ok!

Man what a great illustration of why you want as large a baseplate under the bars as you can get on a unibody floor/ rocker. Wow!
            Last edited by Dignlif; December 4, 2012, 11:42 AM.
            Rich

Drag Week Survivor 2009, 2011, 2012, 2013 - 2nd Place - Pro Street N/A, 2017

Comment

From the website:

The amazing part about the whole ordeal is the driver and passenger were not injured in the wreck. The Mustang did have a bolt-in roll-cage but it was driven through the floor board when it landed upside down. Let this be a lesson to all who have a bolt-in roll cage, go get it welded in properly.
              Thom

"The object is to keep your balls on the table and knock everybody else's off..."

Comment

Originally posted by TC View Post
                It's surprising that the roof of the car collapsed like it did, I would have thought they would have made that part of the car more structurally sound than that.......
                Given the second picture, the car was hauling and probably slammed down rather violently on the roof by the looks of the dirt the nose is dragging through.
                Escaped on a technicality.

Comment

ECTA and SCTA both require sizable floor plates (6"x5"x1/4" IIRC). Actually, they can be bolted in (plate on each side and x# of bolts) as long as the bar is welded to the plates. You also need some sort of diagonal bracing as a 2-point bar is near useless.

Dan

Comment

Welding to a sheet metal floor pan is no better than using bolts. The point of failure is the sheet metal, not the bolts!
                    Life is short. Be a do'er and not a shoulda done'er.
                    1969 Galaxie 500 https://bangshift.com/forum/forum/ba...ild-it-s-alive
                    1998 Mustang GT https://bangshift.com/forum/forum/ba...60-and-a-turbo
                    1983 Mustang GT 545/552/302/Turbo302/552 http://www.bangshift.com/forum/forum...485-bbr-s-83gt
                    1973 F-250 BBF Turbo Truck http://www.bangshift.com/forum/forum...uck-conversion
                    1986 Ford Ranger EFI 545/C6 https://bangshift.com/forum/forum/ba...tooth-and-nail

Comment

That's just plumb butt ugly, that scene. Glad they were okay but I don't see how.
                      Charter member of the Turd Nuggets

Comment

The weigh of the car in a gentle roll is not really factored in at the factory... Why do I think that? ... Well I have seen 3 roll overs this year.. Different cars... The ones that flattened badly were those that had more slope at the windshield.. More drivers now will have a pipe and plates from roof to floor and bolted.. My problem with that is many derby cars do not have much of their floors left.
                        There is resistance to frame mounted stuff because it gives cars too much strength.. Most guys around here just hang big bars on the outside.. We have never rolled, never hope to.. But our cars will not crush the drivers. I am starting to want to add windshield bars as well.. Progression of the sport..

If there is thick enough plate at the floor to mount the bar to.. It should be ok.. With the welders avaiable now, there really is not an excuse to not have a good strong system that looks good too..
                        Last edited by Deaf Bob; December 4, 2012, 02:19 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by oldsman496 View Post
                          Who did the install? was it a reputable race fabrication shop?
                          See article: http://www.mustang50magazine.com/fea...x/viewall.html

That photo is classic. That will be around for years.

However that was fastened, it was to some thin stuff on a horizontal surface. Tore right thru. SCCA actually wants mounting plates to hook to some vertical structure as well, that probably would have helped.

Comment

I do know when we had to weld to the floor, thicker plated bases would rip the sheet metal.. So 3/8 or larger plate is determial to the installation unless you sandwich it with more plate and bolts..
                            When used thinner stuff, sheet metal or a little thicker, the bar would rip off..
                            1/8 or so will bend with the floor.
                            3/16 and 1/4 seems pretty stout.

Comment

Originally posted by Loren View Post
                              See article: http://www.mustang50magazine.com/fea...x/viewall.html

That photo is classic. That will be around for years.

However that was fastened, it was to some thin stuff on a horizontal surface. Tore right thru. SCCA actually wants mounting plates to hook to some vertical structure as well, that probably would have helped.
                              I looked through those pics and didn't see any tubes out back, under hood, or in the driver's compartment... no halo bar or door bars. and nothing in that short article says what style of 'cage' they put into those stangs.... fudge. I was just curious as to what it was. We all take risks when we drive and that scenario could play out just as easily on a back country road as it did on that road course. So to say they did the install wrong or shoddily, would be presumptive of me. I simply don't know and will not make any judgement calls.... BUT...... If I ever have the cash to or tru need, to install a roll bar, it will definately be a solid tube going through a double layer box and welded full perimeter with gussets and extra plating. period..... That pic is worth 10,000 words...

I sure wouldn't want to have to explain that damage to my insurance guy.....!

"I was parking at Wal-Mart and....." .
                              Mike in Southwest Ohio

Comment

Working...
                              X