Bench race this combo

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by jcharliem View Post
    That may be true... I've never thought of myself anywhere near a master in the area of building race cars... more like a back-yard hack.

However, I do have a hot rod which I built... it runs strong, and its tires sit squarely on the aspalt. Something not all of us can say. Hmmm.
    Yes I agree it is a bad ass Chevy!!!.......

Comment

Originally posted by TC View Post
      Math buddy, Math......... You right there are variables, but for the most part the math gets you in the ball park.........

And I used to think like you, but after taking other peoples results and comparing them to the Calculators and seeing basically the same results from the calculators as they were getting in real life, I realized that the calculators are pretty close to predicting what the outcome will be.......
      Somehow I knew you would get in on this.
      The caculators might get you close, and I use the term close pretty loosely. Sure a 500 hp engine in a 3000lb car "should" run 10's, but for every "one" you hear about on the internet there are probably 100 you didn't hear about that run 13's.
      You are right about the math though, it's just that there aren't any caculators that take into account "all of it". There is so much math, geometry, physics, and science that are going on it's hard to predict how each one effects the other.
      Just ask someone how long it takes to science out a ride. It's not as easy as plugging in a few numbers and hitting enter. What do you do if the car goes faster?
      Originally posted by TC
      also boost will make the cam act smaller

Comment

Originally posted by Beagle View Post
        Love your reply, I laughed like hell. Okay, you caught me. I'm full of shit... but... My MC's both felt like big fat pigs compared to a 3200 pound Mustang GT. The 88 did have the hair band cassettes in a giant storage locker in the back seat, electric everything, and only missed the T-Tops. Mom's 80 GP had t-tops and felt heavy too, so did her Hurst Olds (87 I believe). It's probably my bad memory, I never weighed it. The 80 turbo v6 car I put a 350 in ran pretty strong with a really mild motor in it though. Sorry, didn't mean to call your car fat. I like fat butt cars, so it wasn't an insult.

The head size didn't bother me so much as the duration with 10.5:1 , I was just thinking you'll be happier with a smaller cam. The one you spec'd may be pretty low cranking compression and be less snappy on the street than a smaller cam. Same for the smaller heads - dangit, now I can't remember who has the 195's on a 406 that's a pretty haul-ass car here. Yellowmalibu?

On the stroker, take a look at the cap screw rod articles. I had read something recently with a 3 7/8 stroke in a 350, had to go look:

none of it's cheap. lol. A stock 305 rebuild isn't cheap when you get through adding everything up!

You should link back to your project... I remember you doing a man pedal but not what transmission.
        My guess is the Mustangs feel a lot lighter on their feet because they flex less and have better suspensions. These cars pretty much blow chunks in stock form.

The official Bangshift garage door guru. Just about anything can be built using garage door parts, trust me.

Comment

Originally posted by JeffMcKC View Post
          There are about 15 better intakes to use than that one.
          I believe you. Please recommend an intake.
          The official Bangshift garage door guru. Just about anything can be built using garage door parts, trust me.

Comment

Originally posted by A/Fuel View Post
            I don't see how you can just say I have an engine that makes x ammount of hp and a car that weighs x ammount therefore it should run this et. Hp and weight are big factors for sure but, track condition, elevation, weather, aero/drag, chassis set up, and driving style....just to name a few, all come into play.
            a huge dynamic is the hardness of the same weight chassis, one to next...
            dispersal of static pressures, it is fun to learn the hard way...way more not written than written, because it cannot be.

I believe in maximizing a number ..always chassis.
            I have yet to see how much my ricer lost adding a sheet 4x8 and much more, 40 pounds of mig..
            a tricky game some manufacture play to claim heavy.

did you know a hot cup of coffee ways more than a cold..even though the same cup, and amount of fluid?

weak steel buzzing along can fake a wait...hard steel, perhaps heavier..can add up to be lighter than the buzzing one...
            biggest messup in cars for many years.

yesterdays 300hp in a hard unibody today = very big engine.

I even got a slob of an old stereotyped boxer engine buzzing like a pack of bees, hard body does most of it.
            Last edited by Barry Donovan; December 7, 2012, 04:15 PM.
            Previously boxer3main
            the death rate and fairy tales cannot kill the nature left behind.

Comment

It sure would be nice if all the crank manufacturers would supply 4" stroke cranks with 2.000" rod journals so with the recontoured for clearance rods the package would fit easier.

Comment

Working...
              X