Suburban Shopping

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Suburban Shopping

My wife and I are going to look at Suburbans this weekend. We are looking mostly at the 2001-05 there are a couple 2500 with the 6.0. I don’t need a 3/4 ton SUV but they seemed to be priced well. I am having a hard time finding MPG info on the 2500 how much worse will it been than the 5.3? Anything to look out for on these vehicals?
    Last edited by Russell; December 6, 2012, 06:03 AM.
    http://www.bangshift.com/forum/forum...-consolidation
    1.54, 7.31 @ 94.14, 11.43 @ 118.95

PB 60' 1.49
    ​​​​​​

Rust seems to ruin alot of them around here. Im starting to see them with the quarters rotted out. My friend 2002 Tahoe has about 40,000 miles and the bottom is getting rusty. I guess where you are it might not be an issue but if its 4wd then look it over since it might have come from here.

Comment

What are you going to use it for? If it is to replace the Dodge as a trailer tow-er I'd look for a Diesel - I think they came that way. If it's going to be Jennifer's new ride the requirements are different. Of course, I'd STILL go for the Diesel but I'm warped that way!

Dan

Comment

I don't think you can wrong with one of these ..... From what I've seen/heard, there's not a huge difference between the 5.3 and 6.0 as far as mpg goes. I have a customer w/an '01 that has 328k on it ..... at roughly 280k, it became a game with him to see how long it will go ....

Duramax was not offered in this gen of suburban unfortunately ....
        Whiskey for my men ... and beer for their horses!

Comment

THAT'S a bummer! They need the oil burner.

Dan

Comment

Yes they do .... look at the value the Excursions w/PSD hold.....if you can find one that doesn't have a bazillion miles on it.
            Whiskey for my men ... and beer for their horses!

Comment

This is going to be Jennifer's car, or a Garage Queen, she says she is going to keep on using her "new" 1989 ranger as her DD, only time will tell, We are going to get rid of her '08 Nissan Rogue while it still has some value before the replacement only CVT takes a crap. I much rather deal with Chevy drivetain. At this time I plan to keep the Cummins, It pulls good, and I really like the 8' bed. I rather have the LS motor they grow on trees if it pukes

PB 60' 1.49
              ​​​​​​

Comment

I'm no expert on newer stuff.. I often drive my daughter's 07 4X4 crew cab short box (their 3rd car with the car seats)
                It has the 4.? V-8 and is ok as a town rig.. Get it on the highway, it's adequate.. Their Suburban with the 5.3 and huge tires had way more pep! .. Son in law was thinking the smaller V-8 got better mileage but my daughter says no.. That I can believe as my inline 6 4X4 chevy pickup gets worse mileage than the V-8 ones do... Working harder..
                She now drives an 09 Yukon with the 5.3. More power, better mileage, a few INCHES shorter than the 'Burb.. If you plan to tow, get the 'Burb, if not, Yukon/Tahoe.. Or if you really need the carge space in back.. Compared to my 90 'Burb, she has maybe a foot or little more less space in the rear.. Be more comfy to sleep in the 'Burb, if needed...
                All in all, get Jennifer what she wants rather than what she needs
                Last edited by Deaf Bob; December 6, 2012, 08:50 AM.

Comment

Hey Russell. I would recommend a sub with a 5.3L They have good power and were rated at 15-16 city and 19-20 hwy. I had a 2001 and it almost always got 15-16 city and I drove it over 30,000 miles per year. Even at 300,000 miles when I traded it in last year it was getting the same mileage. The transmissions usually last 150,000 to 175,000 before needing an overhaul. I towed a lot of cars back and forth to California and the Midwest for Drag Week. Those times it averaged 12-14. As far as a 6.0L I have heard they get about 3-4 mpg less. Also, my Sub was a 1500 with the trailer tow pack. and 3.73 diff. My 2010 Sub is a 5.3 1500. It has 3.08 gears and averages 17-18 in town and 20.0 hwy when not towing, towing it gets about 15.

Comment

The 6.0 in an extended cab with the Allison will pull about 17-18mpg hwy with a pussy driving it (me, I'm soft on the gas pedal) or about 14 with normal heavy foot .I'm guessing about the same for the 'Burb, which has questionably better aero design but more weight. (either slope the back or drop it off flat is what I read all the time).

I didn't like the program on the Allison, it's downshift happy and they have plenty of torque and shouldn't need to downshift. It's worse, understandably, in tow mode.

I'd be okay with a 5.3 in the Tahoe maybe, but for a 'burb I'd want the six-oh. You might consider the Cadillac as well, they get hit hard on depreciation, and the aluminum 6.2 is a beast. I'd think about totaling it on purpose to get the mill.
                    Flying south, with a flock of bird dogs.

Comment

Originally posted by DanStokes View Post
                      THAT'S a bummer! They need the oil burner.

Dan
                      +1
                      ..and they aren't the super compilations of steel most think. That must be another southern interpretation.
                      Previously boxer3main
                      the death rate and fairy tales cannot kill the nature left behind.

Comment

The 6.2 did not come out untill 2007 they need to depracate some more before I can buy one but 403 HP would be cool

PB 60' 1.49
                        ​​​​​​

Comment

I wouldn't think .9 liters would hurt gas mileage much but, according to my calculations thats about 55 cubes. I still think the biggest hit on mpg would be the lower gears and all the heavy axles and brakes. I'd go 5.3 two wheel drive. If they are hard to find two wheelers like here,you may want to look in Oklahoma. I here 80% two wheel drive there.
                          Previously HoosierL98GTA

Comment

Fly out and buy DF's '73 GMC suburban. 3/4 ton, 454, dual AC, trailer set up. $3500.
                            BS'er formally known as Rebeldryver

Resident Instigator

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Russell View Post
                              My wife and I are going to look at Suburbans this weekend. We are looking mostly at the 2001-05 there are a couple 2500 with the 6.0. I don’t need a 3/4 ton SUV but they seemed to be priced well. I am having a hard time finding MPG info on the 2500 how much worse will it been than the 5.3? Anything to look out for on these vehicals?
                              I had a '02 GMC 3500 extended cab flatbed that had the 6.0, I got 11mpg........

My wife's '04 Suburban gets 15-16 in town it has the 5.3....... Oh ya and it's a Flex Fuel Vehicle to.......
                              Last edited by TC; December 6, 2012, 01:08 PM.

Comment

Working...
                              X