Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Problem rust areas to look for on a '79 RX-7?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Problem rust areas to look for on a '79 RX-7?

I remember these cars, and did some "youthful driving" in one a few times.

But now that 20+ years have elapsed, what are the rust issue areas to look for?

Anyone know?
    Of all the paths you take in life - make sure a few of them are dirt.

Floor boards, we got 3 in in the last year, only one had good floors..

Comment

And that one is currently being melted down in China I assume?

Just curious..... if a good one did show up there, could it be sold w/title? Our local guys used to sell out of the lot, but that seems to have changed in recent years.

Comment

Dang Stiney, Fox body's, RX-7's, you're all over the map lately.
        Life is short. Be a do'er and not a shoulda done'er.
        1969 Galaxie 500 https://bangshift.com/forum/forum/ba...ild-it-s-alive
        1998 Mustang GT https://bangshift.com/forum/forum/ba...60-and-a-turbo
        1983 Mustang GT 545/552/302/Turbo302/552 http://www.bangshift.com/forum/forum...485-bbr-s-83gt
        1973 F-250 BBF Turbo Truck http://www.bangshift.com/forum/forum...uck-conversion
        1986 Ford Ranger EFI 545/C6 https://bangshift.com/forum/forum/ba...tooth-and-nail

Comment

Originally posted by STINEY View Post
          And that one is currently being melted down in China I assume?

Just curious..... if a good one did show up there, could it be sold w/title? Our local guys used to sell out of the lot, but that seems to have changed in recent years.
          I had a 79 & an 80 or listed on craigslist but no one bought them.
          Still have the 80 it's still fairly complete, & yes they can be sold, the yard has a dealers license.

Comment

Don't forget the Willys, and a couple other tempting items.

Winter stir-crazy? Mid-life crisis? Trying to find a way around shortage of time.......lots left I want to do!

Tardis, I'm not trying to paint you into a corner here - but would one of yours be price-comparable to the one I referenced?

Is the '80 the one with good floors? What might it be missing?

Comment

I like the newer body better this 87 has been for sale for a long time. I need another hole in the head but I don't really have space or the cash right now

Less Rust on NC cars
              Last edited by Russell; December 7, 2012, 02:26 PM.
              http://www.bangshift.com/forum/forum...-consolidation
              1.54, 7.31 @ 94.14, 11.43 @ 118.95

PB 60' 1.49
              ​​​​​​

Comment

Originally posted by STINEY View Post
                Don't forget the Willys, and a couple other tempting items.

Winter stir-crazy? Mid-life crisis? Trying to find a way around shortage of time.......lots left I want to do!

Tardis, I'm not trying to paint you into a corner here - but would one of yours be price-comparable to the one I referenced?

Is the '80 the one with good floors? What might it be missing?
                It's a 1980 LS, southern car, good floors, fenders smashed, wheels are gone.
                Boss says minimum is $600..

The one you're looking at is nicer, cheaper too..

Comment

I am glad to have found a rusty ricer..
                  the games end when steel reveals itself.

the rx-7 is retarded in the dog legs, root of a-pillars and every rear end mounting point.
                  being a two door, some extra floor beams, like I did fo a subaru, is most necessary....as a factory rx-7.

v8 games? get a few 30 pounds of mig wire and let er rip.

floors are nothing..it is what they are attached to that is the problem.

the white beams, surround driveshaft carrier. literally 2x4 as in wood measurements..simply coincidence. that is as big as I could go and bolt seats back in.

the 2 doors are terrifying. 4 doors got a b-piilar to gain some thirds in load dispersal...and i have a steel bar roof rock at the top of b-pillar on the roof.

in the diary I keep, this was 2010. It was 3 days and to late nights, after gutting interior. the last wheel well? that came yet a year later.

Still dialing in going on its third year. this poor buggy was almost at its end to take this long to hot weld shrinking, new steel anodizing. the curve of win is awesome to live on its own time scale..the longer it takes the more work you did.

the ricer is for welders. it even loses welders who are welders elsewhere as a relation for something to talk of..not many tackle these tin cans.
                  Last edited by Barry Donovan; December 7, 2012, 03:24 PM.
                  Previously boxer3main
                  the death rate and fairy tales cannot kill the nature left behind.

Comment

a kid I ran with in HS had one of these and we used to tinker on it from time to time. It is prone to rust everywhere. Revery attaching point for the rear end was rotted, the floor boards were toast, and i remeber the firewall and front window frame being swiss cheese as well.
                    If you can leave two black stripes from the exit of one corner to the braking zone of the next, you have enough horsepower. - Mark Donohue

Comment

Stole one once while neighbor was on vacation. (I think the statute of limitations is up on the GTA) . Had a 5 speed which beeped at us when it hit red line. Fun car to throw around corners. That Wankel motor sounded weird at full.song.
                      BS'er formally known as Rebeldryver

Resident Instigator

sigpic

Comment

Pay special attention to the area behind the front bumper, just forward of the rear bumper.
                        Yes, I'm a CarJunkie... How many times would YOU rebuild the same engine before getting a crate motor?

Comment

Working...
                        X