• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

NAPA brand tools rule.
    Escaped on a technicality.

Comment

Originally posted by Bamfster View Post
      It all started when they started selling craftsman @ K mart ....
      Actually, it all started downhill when Sears started selling Craftsman tools at Western Auto (circa 1988 ). I was (and still am) a big fan of the old Western Auto Supply Company Wizard tools when they were made in USA.

I am not a big fan of Sears or their hostile takeovers of companies like Western Auto, Ace Tru-Value Hardware or K-Mart.

The majority of my tools are Proto, but I have a healthy selection of Snap-On, S-K, Mac and Matco with a smattering of Craftsman (pre-1990). I have three 3/8" drive ratchets: A Craftsman, an SK and a SnapOn. Which one do I grab 90% of the time? The SK. It just feels right and it has never, ever let me down. (I inherited it from my dad and I am guessing he had it since the 1960's)

Ron
      Last edited by Ron Ward; December 11, 2012, 11:29 AM.
      It's really no different than trying to glue them back on after she has her way.

Comment

I thought K-mart took over Sears?
        Escaped on a technicality.

Comment

Originally posted by TheSilverBuick View Post
          I thought K-mart took over Sears?
          they did... soon they too will be completely Chinese made - for the same reason as Stanley.... but, then again, we bemoan yet still shop at Walmart, and buy stuff made in China... it is expensive, comparatively, to do business in the US - and I really don't think that I'm immune to a "great deal" either...

funny thing about K-mart - it is a success story, a few years prior to the purchase (like 3) they were in bankruptcy court... and Sears was well on its way to the same fate when K-mart intervened.
          Last edited by SuperBuickGuy; December 11, 2012, 11:51 AM.
          Doing it all wrong since 1966

Comment

Originally posted by Ron Ward View Post

The majority of my tools are Proto,

Ron
            As in the Proto Pipe??.....

Comment

My Father-in-law was bemoaning the downward spiral of the local hardware store, linking it to the opening of a Home Depot 5 miles down the road.

We went downstairs into his garage and he proudly showed me the new DeWalt power tools he had purchased. I asked him how much they cost at the local hardware store, "oh no, Bob, I bought them at Home Depot, they were much cheaper."

We are the drivers of the economy and the arbiters of who wins and loses. We vote with our wallets, and its rare that lower cost isn't the winner. We've chosen "inexpensive" over quality.

Don't get me wrong, I do the same thing...there are consequences to our actions.
              I'm still learning

Comment

Originally posted by TC View Post
                As in the Proto Pipe??.....

Is that one of those electrical exhaust cut-out thingies?
                It's really no different than trying to glue them back on after she has her way.

Comment

Originally posted by Ron Ward View Post
                  Is that one of those electrical exhaust cut-out thingies?
                  Only if your using an electric lighter....

Comment

Working...
                  X