Redneck Homemade Christmas Card

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Redneck Homemade Christmas Card

Wow, is this ever a blast from the past. It won't mean a thing to y'all, but over 20 years ago, I was single after the first divorce and living in a tiny apartment in Lancaster SC. And feeling the holiday spirit. Glad to have a place to stay away from trouble.

And wanting to tell my friends in Florida to have a great Christmas. I was working on a shipping dock, driving a lift truck and loading rolls of paper outbound to the printing presses.

We used IBM cards for inventory back then. I made this Christmas card on the back of IBM cards and mailed it to my friends in Florida. My buddy (the Other Rusty) kept it for years and when he was going to move, found it in his pile of stuff and thought enough of it to scan it and email it to me.

What a helluva keepsake. Again, it won't mean a thing to y'all like it does to me.

Charter member of the Turd Nuggets

Cool card.. Youth today do not understand frugality, being broke and doing without..
    Everything's handed to em, done up by gadgets.. NOWNOWNOW do not understand rotary phones or 3 day mail or even airmail..
    Bulbs for Xmas lights on the tree that BURNS your fingers, or your house down..
    Out houses with 2 holes.. Monkey wards and Roebuck catalogs that were 3 inches thick and every toy was in there for the price of unobtainium..

Comment

Originally posted by Deaf Bob View Post
      Cool card.. Youth today do not understand frugality, being broke and doing without..
      Everything's handed to em, done up by gadgets.. NOWNOWNOW do not understand rotary phones or 3 day mail or even airmail..
      Bulbs for Xmas lights on the tree that BURNS your fingers, or your house down..
      Out houses with 2 holes.. Monkey wards and Roebuck catalogs that were 3 inches thick and every toy was in there for the price of unobtainium..
      I agree with this, but think my parents taught me well. I'm 26, have my own place, know how to use a rotary phone (parents had one actually), don't have anything done for me (i get advised of what to do, but make my own decision), remember waiting for mail, and chasing down burnt out light bulbs putting up strands of lights outside or on the tree. The catalogs were before my time, but I do remember Montgomery Wards.

That being said, I've never had too many close friends to even send a card to, and my artistic ability is limited to picking up a pencil and drawing stick figures lol. I prefer to call someone and wish them a Merry Christmas, so they can hear it from my voice, and the sincerity with which I say it.

Peewee, your friend kept this card because it meant something to him, and my parents have done the same with some Christmas Tree ornaments that my brother and I got when we were kids. Those ornaments mean a lot us as a family, and usually when we put up the tree, there are warm conversations of 'remember when we got this one?' Those are memories that are priceless to me.

Comment

xmas sucks.
        no cards, no past memories, and a fat landlord.

just kidding, I am alive and not well for reasons yet to be deciphered.

that is different, a card coming back as a memory... I tried on my pc some time ago, making something for xmas cards, 1 for everybody.. not the same as youthful times.

photos seem to do much more..and more likely to come back remembered.
        Last edited by Barry Donovan; December 9, 2012, 07:40 PM.
        Previously boxer3main
        the death rate and fairy tales cannot kill the nature left behind.

Comment

Originally posted by Deaf Bob View Post
          Youth today wouldn't know what the hell a punch card was! DAMN pdub, you're OLD! lmao. We played with those things when I was a kid, I remember boxes of them in numbered sequence and thinking "Boy would that suck if they got dropped"

I'll probably rot in hell for taking 138 and putting it right behind 1123.

Kids today wouldn't understand what that meant either. If you guys used punch cards, you're probably cussing me right now. If I had a gameboy, I wouldn't have been in to that mischief!

I tease pdub. You're not that much older than me.

Reindeer - it's what's for supper!
          Last edited by Beagle; December 10, 2012, 06:25 AM.
          Flying south, with a flock of bird dogs.

Comment

Originally posted by Leadsledcaprice View Post
            I agree with this, but think my parents taught me well. I'm 26, have my own place, know how to use a rotary phone (parents had one actually), don't have anything done for me (i get advised of what to do, but make my own decision), remember waiting for mail, and chasing down burnt out light bulbs putting up strands of lights outside or on the tree. The catalogs were before my time, but I do remember Montgomery Wards.

That being said, I've never had too many close friends to even send a card to, and my artistic ability is limited to picking up a pencil and drawing stick figures lol. I prefer to call someone and wish them a Merry Christmas, so they can hear it from my voice, and the sincerity with which I say it.

Peewee, your friend kept this card because it meant something to him, and my parents have done the same with some Christmas Tree ornaments that my brother and I got when we were kids. Those ornaments mean a lot us as a family, and usually when we put up the tree, there are warm conversations of 'remember when we got this one?' Those are memories that are priceless to me.
            Makes you the exception rather than the norm...
            Bet you are a hell of a guy to get to know!
            You are wise beyond your years, it shows.. Your parents are proud! If not, they should be!!

Comment

Working...
            X