Shafiroff's New 509 Offeing

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Shafiroff's New 509 Offeing

Seems Shafiroff is offering a newer version of the 409........a 509 and all aluminum.
    Article doesn't give the cost....sure it's not cheap.
    I know what I've got invested in my W build and we used an iron truck block.

The Shafiroff 509 is a retro-cool modern version of the old Chevy W-series big-block engine. Based on a mating of the World Products aluminum block and Edelbrock 409 heads, the engine made 615 horsepower on pump gas. Owners of early '60s Chevys, pickups and street rods are the target customer.
    Thom

"The object is to keep your balls on the table and knock everybody else's off..."

Very cool - and, I'll bet, pricey. I wonder how much lighter?

Dan

Comment

Originally posted by DanStokes View Post
      Very cool - and, I'll bet, pricey. I wonder how much lighter?

Dan
      Not quite sure.........Bob Walla was working on his aluminum version several years ago and I
      had his numbers at one time. An iron 409 all loaded up I think is a little over 600 lbs.

Just got these prices for the Shafiroff's offering:

615HP $26,500
      545HP $23,500
      Thom

"The object is to keep your balls on the table and knock everybody else's off..."

Comment

Invested?
        Doing it all wrong since 1966

Comment

sunk?

Comment

Dropped?
            Thom

Comment

And the song lyrics update just fine, " she's real fine, my...". So sure what's $26K for 615 HP
              Drag Week 2006 & 2012 - Winner Street Race Big Block Naturally Aspirated - R/U 2007 Broke DW '05 and Drag Weekend '15 Coincidence?

Comment

Originally posted by CDMBill View Post
                And the song lyrics update just fine, " she's real fine, my...". So sure what's $26K for 615 HP
                That is a hell of a bargain for 615hp.

Comment

Gonna take alot of pennies and dimes.
                  Phil / Omaha

Comment

Aluminum block weighs 131#, iron block 196#
                    Lots of weight savings in the heads.

We made 647 hp & 602 # tq
                    Thom

Comment

Whatever Shafiroff builds is good stuff. I am so glad I bought the heads and cam they recommended for my dragster as I have more power and reliabilty when I make a changeto the tune-up than anything I have experienced. If you want the best, plan on paying for it!!!

Comment

Sort of cool to see 'em take the W block and work with it.........and yeah it
                        ain't cheap when it's done right.
                        Thom

Comment

Working...
                        X