So, What's Fun?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• So, What's Fun?

Brian's story about the hotrod plane and Doolittle reminded me of flying RC planes, where there was no risk involved other than hitting somebody with a gas powered plane at speed that was out of control and crashing.

But I was also reminded after being reminded that all of the things I've really reveled in and had fun with have been hand-eye. Driving counts. That's must be why I got so much more out of a road course than the land speed thing.

But it's all hand-eye. Shooting pool. Video games. Flying RC. Road course in real life. Playing guitar, but that's hand-eye-ear, the next level I guess.

One of the most legal job interview questions to ask is, what are your hobbies? It's telling. "I like reading and gardening." Or whatever. It's legal and it's telling, who you're looking at when you've never seen them or met them before.

I guess it's a silly question to raise here on BS, where it's obvious that everybody (except for me) is a wrench turning gear head, but mine's a bigger issue.

I really do believe my bigger-biggest attraction has always been to anything hand-eye. Is that a decent thread question?
    Last edited by pdub; December 11, 2012, 04:47 PM.
    Charter member of the Turd Nuggets

as far as me and the net, it is hand eye there too. photo, video, anything computer.

the farther the declaration of what is strong fades away to sharpened pixels with black holes..my hobby is staying where I am at...if it means the net fading away from me.

the car stuff and cost, its crazy..can't fulfill the wants there for several years.
    Previously boxer3main
    the death rate and fairy tales cannot kill the nature left behind.

Comment

Originally posted by boxer3main View Post
      as far as me and the net, it is hand eye there too. photo, video, anything computer.

the farther the declaration of what is strong fades away to sharpened pixels with black holes..my hobby is staying where I am at...if it means the net fading away from me.

the car stuff and cost, its crazy..can't fulfill the wants there for several years.
      Barry, photo/video is not hand-eye. That's another passion. That's spatial interpretation. You do have to aim, but....

Hand-eye is, my eye sees something that needs doing, and my hand follows that eye command, and something different happens. Like driving, or flying. Or....shooting fish an a barrel. I'm sure that's fun but I've never done it. Yet. Not yet.

I haven't shot pool very well yet either. But is sure is a helluva lot of fun (to me).

Comment

Hobbies? Let's see...

Drummer, photography (nothing too special), actual flight, both fixed-wing and rotor flight (well, used to...) and aircraft accident investigation.
        Editor-at-Large at...well, here, of course!

"Remy-Z, you've outdone yourself again, I thought a Mirada was the icing on the cake of rodding, but this Imperial is the spread of little 99-cent candy letters spelling out "EAT ME" on top of that cake."

Comment

Test...can I post anything? I'm having local technical difficulties here....Test

Comment

I really enjoy lifting heavy things...It is the closes thing I have ever found to bliss.

I like to cook and eat what I cook.

I like to paint and draw.

I like to drive....fast.

I like to play with my dogs....

There is Joe in a nut shell. A super complicated human being for sure, it is obviously no wonder to anyone why I am such an enigma to my wife.
            If you can leave two black stripes from the exit of one corner to the braking zone of the next, you have enough horsepower. - Mark Donohue

Comment

I know I've posted this before but as a 6 year old kid I fell hard for HO scale model trains. It's a hobby that has come and gone a few times and currently is totally on the back burner. But I know some day I'll get into it again like in the 90's when my whole life revolved around it. As strange as it sounds it's so much like the car hobby for some of the hard-core guys which I was a part of. Believe it or not there are the Trepaniers, Fooses and Coddingtons of the model train world. We'd spend months and a few hundred bucks custom building a locomotive or boxcar using aftermarket parts, it was crazy. For now though, it's the Montego.
              Just groovin' to my own tune.

Comment

BangShift! THAT'S what's fun. Also woodwork, music (though I haven't done much lately), travel, and eating out. Oops - almost forgot tool collecting. I try to deny that it's a passion (but honey I NEED this laser machining station to make a hinge that we could buy at Lowe's) but really it is.

Dan

Comment

Not sure how you'd interpret these Peedub, but here's mine in no particular order. Reading, puzzles, gardening, cooking, working on cars, drawing, music... This could go on for awhile.
                  I'm probably wrong

Comment

Recently its been playing games with my Kindergartener. She is getting better counting, taking turns, strategy, etc. so playing games is where you actually play and have to try to win, or she will kick your but.
                    Neal

Drag Week 2010, 2011, 2012, 2013

Comment

I have done the hand-eye thing quite a bit as well. Other than the car thing, which includes turning corners as well as drags and seeing how fast it will go.

I fly RC, also have RC boats and cars/trucks. Currently my planes are all grounded so I fly on my PC with a sim. Much easier to rebuild after a crash. I enjoy building them, but also the foam stick three things together and charge the battery and go fly planes too.

Video games are what I have been doing the most since my lungs went south, mostly first person shooters and combat flight sims. I really enjoy WWII era dogfighting, and not the arcade style stuff, but the as real as it gets without actually flying type of sim.

One thing I really enjoy is target shooting. It is practice for the time when its needed, but its also there is something satisfying about it. So many variables, patience, concentration, skill, and knowing yourself all come into the mix of shooting long distances with accuracy.

Havent drawn in a while, but I can draw almost anything. Lately I have been playing around with photoshop, changing pics around, and shooting photographs. Its fun taking a sad looking 4 door and turning it into a cool racy 2 door that has been chopped, channeled, sectioned, and reworked almost entirely.. Doing that inspires me and I dont use any welding wire or gas.

Other creative stuff is sculpting, usually metal but I have done clay, wood, and stone too. Baking is lots of fun, mostly because I can eat it once its done, but its also a challenge to get it right and make it look as good as it tastes. I do all the cooking around here, except for her popcorn and mac-n-cheese.

Used to lift like Joe, but that brings problems along with it. My biceps hit my forearms long before I can reach much of my back. So I need a stick to get at itches that arent on my shoulders. I can reach the back of my neck, and the small of my back and thats about it. The only bonus is I can still bench well over 350lbs, and my all time max was quite a bit more than that back in 2003. It comes at a cost though, I look really fat when I am not that fat, I need more oxygen and I can get sore really easy if I dont breathe right, and my muscles can break ribs and other small bones from straining. Most of the mass came from my USAF job in 90-91, and I have only tried to reshape and define since then, havent been hard core building ever. 22" arms and a 21" neck is big enough. Its still fun to go lift, but I dont want or need any more mass to haul around, all it does is slow down my drag car and make my knees ache.

Comment

What's fun for Ron?

1. beer drinking
                        2. wrenching on stuff
                        3. beer drinking
                        4. playing guitar
                        5. beer drinking
                        6. listening to music
                        7. beer drinking
                        8. grilling/smoking
                        9. beer drinking
                        10. fishing
                        11. beer drinking
                        12. BangShift.com
                        13. beer drinking
                        14. disc golf
                        15. beer drinking
                        It's really no different than trying to glue them back on after she has her way.

Comment

Great stuff there Ron, and Im reminded that I completely neglected beer drinking on my roundup. Similarly, I left out breathing and blinking while I'm awake.

Comment

Does making beer count? I cant find much of it I want to drink in this country. Might make some at some point. Then again, I dont like the feeling of drinking too much, just one or two once in a while dos it for me.

Comment

Am I the only Manly Man who doesn't LIKE beer? I mean, I hate the way it tastes. I've tried many brands (including microbrews) and it all tastes like sweat to me. Various flavors of sweat, but sweat. No thanks. But to each his own.

Dan

Comment

Working...
                              X