Pre "Black Album" Metallica fans...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Pre "Black Album" Metallica fans...

The official Metallica website with all the latest news, tour dates, media and more. Join the Fan Club to become the Fifth Member of Meta...

All I can say is thank F@#% Bob Rock is gone.
    (..and it sounds like they might be playing a lot more E all the time. Thank you sweet Jesus! :P)

Re: Pre "Black Album" Metallica fans...

But we gotta wait till September. :-\

Comment

Yeah, what was that "St. Anger" all about anyhow ??

???

Comment

Originally posted by BlackoutSteve
        The official Metallica website with all the latest news, tour dates, media and more. Join the Fan Club to become the Fifth Member of Meta...

All I can say is thank F@#% Bob Rock is gone.
        (..and it sounds like they might be playing a lot more E all the time. Thank you sweet Jesus! :P)
        Are you kidding? (first I'll qualify, I was a Metallica fan since MoP)

Do you not like Bob Rock since his production skills helped them sell a hundred million albums? I am into audio production, and I thought that Justice for All would have been a better album had they run into Bob Rock instead of whomever the idiot was that recorded/engineered it. Don't hate him just because he knows how to make an album that becomes popular. I hate when people call Metallica "sellouts" just because they had a few albums sell big... they still put on a heluva live show... and play the old material too...

-scott
        www.realtuners.com - catch the RealTuners Radio Podcast on Youtube, Facebook, iTunes, and anywhere else podcasts are distributed!

Comment

For some reason I was never a big metallica fan until recently. Started downloading itunes for my ipod that I wear when I'm exercising.
          My favorite is King Nothing.
          Any other song suggestions I should check out?

Comment

Oh hell yeah!!!!!!! (Rocker smiley face inserted here)

I like a few songs on the last couple albums but I have been waiting for some older style material. This should be good.

Comment

Signed up yesterday morning.
              Metallica rules. Period.
              All of it is good in one way or another.
              They are the Zeppelin of my generation.

Comment

Any professional musician that plays for a period of time, will get better with practice and can't help becoming a better musician. This usually makes them sound more refined, so they get hits, the albums sell and they are then cursed as a "sell-out".

Fair ??

Check out the studio albums below (in order of release date) and you be the judge.

Kill 'Em All
                Ride the Lightning
                Master of Puppets
                ...And Justice for All
                Metallica (aka Black Album)
                Load
                ReLoad
                St. Anger (.. maybe Robert Trujillo on bass changed their sound too much ?)

Comment

Black was the beginning of the end. It was still good but different, however everything but S&M and the Garage Days sucked after that. I've liked Metallica long enough to actually remember when Kill'em All still had Am I Evil on it when you bought it in the store. I'm not sure I want them to go back to the old days, they are older now and how do you make garage rock when you have to move the Ferrarri and Porches out of the way...?
                  Central TEXAS Sleeper
                  USAF Physicist

ROA# 9790

Comment

Originally posted by dieselgeek

Are you kidding? (first I'll qualify, I was a Metallica fan since MoP)

Do you not like Bob Rock since his production skills helped them sell a hundred million albums? I am into audio production, and I thought that Justice for All would have been a better album had they run into Bob Rock instead of whomever the idiot was that recorded/engineered it. Don't hate him just because he knows how to make an album that becomes popular. I hate when people call Metallica "sellouts" just because they had a few albums sell big... they still put on a heluva live show... and play the old material too...

-scott
                    I agree. I find it interesting how people always rag on artists that manage to achieve success - even when they do it on their own terms. In the case of Metallica, I find it impressive that they have managed to consistantly produce fresh, interesting material that appeals to a wide fan base without plodding along and re-recording the same album over and over like AC/DC or Nickleback.

As far as production value is concerned, I can't understand how anyone could think that a poorly recorded and produced album is preferable to one that where the artist and producers actaully cared about sound quality. One of the biggest step backwards in recorded music over the past few years has been the trend towards "self-produced" music recorded in a basement or garage. It's kinda like building cars - just because the tools are available to almost everyone does not meen everyone should be using them. Bob Rock is successful for one reason and one reason only: He's good at what he does - he understands the artist's vision, and works with that to produce a marketable peice of music that still keeps it's artistic merit.

DG:

You do audio production? For who?

Comment

Originally posted by Not A Duster

DG:

You do audio production? For who?
                      Not for a living, but as a hobby. I have more in drums & hardware, microphones, preamps, and recording gear than a lot of people have in their cars. Since I sucked at anything requiring athletic ability, my parents force fed music to me since birth. I don't regret it.

My only musical claims to "fame" is a short time playing drums for a country act in the early 90's who did have a few top 40 hits (one was a #1). I later got into recording, have played on a few studio albums, probably nothing you have heard of (except maybe Cedric Benoit? Cajun guy who I've worked with a few times). I do a lot of demo recordings for different originals bands here in Omaha, and I did do an original demo for a band called "The Faint" who later went on to set a record for the most albums sold as an Indy act (500,000+ copies)...

so nothing real huge, but it's been a hobby of mine for a long time. Since I am an electronics nerd, I have built a few of my own preamplifiers, power amps, etc. from various online plans - nothing of my own design or anything crazy.

-scott
                      www.realtuners.com - catch the RealTuners Radio Podcast on Youtube, Facebook, iTunes, and anywhere else podcasts are distributed!

Comment

Watch Some Kind of Monster and you'll see that Metallica did not sell out as much as they just became wankers. Perhaps they were before, too, but I still am a pre-Black guy.

VH sold way more with Sammy, too, and while I like both DLR and SH, I prefer the rawness and poorer recordings of the DLR era. IMO music is not about technical perfection.

Comment

Originally posted by Freiburger
                          Watch Some Kind of Monster and you'll see that Metallica did not sell out as much as they just became wankers. Perhaps they were before, too, but I still am a pre-Black guy.

VH sold way more with Sammy, too, and while I like both DLR and SH, I prefer the rawness and poorer recordings of the DLR era. IMO music is not about technical perfection.

I guess I should clarify, I'm not entirely about technical perfection either, I think the DLR years of VH were WAAAY better than the Van Hagar stuff, I don't dislike Sammy and he puts on a good live show...

Van Halen 1 & 2, Diver Down, were all recorded in Demo-fashion with the whole band playing at one time, almost no overdubs, and in the same room... Eddie has written some neat memoirs about the early years. There is no arguing those were special times. So anyways, I know you probably think I am into "technical perfection" but actually, I respect the recording arts very much. Although technically, the analog methods used 25 years ago, from an audio perspective, were FAR superior to the digital methods used today.

Comment

If you like Metallica...

DO NOT WATCH SOME KIND OF MONSTER!!!!!

because your opinion will probably change afterwards.... :

The last one I bought was Load, then lost interest.

St Anger? Ha more like St Suckorzzzz
                            Life is short. Be a do'er and not a shoulda done'er.
                            1969 Galaxie 500 https://bangshift.com/forum/forum/ba...ild-it-s-alive
                            1998 Mustang GT https://bangshift.com/forum/forum/ba...60-and-a-turbo
                            1983 Mustang GT 545/552/302/Turbo302/552 http://www.bangshift.com/forum/forum...485-bbr-s-83gt
                            1973 F-250 BBF Turbo Truck http://www.bangshift.com/forum/forum...uck-conversion
                            1986 Ford Ranger EFI 545/C6 https://bangshift.com/forum/forum/ba...tooth-and-nail

Comment

Anyone else have VH0? Talk about bad recordings. Sounds like Kiss, who always sounded like a bad garage band to me.

Comment

Working...
                              X