Look Who Showed Up

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by peewee View Post
    Amos is coming to town (Chattanooga) on an airplane Saturday. From Oklahoma. A nationwide breeders' network.

Here's Amos:

[ATTACH=CONFIG]16133[/ATTACH]
    Famous Amos - he'll be half grown by June when we all come to drink beer with you and whup your butt on your home pool table.
    I read a story about John Elway being competitive - " This from a guy who once sold his pool table because he'd finally lost a game on it" but hopefully that's not you PW.
    Phil / Omaha

Comment

Originally posted by 70chevyC-10 View Post
      Famous Amos - he'll be half grown by June when we all come to drink beer with you and whup your butt on your home pool table.
      I read a story about John Elway being competitive - " This from a guy who once sold his pool table because he'd finally lost a game on it" but hopefully that's not you PW.
      I thought you guys were going to do the motel parking lot drinking thing and crash out directly. Heck, it would be JOYOUS to have the BS clan over here at the Weeville abode.

And No that would NOT be me, RE the Elway reference. In fact, the first time Matt came by to drink and shoot pool, he was the one who brought up betting on pool.

I agreed right away. I said, "Yeah, I'll BET you beat my ass shooting pool!" Heck, the table by itself is a more than formidable opponent for me. It's even more fun to shoot with other people shooting. The conversation alone is worth a mint.
      Charter member of the Turd Nuggets

Comment

PW - just 'cause he's cute and fuzzy (and he IS!) you and Ms. Unit still need to be pack leaders. Exercise, discipline, then affection. You can still give LOTS of affection but only when he's calm and submissive. Then he knows that calm and submissive = getting love, which they want. It soon becomes a habit for everyone and life is easy and GOOD. It's tempting to cuddle them all the time but it needs to be the RIGHT time!

I suggest you watch the Dog Whisperer and/or get the books and vids. It makes a BIG difference.

You'll have a blast together
        Dan

Comment

Originally posted by DanStokes View Post

You'll have a blast together
          Dan
          I'm sure we will Dan. And I'm sure we'll lose some sleep for a while, with a baby in the house.

Amos has a flight to catch, and it's up to the breeder. We sure hope it's Saturday (which suits us) but all of the paperwork says it's up the breeder and the airline, as far as weather blackouts, too hot, too cold to fly an animal, etc.. We'll sure see. Sue is SO excited! It's great to see that.

EDIT: That photo of Amos, that's a mighty big photo of a mighty little dog. At 11 weeks and a small breed dog at that, I'll bet he's not a as big as a beer can right now. Sue went and bought him a collar today that's as about as long as a cigarette, said to fit.

What an extravagance on our part. But that's the dog, and Amos will make our family be a house-full again.
          Last edited by pdub; December 17, 2012, 04:19 PM.

Comment

Oh I am so happy you guys found a new little friend. This dog does not know how lucky it is!
            That awkward moment when you realize it IS your circus and those ARE your monkeys!

Comment

Originally posted by LORENSWIFE View Post
              Oh I am so happy you guys found a new little friend. This dog does not know how lucky it is!
              Not yet Gail. He doesn't even know how lucky yet, agreed. One danged lucky dog. One REAL lucky dog, we'll see to that.
              Last edited by pdub; December 17, 2012, 06:04 PM.

Comment

I thought you guys were going to do the motel parking lot drinking thing and crash out directly. Heck, it would be JOYOUS to have the BS clan over here at the Weeville abode.

And No that would NOT be me, RE the Elway reference. In fact, the first time Matt came by to drink and shoot pool, he was the one who brought up betting on pool.

I agreed right away. I said, "Yeah, I'll BET you beat my ass shooting pool!" Heck, the table by itself is a more than formidable opponent for me. It's even more fun to shoot with other people shooting. The conversation alone is worth a mint.
                Just hanging out will be the fun part - where does not matter much - beer does though.
                Phil / Omaha

Comment

So why did the neighbor's lost dog dog show up on our doorstep this afternoon? Divine intervention I believe. Whether you belive it or not, we do.
                  I don't believe in coincidence. Enjoy the warm hearts that dog will deliver.

A neighbor just lost his Shepherd - 14 years - he was a truly amazing animal, it's as if my friend lost a son - pets are family indeed.

This dog is lucky to have such a great family waiting for it. Any thoughts on names yet?
                  There's always something new to learn.

Comment

Originally posted by 70chevyC-10 View Post
                    Just hanging out will be the fun part - where does not matter much - beer does though.
                    That'll do it then Phil, now you're committed to a destination. Weeville is about 4 minutes from your motel here.

Comment

Originally posted by milner351 View Post
                      Any thoughts on names yet?
                      We're digging the name the breeders gave him - Amos. Yep, that fits. Perfectly. Here comes Amos.

Unit already keeps looking out the front door saying, "Come ON Amos!"

Comment

Isn't there a great old Jim Reed song about a boy named Amos? Lived down in the swamp? Daddy used him for aligator bait?

;-)
                        There's always something new to learn.

Comment

Originally posted by milner351 View Post
                          Isn't there a great old Jim Reed song about a boy named Amos? Lived down in the swamp? Daddy used him for aligator bait?

;-)
                          This little feller wouldn't keep a gator content for long. And we moved out of the swamp to get here, so I think we'll be okay.

Comment

Famous Amos.
                            Made darn good cookies. Before they "packaged" them... The dough the places hadto bake were sooo good! Buy them in a small white bag..

Comment

Sue called to find out that Amos is still set to fly in on Saturday. We're getting ready for him.

She's been surfing site after site learning about the breed and everybody offers contradicting information about proper care. So much, that she left me a voice mail at work today - "Call me."

When I got back to the phone and called her she said, "I'm gonna cancel this dog. It's too overwhelming, the level of care required." She was having a major anxiety attack over the whole thing.

We talked it all out and Amos is still coming. It may very well be she read TOO much stuff, and not all of it agreed, or none of it in fact. We'll work all of this out when Amos gets here. We'll see in real time, in our own house.

One of the things she found said Amos will need his private place, since he sleeps 18 hours a day while he's still a growing puppy. And it suggested this - an artful use of pegboard to make a defined space for a small dog. So it's ready, his bedroom:

Click image for larger version

Name:	Amos Bedroom.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	82.9 KB
ID:	865734

And other sites said you have to have him sleep in a crate beside your bed so he gets used to your own sleeping pattern, which in our case is so varied on weekends, he'll be psychotic trying to follow it...

So we don't know about the indoor pegboard bedroom, we'll find out. We're getting as ready as we can be. We'll figure this out. A life-commitment to a furry family member. The next one.
                              Last edited by pdub; December 19, 2012, 04:02 PM.

Comment

Don't fret! You'll learn him and he'll learn you. Somehow I just can't crate a dog - feels like I'm putting him in prison. But many do and the dogs really don't seem to mind. So there are a TON of possibilities and not because he's any particular breed. Cesar reminds us that they are (in this order) animal, dog, breed, then name (Amos, in this case). One of the hard things to remember for me is that they're ALL wolves! They have wolf DNA and wolf needs. This is good as they need to be a member of a pack and you are IT. Just remember to be the pack leader - he needs that. It's too big a job for a little pup. But he WILL melt your heart!

Dan

Comment

Working...
                                X