No announcement yet.

Look Who Showed Up

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

My wife OVER-THINKS everything - drives me nuts some times. I call it over anal izing things.
    Phil / Omaha

Comment

Originally posted by 70chevyC-10 View Post
      My wife OVER-THINKS everything - drives me nuts some times. I call it over anal izing things.
      As does mine, she's from Des Moines....

Pdub, I crated my last 3 dogs... The last 2, it worked out great! Neither chew clothes nor furniture.. There is people food they can reach if wanted but do not.. Crating helps potty train.. Plus they don't wanna mess their bed.. I leave the door open so they can get in if wanted.. Safe haven..even from me! Now with the pup 18 mo old (usually by a year old the crate can go) she does fine..

Comment

Originally posted by Deaf Bob View Post
        As does mine, she's from Des Moines....

Pdub, I crated my last 3 dogs... The last 2, it worked out great! Neither chew clothes nor furniture.. There is people food they can reach if wanted but do not.. Crating helps potty train.. Plus they don't wanna mess their bed.. I leave the door open so they can get in if wanted.. Safe haven..even from me! Now with the pup 18 mo old (usually by a year old the crate can go) she does fine..

Okay I need help on this one. You crate them while they are training and then they become a member of the family, in the room all day after that? How does crating work?
        Last edited by pdub; December 19, 2012, 06:28 PM.
        Charter member of the Turd Nuggets

Comment

Originally posted by peewee View Post
          Okay I need help on this one. You crate them while they are training and then they become a member of the family, in the room all day after that? How does crating work?
          Night time, when we have to leave, or when we will not watch them.
          As pups they need attention 24/7 except when napping..or sleeping . Let them nap and sleep in the crate. If you are there, leave the door open..if not, closed. Remember.. Everytime Amos wakens, he needs to go outside.. Everytime! Whether you feel like it or not

Comment

Our kids do that with their two min-pins......they tell them to 'go to your room', and when they go into the crate they get a treat. When they come out of their 'rooms' it's straight outside. And every time they wake up from a nap, outside. Works great!
            Last edited by oletrux4evr; December 19, 2012, 07:03 PM.
            Ed, Mary, & 'Earl'
            HRPT LongHaulers, 08, 09, 10, 11, 12, 13, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19.

Inside every old person is a young person wondering, "what the hell happened?"

The man at the top of the mountain didn't fall there. -Vince Lombardi

Comment

Like Dan said, they're all individuals, and a dog first. I'd disregard most of the "breed specific" stuff. Agree on using a crate. Makes potty training easier. A wire crate with a blanket thrown over it is a nice little cave-a safe place. Feed him in it so he associates it with a good thing. I wouldn't bother closing the door until he is comfortable with it, but he probably won't mind or notice when he's eating. After he eats-straight outside. He'll want to potty, and tell him what a good boy he is when he potties outside.

Buy the best food you can stand to pay for. Good food saves money at the vet, and quality foods are all nutrient-no filler so you don't need to feed as much-it can actually be cheaper than cheap food. I feed mine Orijen-it's the best kibble money can buy, and he'll never eat much anyway.

I know several Cavaliers and they're all sweet mellow dogs. You will have to take him to the groomers every now and then because they get pretty shaggy, especially the feet. The hair grows between their pads until they have a traction problem on smooth floors.

Congrats on your new kid!

Comment

Yep. Breed specific doesnt always work.Each dog is different.Our late Akita as a pup Id put him on the couch with me to watch football and drag racing.For the next 12 years it was his couch.Yes he would lift his head so I could sit down.He loved chili and licking the bottom of a Crown Royal shot glass.Sorry for the hijack Dub.Thinking about another dog but dont know if Im ready.Maybe a stray will find us.

Comment

PW...Glad you and UNIT have a new dog........the pain doesn't go away ...it's just shifts focus.....
                  I got great news today.......my new baby boy was born today in Hesperia,Ca....I requested a male from the litter.....only one male born.....also requested him be redbone bloodhound...guess what..he was .ALL RED.....proof that NITRO is making sure I'm taken care of.....New PUP will be named RUSTY for his red coat.....How can you not love these gentle giants.....LOL

Last edited by Chassisman; December 20, 2012, 02:53 AM.
                  The Beatings will continue until MORALE IMPROVES !!!!

Comment

Chassisman - where's the baby pics?! Get the breeder to send some. Please!

Dan

Comment

Originally posted by Chassisman View Post
                      PW...Glad you and UNIT have a new dog........the pain doesn't go away ...it's just shifts focus.....
                      I got great news today.......my new baby boy was born today in Hesperia,Ca....I requested a male from the litter.....only one male born.....also requested him be redbone bloodhound...guess what..he was .ALL RED.....proof that NITRO is making sure I'm taken care of.....New PUP will be named RUSTY for his red coat.....How can you not love these gentle giants.....LOL

https://www.google.com/search?hl=en&...K-jD2QWNtIHABg
                      I know about reds

have you ever had a bloodhound? they require pretty specific care - thus, if you have any questions please PM me

with bloodhounds, they need to be crated - the amount of destruction they can wreak is pretty amazing if bored and alone.

as for crating, our bloodhound gets persnickity if she isn't crated at 10 pm every night, with the door closed. Also, during training, we have a larger, mobile fenced area where we put puppy pads (during potty training)
                      Doing it all wrong since 1966

Comment

Crating is not cruel! Crating was the best thing we did with our large by huge lab/setter mix - who was by far the best dog I've had the pleasure of sharing a home with. That dog was soon large enough to "escape" his puppy crate - but he absolutely loved that osb square with his bean bag in it - even when he was over 110lb and could easily place his chin on the kitchen counters - he would sleep in that space. We called out "sleepy time" and down the stairs he went, one turn on the bean bag and FLOP he was down and happy and sleeping in a matter of moments.

Crates are the childs bedroom for dogs... they need a place to get away that is their safe haven. - wire cage with blanket over top is a good one - that shields their view from any goings on that might disturb them.

This will be one of the best cared for dogs on the planet - so excited for you guys!
                        There's always something new to learn.

Comment

Our new pooch was getting to be a handful..........my wife actually slept in the shop with it for 2 nights in 40 degree weather. (don't ask, long story)

I asked how long she intended to continue this? As long as it took was the answer.

So that day I brought home a crate. See dog - that's my bed buddy you are stealing here, and I'm taking her back. You get the crate.

We were both prepared for a struggle, we both were amazed as pooch walked right in, flopped down, and VISIBLY relaxed with a big sigh. To that point there was NO relaxation, period. She actually NEEDED the crate in order to unwind.

That and dog school were major good decisions that reaped so many benefits I feel like paying the instructor twice his fee. Very worthwhile.

Once she (a 6 month pup when we adopted her from a shelter) learned that she did not have to be pack leader, it was also a extremely visible change. It was like watching Atlas set the world down after holding it too long........

Congrats!
                          Last edited by STINEY; December 20, 2012, 09:59 AM.
                          Of all the paths you take in life - make sure a few of them are dirt.

Comment

Originally posted by SuperBuickGuy View Post
                            I know about reds

have you ever had a bloodhound? they require pretty specific care - thus, if you have any questions please PM me

with bloodhounds, they need to be crated - the amount of destruction they can wreak is pretty amazing if bored and alone.

as for crating, our bloodhound gets persnickity if she isn't crated at 10 pm every night, with the door closed. Also, during training, we have a larger, mobile fenced area where we put puppy pads (during potty training)
                            Ya...I had a red back in 98...Tehn we got NITRO last March....he was a Coonhound....NITRO chewed the siding off of our house !!!!....I know they get bored and do evil things.....LOL

Comment

Originally posted by DanStokes View Post
                              Chassisman - where's the baby pics?! Get the breeder to send some. Please!

Dan
                              Dan...will do...I'll PM you his info also......One of the parents is AKC reg....the other had issues with papers....so they aren't papered but they are purebreds......thus his price is really reasonable. I tried finding rescue hounds.....nothing seemed to fit for us. If your looking for bloods or coons try this rescue first.

Comment

It's Standard Poodles for me, but hounds are great, too. They REALLY need a job, though. Something to track, if possible. Standards need something to love. They ALL need a Special Purpose.

Dan

Comment

Working...
                                X