More Than You Wanted to Know About Helmet Fitting

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• More Than You Wanted to Know About Helmet Fitting

As promised, here's a thread about my recent trip to Butler Seats in Concord, NC to get my new Arai helmet. As usual, I wish I knew how to post tag lines on each photo but I'll try to put them in order and post the info in a block:

(Hopefully) first pic is of my fitter and the rack of various helmets. There are no M/C helmets as this isn't their customer base but they can order them. There are several types of helmets seen here including cart helmets and auto sports helmets. Some shells are suited for more oval heads and some for round heads (like mine). They also are in 3 sizes (small, medium, & large) depending on your head size. So there are at least 6 shells just in the type I was looking at.

The second pic is one of the cheek pads out of the helmet. Notice that it's OUT! To evaluate the fit at the crown of the head it's necessary to pull the cheek pads and feel the fit on your noggin. It should be snug but not tight and apply even pressure front to back and across the temples.

Here he's putting the cheek pads back in - they fit TIGHTLY into the helmet. A note here - the more experienced fitter, Jeannie, had to take a NASCAR driver to the airport so I had a not-as-experienced guy. He did just fine.

Test fit with the cheek pads in place. It fit well and a bit snug - this is good. Arai pads (and I suppose others) break down into 2 separate pads so the cheek area can be custom fit depending on your needs.

Here's an interesting pic comparing my Bell to the Arai. The thing I wanted to show was that the clear visors are different thicknesses. The Bell is an "M" (motorcycle) helmet and fire protection is not as significant. The thicker visor on the Arai gives a bit longer to get out of the car. The pads are also a little "chrunchy" compared to an "M" helmet as a result of the fire retardant.

One of reasons to go with a helmet with different shell sizes. Notice that the Arai is a bit smaller than the Bell - less to fit into the car. Also look at the bottom of the shell in the shoulder area. The SA helmet comes down lower as it doesn't need the shoulder clearance that you need on a bike, especially a sport bike.

Here's the Snell SA designation. Somewhere inside there' a tag as well but I couldn't find it.

The last shot is the area that's ready for a HANS mount. Someday I hope to need that!

I should warn you that this IS NOT cheap! A hand-laid, properly fit, premium helmet will take your breath away, price-wise. But ME says I'm worth it to her.

Hope you find this interesting.
    Attached Files

yes interesting.

helmet is the minimum, I still do not have one.
    the last I bought one was for snowmobiling..in the 90s. Very expensive. hardly used it, just sits in the basement, outdated.
    Previously boxer3main
    the death rate and fairy tales cannot kill the nature left behind.

Comment

Dan, did you try any of the helmets of different weight? How much did the one you purchase weigh? Can you describe the difference you felt between the oval and round helmet?

Thanks
      I'm still learning

Comment

The Arais are all pretty light, I suppose mostly because the shell is no bigger than it needs to be. They make a carbon fiber (or is it carbon/carbon?) helmet but that was WAY out of my budget. My new Arai is way lighter than the Bell but I'd have to put it on a balance to get the real weights - guessing 1/2 lb. or so. It's also a bit tighter but somehow more comfortable. I'm not sure how that works but I guess it's just a better fit.

A note on price - Arai has helmets from about $500 (that's NOT an autosports helmet) up to $8K for carbon, supplied air, graphics, HANS mounts, etc, etc. - your basic NASCAR helmet. I guess they can afford it. And I suppose if you spend 500 miles behind the wheel at speed the weight difference is REALLY important.

Hope that helps
        Dan

Comment

Working...
        X