Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• very old engines

this needed a thread of its own..
    some say it is the predecessor of all engines, even the otto cycle..
    precised valve timing on a giant that pumped 6000 gallons of water a day. Very interesting clip..helps put into perspective the dumbest inventions of the last century, and even sharing rod journals instead of self balancing..it is all in this one video.

if you think you are ahead in something unique on your own engine..odds are, you just might be.

A little secret. the otto cycle, its actually a Christian reithmann cycle

he allowed otto to have the patent under severe penalty. it seems otto did not invent the otto cycle.
    th benz crank is another peculiar history. Some could prove pilgrims in new england were churning butter with one...

the carburator..its just over 150 years old. making it work with otto cycle must have been difficult, as lot of people still say today. It was not until a tight short stroke self balanced engine that a smooth draft was truly welcome... a very long time later.

porsche was the first, subaru has a gem or two, and never put it togther completely. Corvairs...

history is awesome.

can you guess why a 130hp speedster can go for $213,000 at auction today?

the watchmakers. My own name has an old story...

talking of "man movies" missing..that would be one heck of a tale.

The tatra neck of the woods..alot of big minds with no credit, a whole other movie unseen. These things emerge, evoluton gets a blessing. we all move on.

the most interesting thing about all of mechanized history? the genius were time keepers...inventions morphed from it.
    Last edited by Barry Donovan; December 17, 2012, 11:29 PM.
    Previously boxer3main
    the death rate and fairy tales cannot kill the nature left behind.

Very cool. I'm a big student of history - enough so to understand that I don't know much. Always nice to learn a bit more. I had forgotten about Newcombe and I had no clue how the Tower Bridge worked.

Thanks, Barry!

Dan

Comment

Originally posted by boxer3main View Post

The tatra neck of the woods . . . .
      TATRA!

Certainly many mechanical systems we take for granted were developed or perfected in watchmaking and clockmaking.

Comment

Comment

looking at all of volkswagen.. tatra seems to be the anonymous grandpa..and then the trucks. still legends.

what is 1000foot pounds, powered by steam, and has a turbo?

a 1925 doble. jay lenos version of restore..excellent video.

if a radiator cap on todays cars holds back 13psi...what could it run?
          Last edited by Barry Donovan; December 18, 2012, 09:07 PM.
          Previously boxer3main
          the death rate and fairy tales cannot kill the nature left behind.

Comment

Working...
          X