Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Billet Aluminum Pulley's - Hard Anodizing for wear protection

Howdy,

I have a billet aluminum crank pulley that I have to run because of my custom oil pump setup changed my balancer offset. Its unanodized and polished alluminum. Well I'd preffer it black but the more important thing is that I've heard of some of these pulleys wearing on the belt contact area when in the unanodized condition. Is it a good idea to have them hard annodized for protection?

Thanks,
    Central TEXAS Sleeper
    USAF Physicist

ROA# 9790

Re: Billet Aluminum Pulley's - Hard Anodizing for wear protection

I've never seen one wear enough to matter, but you can hard anodize it at home no problem.

Comment

walk me through the at home process, when I worked in the materials lab we had a rather large and elaborate line set up for process control validation so I'd like to know how I could duplicate it at home.

Called a local anodizing shop and they said $100 minimum order. I guess I would need to gather all that I wanted for that kind of a min price.
      Central TEXAS Sleeper
      USAF Physicist

ROA# 9790

Comment

Anodizing is easy, the sealing process I didn't do.

To anodize take your parts and dip them in a lye bath (this would be just taking red devil lye and mixing some in warm water. Lye is NaOH and it bonds with aluminum rather quickly releasing hydrogen so ...be careful, lye burns and hydrogen is flammable hehe)

after a quick dip in the lye bath to clean them pull them out and rinse them (wear rubber gloves to protect yourself and keep oils and dirt off them). Then take aluminum mig wire and tie them well...heck, let this site tell you...:

be forewarned, they use RIT dye, and it works great, but if you don't have sealer the sun will fade the colors..fast. I did some brilliant red stuff for my CBR and it looked great but lost it's color REALLY fast with no sealer.

here's another:

and he says you can't hard anodize at home, for what you are wanting a standard anodized surface will work fine I think. When you do it proper there will be no currentflow, no bubbles when done and the surface will be noticeably harder when you try to scratch it.

Comment

as far as wear...i wore out two sets of toothed blower pulleys on my 55 so the third set I got anodized, no noticeable wear on them after lotsa miles. How much does the pulley cost? how many miles will you put on it?

My fabulous web page

"If it don't go, chrome it!" --Stroker McGurk

Comment

Pulley was $135, I plan on putting about 5-6k miles a year on the car. I've been told by the manufacturer that the major problem with the errosion is the belt picking up debris after the use of belt dressing. I'm thinking with the home setup I can also do the hose ends that I can't get in black redone though I'd really like to use the hard Type III anodizing since its said to be Methanol resistant but I'll likely use stainless or nickel fittings on the fuel system instead.
            Central TEXAS Sleeper
            USAF Physicist

ROA# 9790

Comment

Working...
            X