Psychotic late-80's ideas...rambling

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Psychotic late-80's ideas...rambling

While sitting in a hospital in Nashville waiting for Haley to finish an MRI (nothing serious) I was blasting Taproot between my ears and doing some Google searching. Found a concept car I hadn't heard of, the Dodge Decepzione. Essentially, it was an '89 IROC Daytona with AWD and the V8 from a Lamborghini Jalpa. It was an exercise in two ideas: 1) how strong Mopar's AWD system was, and 2) a test of how well Lambo and Mopar ideas could be combined. It had problems, most notably a cut down oil pan that only cleared the deck by 1.5", needing a scrape plate, and an offset 2" hoodscoop to clear four Webers. Nonwithstanding...it was a fully functional test car. And I bet it was a f*cking riot to drive.

All day I've been focused on it. And others cars that had potential that the Big Three didn't have the balls to create. Chevy, for example, put together the Feretta in '89 or so to test FWD V8 feasibility. They recently sold the car at a B-J auction, as a runner.

There's others, too. The Lumina Z34-based El Camino...

...the Ford Maya

Even the AMX series..

What I see are decent looking bodies that are throwaways now, cheap, that have potential. I know K-cars have a RWD swap patterned. I've seen L67 S/C V6 swaps into pretty much every W-body possible, as well as Northstar/Shortstar swaps. Ford...well, with the exception of Walt...

Just more ideas. It's the same argument that Brian made for the Cordoba Superbird last year: it's a car that nobody gives two shits about, so why not try to do something with it cheaply?

I'm still working on sketching up a truck with a D-series frame, J-body Imperial nose and cab, and El Camino-like shapes. I'd love to see an AWD Aurora-powered '91 Cutlass Supreme scaring the living hell out of an STi. I love Northstar swapped Fieros. And seriously...what would it take to get the Fucus (spelling is intentional) ST's EcoBoost system swapped into an '82 EXP?

Run with it, with an open mind. What would you kitbash together to make into something you'd use from the 80's-90's?
    Editor-at-Large at...well, here, of course!

"Remy-Z, you've outdone yourself again, I thought a Mirada was the icing on the cake of rodding, but this Imperial is the spread of little 99-cent candy letters spelling out "EAT ME" on top of that cake."

I had a Beretta GTZ ... 89 or 90 iirc. It was a decent DD, but I always thought it'd been much more fun w/AWD. Add a turbo and of course N2O (to spool it quicker of course) and viola ..... an all weather street terror.
    Whiskey for my men ... and beer for their horses!

Comment

That Dodge looked like a blast.......AMX/2 was way ahead of it's time.
      Last edited by Monk; December 19, 2012, 06:52 AM.
      Thom

"The object is to keep your balls on the table and knock everybody else's off..."

Comment

I wanted to build a Pontiac 6000 wagon with awd and a Turbo 6 to daily drive. Black with tinted windows to match.
        Coming at you live from the birthplace of GM,Flint,Mi. Where your car is worth more than the property it's parked on.

Comment

Dodge Stealth anyone....
          If you can leave two black stripes from the exit of one corner to the braking zone of the next, you have enough horsepower. - Mark Donohue

Comment

I've always loved the Dodge M4S that was in 'The Raith' movie from the 80's.
            Last edited by mike343sharpstick; December 19, 2012, 07:52 AM.

Comment

Given all the FWD C-R-A-P that's in most salvages, most of the "psychotic late '80s" ideas I think of are inspired by the Renault R5/Ford Festiva ShoGun (i.e. otherwise useless FWD powertrain crammed into the back of some smallish FWD econobox and stuffed with turbos) . . .

Or the Hurst Harry Oldsmoble (otherwise useless FWD powertrains crammed into each end of some FWD mess and stuffed with turbos)

Other nutjob ideas are applying Magneto's neo-Gasser idea to a cast-off FWD hulk or maybe reinterpreting the 1950s and early '60s altered competition coupe (basically an FED with an old coupe body plopped on it).
              Attached Files

Comment

Remember Rick Dobbertin built the FWD Grand Am that looked like a Pro Street car?
                That which you manifest is before you.

Comment

Comment

Originally posted by Brian Lohnes View Post
                    Remember Rick Dobbertin built the FWD Grand Am that looked like a Pro Street car?
                    American rice . . . giant back tires connected to nothing.

Comment

Comment

Scott Harvey's infamous Aspen "Cheatah" AWD rally car might inspire some retro JY madness . . . . (note the Toronado-based front drive)

Comment

Twin-engine Pikes Peak funmobile

Comment

Fiero with 3800 swap, or 80s Riv/Toro/Eldo transaxle with 400/455 power are both ideas I have wanted to do. Stuffing the Riv/Toro drivetrain 455 under a Honda CRX where the back seats is would be a hoot. Who would ever expect that? Tint the wndows and make it quiet somehow, and go stomp everything.

As it is, plans are in the works to turn a 3800 from a Buick Century into a mid engine terror machine like the Atom. Imagine less than 2000lbs with 300hp on a chassis that will go around corners like its on rails. No, I dont think right.

Comment

Squint a bit and you can see a modern reinterpretation of this using a nearly-free "two-box" FWD body . . . .

Comment

Working...
                              X