A/Fuel(Scott)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• A/Fuel(Scott)

What size are the tires that you run on the dragsters..... How tall are they??....

Depends on the ratio he wants and if the track is biting...

Comment

36X17.5 on a 16 wheel.
      Originally posted by TC
      also boost will make the cam act smaller

Comment

Originally posted by A/Fuel View Post
        36X17.5 on a 16 wheel.
        Have you ever heard of a 40" tall tire or would that even be legal to run, just wondering since I read some guy talking about them and just wanted to know if he was full of it......

Comment

I've never heard of one. I don't think it would be legal because they have a rule about gear ratios, and that would definity effect that. They probably wouldn't fit on any car I've worked on anyway because of the way the rear of frame narrows down. Sitting on the ground there is probably only an inch or two clearance there. Once the tire grows the clearence increaces. I try and get a roll out
          on a new set and think I've found gold if it's over 116"
          I'm sure they probably grow to over 40", maybe thats what he's talking about?
          Originally posted by TC

Comment

Originally posted by A/Fuel View Post
            I've never heard of one. I don't think it would be legal because they have a rule about gear ratios, and that would definity effect that. They probably wouldn't fit on any car I've worked on anyway because of the way the rear of frame narrows down. Sitting on the ground there is probably only an inch or two clearance there. Once the tire grows the clearence increaces. I try and get a roll out
            on a new set and think I've found gold if it's over 116"
            I'm sure they probably grow to over 40", maybe thats what he's talking about?
            No he was saying the tire was 40", and that they were specially made for guys running A/fuel.... A couple of the other guys in the thread said he was full of it, I was just wondering if you had ever heard of a tire that tall, but since you haven't I'm figuring the guy is full of it to.......
            Last edited by TC; December 19, 2012, 08:48 AM.

Comment

Is it a GoodYear?
              A lot of guys use top fuel tires and there are only a few spicific a/fuel tires out there (1430-discontunied) and the 1230, and a 2540?
              There arn't too many guys out there that could use a 40" tire, I would think it would kill the wheel speed and that is everything in an a/fuel car on a national event prepped track. I don't think the demand is there, certanly on the cars I work on. The market is very small and probably not worth the effort. A/fuel tech is usually trickled down from top fuel, and if they don't have it I don't look for it on an a/fuel car anytime soon.
              Originally posted by TC

Comment

don't get the fuel too cool
                happy holidays

Comment

Back in the day when I worked on a A/Fuel car, we either broke in tires for Top Fuel teams or we would scrounge tires from Kalitta's that worked real well as long as the centers weren't burned out. The team I helped were low budget but were able to get what we needed to be competitive. The guy talikng about the 40" tire was blowing er-Reindeer smoke out his A??! Like A/Fuel says, you could never load a car that much to run the gear reduction.

Comment

How long ago did you work on a/fuel cars, and who's?
                    Originally posted by TC

Comment

Working...
                    X