Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Nebraska, Tornados tonight, ain't pretty...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Nebraska, Tornados tonight, ain't pretty...

Well, this is going to be a long night...so far, Kearney and Grand Island have had Tornados, some bad damage I guess out west, have yet to hear back on the damage total as of yet...and this crap is headed to Omaha, be here in 2-3 hours by the weatherman's best guess. 9 to 12 pm is going to suck, high winds, hail, real chance of something nasty hitting here.
    Looks like I may be camping out downstairs...I knew putting all my glass for the torino under the steps was a bad idea...
    Andrew
    1972 Ford Gran Torino Sport and other FoCoMo problem children

2020...year of getting screwed by a Narcissist and learning hard lessons into trusting the wrong people on a business venture.
    2021...year of singing "99 problems but an asshole ain't one"

Moved cross country twice on a role of the dice...I left Nebraska and came back to Nebraska.

Re: Nebraska, Tornados tonight, ain't pretty...

Good luck to all the junkies who are in for it.....strap the cars to the ground or something :'(

Comment

Yes, that is the reason my Dad finished our basement. Good luck and be safe. Or, you can go up on your roof with your camera and get great vids.
      BS'er formally known as Rebeldryver

Resident Instigator

sigpic

Comment

You guys and gals hold on tight! I know what its like to be in Omaha during that kind of weather and it ain't fun.

Comment

Take care of yourselves out there!!

Comment

Fortunately, or not, I am outta town this weekend. Going to see Chad and Shaun this weekend!

Elite, I am looking at the radar images right now and it looks kinda ugly. Let us know if you guys are alright, this season has been good to Omaha people so far but it looks like tonight is going to be a rough one...

I parked my girlfriend's car at the Budget parking lot at the airport. I am really hoping it doesn't get hail damage...
            www.realtuners.com - catch the RealTuners Radio Podcast on Youtube, Facebook, iTunes, and anywhere else podcasts are distributed!

Comment

danged global warming
              I mean who ever heard of tornadoes in nebraska ?
              good luck and batten down the hatches boys

Comment

We had 90 confirned last week here in Kansas last week.Your turn.I'll take a tornado any day over earthquakes,wild fires,hurricanes etc. Nothing like standing on the porch with a beer in hand and trying to figure out which way it is going!

Comment

Watching weather on satellite last night-you guys are getting it bad!Hold on tight,be safe down there.Above all,keep a smile on your face and help as many others as needed!Godspeed junkies!

Comment

From all of us, we pray everyone is safe.

Comment

Eliteman, Everyone okay out there?

Comment

well, asside from a hell of alot of lightning strikes near me, nothing fried, the roof is still there but my neighbors lost some shingles, on the back corner of the neighborhood, damn wind gusts are unreal.
                        I watched around 12-1am, some crazy stuff, but thankfully nothing bad aside from alot of rain after 2am.
                        The wife makes fun of me, but you go through 1-2 bad storms, and you pay attention to this stuff.

This type of weather is why I sware I am going tobuild my garage addition with steel I beams supporting the roof and walls...

Here is a repost of one the news channels:

State of Emergency Declared
                        Posted: 1:47 PM May 29, 2008
                        Last Updated: 1:07 AM May 30, 2008

Photos

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Storms Hammer Nebraska

A | A | A Nebraska Governor Dave Heineman has declared a State of Emergency in response to severe storms that ripped through Nebraska Thursday night. Tornado damage is being tallied in Kearney and Aurora.

This photo of the funnel was taken by Shane Tilson in Elwood, just west of Kearney.

Authorities said late Thursday afternoon that there had been several confirmed tornado touchdowns in Kearney. Residents were urged to remain at home.

Buffalo County Emergency Manager Darren Lewis said that Copeland Hall on the University of Nebraska-Kearney was damaged.

Lewis said he believed multiple twisters hit the city. He reports one tornado struck a trailer park, and 44 train cars derailed along Highway 30.

Lewis described the situation as "hugely dangerous."

There are reports of downed trees and power lines.

Nebraska Public Power District spokesman Mark Becker says 12,000 customers were without power in the city Thursday evening. He said numerous power lines were down in the northwest, northeast and southeast parts of Kearney, and would remain so until a second wave of storms passed. Crews were on standby, "waiting for a little safer conditions," he said.

There was more storm damage in Aurora. Interstate 80 was shut down between Aurora and York due to a power transmission line across the road. That power line was reportedly wrapped around a truck.

Some Aurora businesses sustained heavy damage and at least one house was partially destroyed when the storm struck the southern outskirts of the town. The heart of Aurora appeared mostly untouched.

Governor Heineman said, “Our state Emergency Operations Center has been activated and initial reports indicate some severe damage as a result of this evening’s storms. We won’t know the full extent of the damage until tomorrow, however it appears that Kearney was hardest hit and that is where our assistance will be focused overnight. A secondary operations center is being established in the area to coordinate with local emergency management and first responders.”

The governor plans to tour the affected areas on Friday.

An emergency declaration allows access to state and federal resources. The Nebraska National Guard is on standby and is prepared to respond as necessary.

The Nebraska Emergency Management Agency (NEMA) will continue to monitor additional storm activity throughout the night. Early reports indicate that there are several dozen homes damaged in and around Kearney, and several more that sustained damage in the Aurora area.

State officials have been in contact with federal emergency managers and will be working with local officials to survey damage.

The Omaha area was under a tornado watch for much of the evening but the threat here diminished as the evening wore on.

Andrew

2020...year of getting screwed by a Narcissist and learning hard lessons into trusting the wrong people on a business venture.

Moved cross country twice on a role of the dice...I left Nebraska and came back to Nebraska.

Comment

When my uncle built the house for my cousin and her family in Liberty, MO he included what is basically a bunker of reinforced concrete in the basement for such days. I think he called it a safe room. I think the fact it is now full of the kids toys kinda defeats the purpose.
                          BS'er formally known as Rebeldryver

Resident Instigator

sigpic

Comment

Stay safe and take care of you and your family....you guys are in my thoughts n prayers.
                            Whiskey for my men ... and beer for their horses!

Comment

Re: Nebraska, Tornados tonight, ain't pretty...Omaha got hit early am today

>
                              These fricken storms, I am getting pretty irritated about all the storms.
                              Luckily, I did not suffer any damage last night, but my mom's house was like 6 blocks south of where the torinado hit Omaha.
                              It seemed to skip around, hitting sections of houses, but a 5-6 block area is pretty well toasted in the area called Millard.
                              Seen some messed up stuff on the news, some stuff. Two days ago, we had an outbreak of 6-7 tornados along a stretch around Lincoln, the town of Ceresco got hit with two tornados. I just don't get this freaky weather at times.
                              I thought I had problems, but counting my blessing even if right now, I am not going to be able to take the Torino to powertour event in Lincoln...I at least am going to be able to take the daily driver to have some fun.

Just thinking about the people on powertour, and got some good news, weather is clearing up, and we are going to have sun for the next 2-3 days, Tuesday is looking to be safe and storm free thankfully!

I'll try to post some pics of the lincoln stop for you guys.

Andy

Andrew

Comment

Working...
                              X