Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Newbies Introduce Yourself Here .. Welcome !

Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• My name is Clark and I am from Tulsa OK, I have a 68 Barracuda Formula S that is setup as a street/strip car. Its an original 340 car but currently has a 360 thats fixing to go back in after a recent intake valve problem(the head should be ON the stem correct?). I also have a 4" crank and a 340 block that will eventually come together as a 418".

I always lurk around on here around drag week time so I decided I had better sign up. After watching drag week videos every year and attending the track day in Tulsa I decided its something I for sure want to do in 2012.
    Last edited by BlueCuda340; September 21, 2011, 08:12 PM.
    1968 Plymouth Barracuda Formula S 340 with a 360
    1997 Jeep Cherokee off road toy/driver. lifted, lockers, stroked 4.0

Comment

• Thanks Phil, also welcome to the board Clark.

Comment

• another newb here. took along time to get approved, i thought maybe i smelled bad. but alas here i am. i'm a die hard mustang guy or most any fords. i guess i had been living under a rock as i didn't know the b/s existed until i ran across an article that brian had written that included my dad's old pro stock mustang.

here's a most of my pony stable...

thanx for letting me in the pool, i'll try not to pee in it.

Comment

• Welcome rastiss. Nice herd you have there...
          Neal

Drag Week 2010, 2011, 2012, 2013

Comment

• EconoCarl is now a bangshifter (even with a three on the tree!)

Yet another newbie intro! The plan is to do our first Power Tour next year and I joined here to get as much info as we can. Thanks for having me, and I'll try to be on my best behavior!
            Last edited by EconoCarl; September 28, 2011, 03:56 PM. Reason: trying to figure out why my sig is so small!
            EconoCarl
            Make Mine Econoline
            Our '66 Econoline

Comment

• Welcome to all the new dudes!
              That which you manifest is before you.

Comment

• welcome econocarl, im gunna be on the lookout for your van since i live not to far from you
                Charles W - BS Photographer at large

Comment

• Hi All!!
                  Billy Gebhart,
                  Division 7 NHRA Super Street is my prefered playground, when I can afford it. But DragWeek is a blast also. When all the Mopars are broke, I've been known to lace up a pair of Brooks and haul my 260 lb. carcass out for some real road pounding, anything from 5k races to Marathons, to 24 Hr. how far can you go deals!
                  I can usually be found haunting Moparts, but I think this website looks like a fun place to hang out as well.

Comment

• Welcome aboard Billy.
                    "Somewhere the zebra is dancing". Garth Stein's The art of racing in the rain.

Matt

Comment

• Marvin here, Giz or Gizmo works.
                      From metro St Louis area.

Did the last four legs of the Power Tour last year and I'm hooked. Next year I will do my first long haul .

My car for the tour is a highly modified 2006 Cadillac XLR-V called ELWOOD (Long story for another post). Details here. The cars are no longer made but are so unique many have never seen one.

I'll be promoting the Power Tour to all my XLR compatriots and already have two others ready to go. My Power Tour goals: Get at least half dozen cars on the tour, reintroduce the world to this beautiful automobile and try to convince Cadillac to create a new production of the line.

I track my car, but plan to meet Kieth in Wilmington at least once next year to really see what its got up top.
                      Last edited by GizmoQ; October 22, 2011, 11:20 AM.
                      ELWOOD - "Corvette in a Tuxedo ... with a Jet Pack"

PT 2011, 2012, 2013, 2015

Comment

• Hey all. My name is Mark and I've been a looky lou for quite a while. Thought I'd jump in and introduce myself. I'm retired originally from WI just outside Milwaukee (Elkhorn WI). Now I'm 3 years down in Glendale (Phoenix) AZ. Had a '73 Trans Am that I built up over the years and finaly ended with a turbocharged 455 (462) Pontiac with 1065 HP at the flywheel @ 15 psi. On eday I got a call form a gentleman in Delaware that wanted to buy the TA. I had not intended to sell it but he made me a deal I could not refuse. So it is now in Delaware. This is several pages I started on http://www.americantorque.com/page/0/62/ about the building of the TA over several years. The new owner has taken over the pages.
                        I am now building a 1963 Pontiac Catalina. Found a completely rust free almost showroom body (engine was out and gone) down here and started a build that I have always wanted to do. Don't laugh now. I'm building a one of none street/strip Gasser/Street Freak.

The pics show a single turbo and single turbo header system but I have since traded the single 75MM Borg/Warner Turbo for twin Turbonetics 76MM that will go on the car instead. I have a lot to do before it gets on the road. Mark L

Comment

• As far as the motor goes. I'm using a 1960 389 block (much stronger than later blocks) bored .090 over and running a 3.75 stroke--406. 4 Bolt splayed caps,

steel rods that are drilled through the block decks and extend down against the bottom of the water jacket to help keep the decks from flexing

forged Ohio Crankshaft, GRP aluminum rods, block filled to the water pump holes, Ross lightweight 20cc dished pistons, along with the KRE aluminum D-Port 325 CFM heads will make a 9 to 1 compression. Roller solid cam cut for boost. 251/241 @ .050 with net lift of .650 on a 116 LCL, and a 4/7 swap. Less exhaust duration to close the valve a little sooner for less overlap. Right now I have a built CSU 750 blow thru Holley but now that I have the twin 76's, that 750 will become a restriction. So I plan to sell it and probably go EFI. If not EFI then I will look for an 850 or larger blow thru. I have a Hilborn fuel pump off of a local famous nitro fuel dragster that ran out of Lopers Speed Shop down here. I originally intended to use is as a false fuel pump and just run the bypass fuel thru it so it looked like it was part of the fuel supply system, but once I found a pump drive adaptor to fit the Pontiac, my plan changed to make the pump actually become my fuel pump. If it can supply enough fuel for a 3000 HP fueler it is sure going to move enough for my engine. Here you can see it mounted on my front cover.

Built 9 inch ford rearend, set up for ladder bars with a back brace and all the brackets. Because of the size of the car I had to take it in to get "lengthened" to make it work. The guy thought I was kidding when I asked t get lengthened. Still have to make the bars and build a center section once I decide on the axle size.
                          I also cut out the original rear frame rails over the axle and back halfed it-partially. I added additional rails inside the original outside rails from the front firewall to the original trailing arm front brackets. Then built rails over the axle to tie it all together. So now I have enough clearence to run the 16.5X31.5X15 ET Streets on 15X15 inch rims in the back.
                          This is the rear axle and the tires/rims mocked up together.

I have a TH400 to build or I have a 4L80E that I can build. The cost on the 4L80 is way more than the TH400 but I'd really like to have the OD. I'll see as I go along if I can swing the extra cost.
                          Just playing around with keeping the bench seat so I bought a couple of Indian blankets and totally stripped down the seat and rebuilt it using the Indian blankets for covers. You can see how far the seat is moved back in this pic.

And the new steering column support coming thru the dash.

So again I have a long ways to go. But I'm happy with the work and the configuration so far.
                          The engine is being built down in Tucson and it is close to being done. I normally assemble my own motors but this time, I want it done by a true professional since it is going to be under a lot more stress and I don't want to do or miss something that could affect it's reliability. With the heads, cam, twin turbos, and a bigger carb or a full EFI, I am shooting for 1500 HP or more. We will see if I can pull that off. Like I said, my TA 455 (462), built completely in my garage pulled 886.8 RWHP at 15 psi on 91 octane pump gas. Although smaller by 53 cubes, with all of the better parts and induction flow, this 406 should out power it by a big margin. And I'd like to built th einduction to run E85 to get the higher octane protection. Again we will see. Thanks for letting me spill my guts here guys. Mark L

Comment

• Sweet mother of Pontiac awesome!
                            That which you manifest is before you.

Comment

• Greetings from Ventura Ca...

Comment

• Hey guys and thanks for the welcome. I've got a full buid thread at the Pontiac Zone forum if you're up for a lot of reading.

Pontiac, pontiac GTO, gto, GTO Parts, Lemans, lemans, muscle car parts, restoration, Firebird, Firebirds, Trans am, transam, T/A, Esprit, Bonneville, bonneville, Catalina, catalina, GP, Grand Prix, GP, classic cars, f-body, vintage, weatherstrip, emblem, catalog, A body, X body, classic cars, reproduction, restore, gtoaa, POCI, seals, formula, T-37, tempest, chieftan, ventura, executive, brougham, star chief, doors, hoods, fenders, quarter panels, grills, bumper, bezels, radiators, hinges, hub caps, lenses, drums, dash pads, Air conditioning, pulleys, carburetor, exhaust manifolds, trunk, deck lid, glass, latches, switches, wipers, windshield, radio, seats, 1955, 1956, 1957, 1958, 1959, 1960, 1961, 1962, 1963, 1964, 1965, 1966, 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1971, 1972, 1973, 1974, 1975, 1976, 1977, 1978, 1979, 1980, 1981

I've got a ways to go but I just made an offer on an early 3 speed manual trans for the car. Starting around late '64 GM started getting HD 3 speeds from Dearborn transmissions, because the GM lighter trans were failing. These are Ford toploader 3 speeds. They use a GM input shaft but otherwise a Ford Dearborn trans, really built tough and take a lot of HP. I should in all honesty go with a built TH400 or 4l80E because the turbo likes to push against the converter to spool up on the line. But I really would like to row a manual, and the Dearborn trans should be strong enough to take it. Plus the wide ratios of the 3 speed give the turbo something to pull against while going thru the gears. I think it's kind of cool having the base engine being a '60 block and then running an old 3 speed too. Anywho, I've come to a point where my finances are short so the build will be going slow from here on out. I can keep the updates coming as I go if you guys are interested. Mark L

Comment

Working...
                                X