Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Newbies Introduce Yourself Here .. Welcome !

Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Newbies Introduce Yourself Here! Welcome!

Rick Mann here I race a 99 corvette at Bandimere Speedway every weekend I drive it to the races, I race it, and then I drive it home. My idea of a show and go car. I generally run in the low 11's at Bandimere and once in a while I actually win a race. My friend
    Bamfster has introduced me to this forum, I am much better at driving cars than I am at blogging. At anyrate I am a car guy and I really enjoy the company of others who love cars.
    By the way I live in Littleton Colorado and my "hood" is filled with car guys. I was looking at the pic's of the Woodward Cruise and I have to say that if you like Cruise In's you really need to see the Golden Colorado Cruise In the first Saturday of every summer month on on into October, there are literally miles of cars and car watchers. It is sensory overload for a car junkie.

Comment

Brandon here from Honolulu, 4 years as a mechanic, enjoy racing, own a 95 z-28 and happy to finally become an official member of bangshift, long time reader new subscriber

Comment

Welcome Steve, Rick and Brandon ... to the best car site on the planet !!
        ;D

Comment

Steve, Rick, Brandon, et al...good to have you with us. This place is about sharing so we're all looking forward to your future posts and pics
          Michael from Hampton Roads

Comment

Dudes!

Thanks for joining up!!!

Glad to have you!

Brian
            That which you manifest is before you.

Comment

Hi....

I broke the 1st commandment of proper board manners..... I didn't post in the newbie section first. Duh.

Soon-to-be 42yr-old living out in the hills about 15 miles North of Lexington, KY. Wife, two sons (9 and 3), cat, and a half Great Dane/ half lab horse-looking thing we call Ace.

Grew up in Blackwell, OK (formerly a farming/oil town just south of the KS border on I-35). Join AF and went to see if I could make something of myself.

Was in a car club as a teen and helped wrench on a few things as I was being tutored by a family friend. For some dumb reason I didn't want to learn from my dad. He'd raced in the old days with a stripped-down '39 Plymouth running a buick straight-8. They used a wheel-cylinder hone to make the lifter pockets larger (he can't remember what lifter they used though), ran an Isky cam, and all that Jazz. He remembers setting a record once, but can't remember for what class and can't recall the name of the track (it would have to be somewhere between Douglas, WY and Denver, CO.

I cruised main st/Doolin Ave as everyone did in those days. We had the local hero cars that everyone knew and us gearhead kids drooled after. We stopped at Sonic for a cherry-<insert anything here> drink.

Spent 7 yrs in Alabama between Maxwell and Gunter AFB. Ran at the now closed Capitol City Dragway. They always talked about opening up a new 1/4mi track, but it didn't get off the ground until the year I left. I used to spend a LOT of time at FAST and SECO in Montgomery.

Cross-trained and got reassigned to Awful Offutt and discovered cars can turn, as well as, accelerate in a straight line for 660 or 1320 ft. The woomah culture of the NRSCCA I think can be attributed directly to Gen Curtis LeMay....having the stones to shut down an active flight-line during the Cold War...on a SAC base.....to run sports cars.

Left the AF and as I was taking job offers from around the country and overseas....I chose the one that paid the least because I figured I'd fit in around kentucky, liked the weather, country-side, and just about everything else.

I've race at:
              Capitol City Dragway, AL
              Selma Dragway, AL (it was also the best excuse to get Sonic because that was the closest one)
              Atmore Raceway, AL
              Gulfport Dragway (I think this is closed now)
              Scribner, NE (Nebraska Motorplex I think)
              Aksarben, Omaha (solo II)
              Offutt AFB (STRATCOM parking lot....woohoo...concrete)
              Couple other sites in the Omaha area for nrscca
              National Trails
              Mountain Parkway Motorplex (mpdragway now)
              Bluegrass Dragway (now closed on Friday nights....thanks economy)
              Beech Bend
              And ran at several sites around KY doing scca solo II stuff

few trophies. Nothing much to brag about. Only two I care to mention and only one for winning. Came in runner up at a bracket race at selma and though I hadn't won an event I'd made it to the semis a lot. The other guy in the finals came to me and asked me if I wanted to 'split'. No one had ever considered me good enough to do it before then. I red-lit and ran dead-on with a 0 and I felt good about it. It was a crappy day, cold, I hadn't really wanted to go, my time shots were junk, I dialed soft, and it all worked out. Spent the dough on Sonic and gas.
              The second was a bracket win at Beech Bend in a club event. One round I had a .002 light. I'd cut a perfect .000 in time trials before, but I rarely went better than a .02 in competition. My opponent....went red. I wasted it, but it still felt good.

I'm a fan of old and some new. We (my father-in-law and I) have a racecar in his shop (evil, twin, black '94 firebird as well). It's been flying jackstands now for 4 years. Kids, work, cancer (both of us) and all that have really kept us from doing much.

Cars that mattered:
              72 Chevelle 2dr -lemans blue 350 turbo-fire...165hp....
              66 Chev C-10 292,3sp then olds 350/350
              65 ElCamino 327/M20, cragars.....pimp orange is what we called it....
              '48 binder KB-3 - friend's project I worked on and owned for a while. Street Rod, camaro subframe...all that.
              '73 Camaro - gave to friend above when I went into the AF. Figured I owed him.
              '76 Monza 350/350 - wished I could find one like it.
              '72 Chev C-10. Well-built 350/350. Stolen, stripped and burned - professional job.
              '71 ElCamino (yeah...I have a thing for them. My wife doesn't). 350/350. Miss it.
              '94 S10 ext cab. Sold to my brother-in-law...he trashed it...sold to my father-in-law....who has now given it to me. My lowered, bolt-on, tuned machine I learned to autocross with. Have pics of it carrying a rear wheel on a sweeping 180.
              '94 Formula firebird. The poopmobile. She's tired. Over 210,000mi (stock long-block too) of daily-drivin', autocrossin', drag racin', and burnout competitions. Got me a daily driver in May and she has sat ever since and we just got started on refurb the other day. I'll try to keep it driveable as much as possib le because it is my sanity machine.

Been a car guy since I was old enough to play with hotwheels. Had mag subscriptions from my tween years on. Sold most of the collection in 1995 when I PCS'd (that's military move for you that don't know). Always had HR and CC. I still have some of my old stuff like SSDI, BRUSA/DRUSA, and rags like that.

Who am I fan of.....? Anyone that tries to do more with less....and car folks who are genuine car folks.

Jeff SMith comes to mind as one of my favorite long-timers. He's a chevelle guy and to me, that's about the perfect all-around platform. Someone stole my sister's old '65 4dr off the farm that she'd sold me years ago and I'd planned to build one day.

I believe DF bleeds 20w-50 and is aimlesly wandering the Earth looking for gearhead nirvana. I can't keep up, but his columns are historically insightful.

Gray Baskerville. Nuff said.

Steve Reyes. Been looking at his awesome photos since I could open a car rag.

Smokey. Thinker.....fabricator....racer.

There's many more, but these are what is on my mind right now.

Oh...I forgot...when I write...brevity is not one of my finer attributes.

Shame we can't talk politics or religon.....

Comment

Welcome to the forum Doug, it looks like you will fit in here just fine.
                :D

Originally posted by dougg01
                Shame we can't talk politics or religon.....
                There are plenty of sites that you can discuss those two specific topics at, but you are correct, this is not one of them.
                Enjoy the fun ... Life is Good !!
                ;)

Comment

• Re: Short Intro's

Hello

I am new to this forums I am Jim Demmitt Jr, I am an NHRA Top Sportsman driver been in drag racing all my life if you look though my web page in my signuture you will see my darg racing history. I now restoring a Boss 429 1969 Mustang and have a few muscle cars. Thanks for letting me be a part of your BangShift.com familt

Comment

Jim and Doug, thanks for joining in the fun and adding to the population at our little piece of the interwebs. You guys have the history and experience to speak with authority!

Thanks for becoming part of the crew!

Brian
                    That which you manifest is before you.

Comment

Mike Mckin, Nashville Tenessee, (or at least during the day) 31 years young and holding. I come from a long line of shadetree mechanics, (or wherever the thing just happenened to break down.) Graduated from N.A.D.C. three years ago and have been working for a German rock crusher manufacturer since then. I travel the majority of my time, so my projects are collecting a little dust lately. As of right now, I am commuting in a 1st gen Eclipse GS (for the 33 m.p.g.) and a 98 Silverado, but I am keeping my eyes peeled during my travels for a doner car for the 393 stroker 351W i'm putting together at the moment. I prefer a racing blue oval, but have had many chevies and a sweet 76 Gremlin X with a 401 in it and a barge of a Fury with the 440 6 pack. The highlight of my line of vehicle past was a 92 Mustang Saleen with a 401 stroker (517 rwhp.) I am shooting for another version of this for my next project. (The Tennessee highway patrol ended up with my last one.)
                      when in doubt,.. throttle out

Comment

Welcome aboard Mike. Tell us the story behind the TSP getting your Saleen.
                        "Somewhere the zebra is dancing". Garth Stein's The art of racing in the rain.

Matt

Comment

im not the newbie but my dad is this is his profile
                          evan.

Comment

Nice of you to set-up your Dad's profile Evan.
                            Welcome to the forum TunaBoat !!
                            ;D

Comment

The story of the Saleen.... Hmmm, the way it happened was this, I bought the love of my life (yes, it was a she, and she was a car.) at the auto auction in Nashville. She was a drug seisure from the highway patrol. I fired it up and she sounded soooo mean. No air conditioner, no radio, but it had a six point cage, the exhaust was stainless Borla, and it was a notchback with the whaletail and the Saleen stripes down the hood and side. SEXXXY! There was only one small problem. She was knocking. I figured what the hell, I can fix this, I had to have her. $4100 later, I actaually drove it home, then drove it around for about a month before the knocking got really bad.

I parked it until I could save up enough and bought a stroked out 351 from a local shop that the customer had never paid for, so within three days, I had three speeding tickets and a wreckless driving arrest.

I straightened up for almost two months before I got into a little bit of a race with some of the Sherriff's officers in Rutherford county, Bedford county and finally ending up in the median of I-40 in Davidson county with a very hot car and absolutely no brakes. ( they tend to burn out very quickly when used at 140 mph.)

Anyway, long story short, there were 11 counts of evading arrest and several other lesser charges. But the thing about it is that the car came from a police seisure, and it went to a police seisure. Ahh the joys of being a young and dumb teenager!
                              when in doubt,.. throttle out

Comment

Smack, Sounds like you'll fit right in here. Welcome aboard!!!!!
                                Jeremy George in Windsor NY

Comment

Working...
                                X