Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Newbies Introduce Yourself Here .. Welcome !

Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Short Intro's

Jus love cars...
    Life is tuff enuff...my garage is my place to go.

Comment

Time for me to check in....

My name is Millard Fillmore. Oops - that's my OTHER name. As you can tell from my sign-in- I'm really Dan Stokes. I'm 60, and have been around cars my whole life - my first memory is "helping" a neighbor do a brake job when I was 5.

I worked 31+ years for the US Government EPA as a Mechanical Engineering Technician, running cars and engines on dynos, but I know next to nothing about tuning. But a LOT about dynos and emissions stuff, especially on Diesels. I also wrote a lot of stuff for the EPA, and had a couple of articles published in Hot Rod back in the Ro McGonegal days.

My claim to fame is that a friend and I took the initiative and arranged to run emissions testing on the Crusher Camaro at the EPA. The event was reported in the mag, along with the fact that the EPA Big Cheese from DC(Margo Oge) drove the car to the Detroit airport. It was my butt in the other seat. People at the Ann Arbor lab did NOT like that we reached out to the performance community, and the careers of both of us came to a screeching halt (no more good gigs but I had too much seniority for them to can me), but it was worth it.

I retired to Wilmington, NC from Ann Arbor, MI following a heart attack. I can do most anything I want to, but do have to watch it. Still, I got into Land Speed Racing since moving here, and am putting together a '78 Camaro with a 250 six. I finished #6 in points this year without really going for points. I also got sucked into being the Volunteer Coordinator for the ECTA, so if any of you would like to work a race, contact me thru the ECTA website <ecta-lsr.com>.

I always go for the weird stuff, like a Vega with a 215 aluminum Buick, a '80 Chevy PU with a 455 Buick, etc, etc. I also have a '88 Mustang LX convert w/'96 5.8l that I need to sell, although I really don't want to.

I've gotten to know Keith and Tonya well, and they are really good folks. Joe and Donna are OK, too. Have met David and liked him, and am eager to meet Chad and Mrs. Chad.

I'm a writer, and could go on forever, but I'd better stop here
      Dan

Comment

Greetings and stuff,

Mike here from Omaha, Nebraska... I am a late bloomer when it comes to cars, had been doing industrial electronics and telecommunication's stuff for almost 30 years, when I started hanging out with Diesel Geek, I am hooked now, and earlier this year I purchased the first car that I didn't consider seating capacity a priority (have 5 kids) I bought a 1986 SVO from Jon Huber in St. Louis. I have been involved with Landspeed events at Bonneville and Maxton with the " Hart Racing" crew, did a lot of work on that Studebaker.... what a blast.... anyway greetings!!!

mike

Comment

Hi, I'm John Ciancitto from Des Moines, Iowa have been a car junkie since the age of 15. Over 50 now and still having a blast! Got into open road racing (nevada) and also LSR racing Maxton this year. I am a machinist and metal fabricator by trade and dig building cars. I had the opportunity of meeting Keith Turk at maxton (thanks for the help!) great bunch of people! David F, thanks for the vote!!! HR home built.... Current car 1965 rambler 169.09 at maxton.... current build porche 944 LSR. I'm usually at all the forums reading. I'm a bit timid and this is the first forum I've had the courage to participate in, its the people involved in this site that inspired me!!!

Comment

Hello All,

My name is Randal Burns, I'll be 27 soon. I'm from Fontana, CA but now reside in middle of no where Ely, NV (I'm a regular track volunteer for the May and September Silver State Highway Challenges). My first car was my '77 Skylark with the 231 odd-fire. It had a few collapsed lifters and my Dad the fleet mechanic thought it best he sit in a lawn chair with a beer directing 15year old me on what to do to replace them. Shortly after the engine blew the head gaskets so with in a year I tore to top end of the engine apart twice! And that was the beginning of my automotive intrigue. While going to college I worked at a GM dealer for a few years, then a six month stint at a Ford dealer, then a three year stint selling Autoparts. Between work and my cars I ran across a lot of problems and learned how to diagnose and solve them. I'm now a Mine Geologist and finacially recovering enough from buying a home last year and a '07 motorcycle last spring to start moving forward with my car projects.

Car wise, around the time I was 18-19 I started looking for another car, which I found a run down, but rust free '69 Pontiac Firebird 400. As a starving college student I did my best to fix up this car. Trim parts from ebay, 700r4 trans R&R'ed by the Trans Guy at the GM dealership, sanded and primered the body and sent it in for a nice Metallic Blue paint job. All to have it end by some unlicensed/uninsured SOB running a red light and my Firebird broadsiding a 3/4 Dodge at 40 mph (back to driving the ol' 231 Skylark :-[) After two years fighting with insurance, the guy who ran the light and looking for a solid year for another '69 Firebird in the price range I had to work with I gave up on the Firebird and Purchased the '72 Buick Centurion with a Blown Engine. Funny thing, the Guy was asking Five Grand for it in the ad, I called him up and he tells me he just blew the engine that day, he'll take $2500! I was ready to offer as much as $4,000, I already had a Buick 455 engine in the machine shop (intended for the Skylark) so after a once over the car I bought it and trailered it from San Diego to Fontana, swapped the engine out in a week and have a good car since (except it blew a head gasket last sunday after 40,000+ miles , changed them out two days ago, but that's another story) While driving the Centurion the Skylark got a 200r4 transplant for mileage, now that same 200r4 I intend to beef up and rebuild for the Centurion. A year ago September I bought a clean '67 Ford Thunderbird 4 door with the 428 and Suicide Doors. I wanted one since I ran across one in the junkyard once and was amazed by it. It has all the bells and whistles, and I have just about everyone of them working. Vacuum everything, headlight doors, door locks, trunk release, swing away steering(steering wheel automatically swing up and to the right when the driver's door is opened while in Park), rear package tray vent door. It has the sequential blinkers, cruise control, power driver's seat, power windows, A/C (still working on that one, but it's snow season). I'm working on getting the rolling door locks working and the trunk release. The Skylark finally got the 455 it was destined for (the rebuilt Centurion engine) and a TKO-600 transmission, but has had a few hiccups that I am trying to sort out with the car being 500 miles from home just has a lot of time inbetween working on's. :-[ I'm slowly making my way around the internet, glad to help when I can.
            Escaped on a technicality.

Comment

Rich Hoag and Hello from Dallas/Fort Worth Texas lived here since '79 took the long way here from Chicago(Go Bears)land (moved to Durango Co for 2 years first) pretty much a Chevy guy- and went south to Pontiac Even had a ford 429SCJ Torino for several years(2tnsfn)but have stayed GM ever since , i am a Power Tour Junkie as i enjoy driving my car not looking at it parked - it gets me out of the house for a week+ and its neet to see that other people are addicted worse than I good to meet Y'all
              Go Cowboys!
              Rich -DFW area 1999 2000 HRPT Participent 2001 2003 2004 2005 2006 2007 2008 2009 2012 2013 2014 2015 HRPT Long Hauler

Comment

Joel from Northern Va. We have 4 boys - One graduates college, one headed to the Air Force, 2 little ones at home. Work too many hours a week, Coach Little league football and baseball. Oh and we are working on a race car - uh er Truck - at least that is what is classed as. Front wheel drive and only 4 cyl (makes some decent power). We have run at Maxton - till the computer blew this year. Back at Maxton in the spring with a new computer (it had better hold up or Kieth is in trouble for pointing me in the direction of these guys). ;D

Comment

My name is David, david stole my car idea, and I have the fastest car evvvarrr. that is all.

Comment

Name is Chad Labno running a 1980 Camaro in C/CGALT
                    class at Maxton. First ran there in 2000 (Corvette) and have
                    been back at least once a year since. Planning on the May
                    2008 meet with a new engine and some chassis and running
                    gear upgrades.
                    chad786

Comment

Brad Blocker...Oswego,Il. been racing and wrenching on most anything with wheels and an engine for 30 years or so.

Love building and fab. more than the actual results.Wiring is my speciality,done several completes on street rods and off-road stuff(Jeeps)

Currently working on '35 chevy rod with my Dad.His car ,garage,money my time.Also trying to get my Buick G.N. sorted out and living up to it's full potential,most challenging tune I've ever dealt with.

Did drag week '06 and '07 and some of you may know me as the Buick guy that blew both head gaskets on way to Union Grove.I had one head on and wasn't going to get the other one on before the deadline to make run..so...I ran with only one head on the car ,thats right .One on ,one completely off !Use your imaginatian and if you want info just ask.Did cut light and got car together to finish the rest of the week.Thanks to Keith T.(words of encouragement)and my Dad(driving 3 hours one way to bring me parts...he gets it!)

...next...

Comment

Hello
                        My name is Tom Henderson and I live in Ontario Canada. I am 48 and I have been a tool and die maker for about25 yrs
                        I am building a 63 vette as a street/strip car. I had hoped to have it out this past summer for a few passes anyway, but time and money held that off.....oh well, next year I guess
                        Tom

Comment

Jay Brown, 49, from Rogers, Minnesota. I have a degree in electrical engineering and was booted upstairs to management a while back, but I still get to design integrated circuits as part of my professional life, which is really fun. Also helps pay for the car obsession, which started when I graduated high school in 1976 with a 67 Mustang fastback. That quickly gave way to a 68 Shelby convertible with a 428CJ. I still have the Shelby, and have been hooked on FE Fords ever since.

I'm a tool junkie, and my 7500 square foot garage includes all the normal mechanic stuff plus a mill and a lathe, MIG and TIG welders, a lift, a paint booth, and a Superflow 901 dyno. Flow bench coming soon...

Just finished working on a 390 FE buildup for Car Craft that I hope they will print some time in the next few months, and in additon have a supercharged 490" FE in my 69 Mach 1 (NA/BB winner at Drag Week 2005, Hot Rod Top Ten in 2006), five other FEs in various states of completion around the garage (510" SOHC, 545" high riser, 511" medium riser, 428 Cobra Jet, and 492" medium riser), along with a couple more old Mustangs and a 69 Galaxie to put the FEs in, plus a 2005 Ford GT (DD 12.0 winner at Drag Week 2006).

Fortunately my physician wife and two great kids (8 and 10) leave me enough time to bury myself in the garage projects now and then. I am one lucky SOB...

Comment

Greetings from beautiful Colorado! I'm Linda, he's Ken we're both mid-50's and have 3 boys w/5 grandkids. Ken's a commercial HVAC tech and I manage an insurance office. We've both been car junkies for years before meeting each other 11 years ago. We're buying a house on the outskirts of Greeley with a 4 car garage and a 1400 sq. ft. shop. It won't take long to fill it up! ;D Our toys are a 1957 Chevy wagon (still in Clovis, NM), an 83 Z28 Camaro (figuring out what the drivetrain will be), and a 70 Chevelle. The Chevelle was Car Craft's Cheap Street Chevelle from 1994 to 2004. Hot Rod magazine changed it some and gave it away on the 2004 Power Tour. Ken was the lucky winner and it's been in our garage since. Thanks to DF and Chad for starting this site, best wishes!

Cheaps 8)

Comment

Okay all,

I know there are some of you that know more about me than you probably should, but for those that don't, here is the quick and dirt.

My name is Chad Reynolds, and I grew up in Northern California in a serious Chevy drag racing family. I have had everything from minitrucks (David hates that), lifted trucks, drag cars, hot rods, etc. and enjoy all aspects of our hobby and sport. My current flock consists of Rusty, my '56 Chevy Wagon, my '69 Camaro Convertible which was my first car, a '72 Nova backhalf drag car, '92 Chevy Pickup, '68 Camaro, and a Caprice chassis or two.

As with many of you, I was once a desk jockey working for a living which took me to Dallas where all of my family now lives. After several successful years there, I found out I hated what I was doing and wanted to open my own fledgling hot rod business. I did, it was great, it sucked, it was great, it got me here. I made no money at it, hit all the cool shows and events I could and somehow in 2005 got noticed for my now famous '56 wagon. After much attention and a call from Rob Kinnan and DF, the car ended up featured in the Oct '05 issue of Hot Rod. My dreams had come true!!! Daphne, my girlfriend, and I went to the first Drag Week and after many antics, now immortalized on 1320video.com the Hot Rod staff thought I would somehow be a good addition to the Power Tour family. I've announced for Power Tour, Car Craft Summernats, and PHR's Engine Masters Challenge for the last few years, and have enjoyed it thoroughly.

During all these adventures I have been fortunate enough to make great friends along the way such as DF, Rob, Turk, Fowler, Rock, Dustin, Kyle, Scott, etc... The list is too long and too great to finish, but you know who you are. Then, Scott "Diesel Geek" Clark offered me a job in California that I just couldn't refuse and so here I am in sunny SoCal. After many changes in the job over the last 6 months, lots of swap meet trips with David and Rob, too many sleepless nights working on Hot Rod projects, and more fun than I can stand, I got the best call of my life. It went something like this:

DF: "So what are you going to do now that things have changed at your current gig?" Me: "Keep doing my job and collecting a paycheck until something amazing comes along." DF: "We need to talk. I've got something for you." After picking my jaw up off the floor, and getting over the shock and flattery I was feeling, it went something like "Where do I sign." It just goes to show that if you are willing to take some risks and don't give up on doing what you love you can end up anywhere. I'm proof.

All of you that know me can attest to the fact that I'll do pretty much anything, love to race, and am a very dedicated and fairly adept wrench. I guess DF saw that, and I appreciate the opportunity more than he or any of you will ever know. My commitment to you??? As much fun, excitement and real coverage as I can possibly provide. The kind of coverage, projects, antics, and fun you want to live out will be our lives in order to encourage even more of the automotive enthusiasts of the world to join in on our evil ways. Who's with me?

Oh and did I mention I have a propensity for blowing stuff up and loving it? Carnage rules!!!
                              "A cross thread is better than a lock washer." Earl Lanning...My Grandpa

Comment

Hi, im Tommy (aka Tommygun) I reside in the state of KS, mostly in MO though. I have been in the mustang racing community since 1994 when I raced my 1st Fun Ford event. I raced with FF, NMRA, and WFC over the years in various mustangs, winning the 2003 WFC Cobra Shootout. I love to shift. I can get in about any stick car and feel at home while banging gears and making people cringe every time that I sweep my foot across the clutch pedal to just make enough shake in the disc to get the trans into the next gear. Centerforce is finding out now how brutal I can be haha (heavy car, 800hp, aggressive driving). I have driven everything down the track from a slow 4 banger neon to some very nice mid 9 sec rides on radials. I love racing. I also am known to wear a bunny suit while molesting cows in the middle of Iowa. Any other questions just please ask.

Comment

Working...
                                X