Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Newbies Introduce Yourself Here .. Welcome !

Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Short Intro's

I'm Larry and I've been a rod and custom fan all my life. I'm a sign painter and pinstriper working in the Chicago area. I belong to Vintage Tin CC which is in its 37th year and has over 40 members in the NE Illinois/NW Indiana area. I've been lurking here for a few days now and I'm more than impressed. I hope to contribute to this board but I'm pretty sure I'll get way more from it than it'll get from me. :-[ ;D

Comment

Dan Marshall
      Fort Collins, CO

62 years old. Been in Fort Collins the past 14 years but was in the Army before that (20 years - Vietnam heilcopter pilot - dentist) so have lived lots of places. I have a 72 Nova that is further along than my 63 Chevy II wagon, but tinker on both. (see 'em here: http://community.webshots.com/user/dans72) Just an old shadetree mechanic who learns by doing, mostly, but relies on books and mags, too. I am signed up on several boards, but spend most of my time on StevesNovaSite (http://www.stevesnovasite.com/forums/index.php). I sold my dental practice about 3 months ago. Will still need to work some to pay off some debts and support my Nova habit. So rather than retired, I guess I'm unemployed, hee hee. Just taking some time off. Been doing dentistry for 28 years, so need a break. I'm vistiing grandkids (I have 8 children and fourteen grandchildren) and doing home improvement projects. Not finding much time to work on the cars lately, but am still collecting parts (I need a bigger garage). My oldest son is not much into cars, but my middle son is an avid four-wheeler and my youngest son is making plans for the 85 Elky I gave him (I had too many cars and he needed one ;D) Reckon that's enough for now.

Dan (checking in)

Comment

Howdy,

Matt Arnold here. Just left a job working for a large Tier I automotive engine and transmission component supplier where I designed tooling and product assembly machinery. Moved, got married and finally found time to start working on some projects I've been dragging around for a few years.

Currently, I'm piecing a 1970 F-250 back together. Swapped in a 460 Ford with C-6. Worked a second job for a friend with an ag and construction equipment repair shop. I bored, honed and decked the block, replaced valve guides, ground the valves, surfaced the head, and assembled the engine myself at his shop. The only thing I didn't do was grind the crank and balance the rotating assembly.

The '71 Buick LeSabre was my first car. Purchased it after college in 1995. Completely stock other than the broken moral compass on the dash.

Cool site, looks to be off to a great start.

Take care,

Matt

Comment

Howdy, yall. I'm Daryl White and it seems most of us have all met on other boards but we appear to be separating the wheat from the chaff here. I'm a 38 yr old machinist and business owner (don't try it unless you REALLY want to start hating the gov't and taxes). My wife, the lovely Cynthia, and I moved to Nashville 6 years ago to start my engine shop and have enjoyed it here. We lived in Houston for a few years and Boise, ID (still our favorite place to live) but I grew up in SoCal during the Cal-Buggin days of the mid 80's (early Van Halen ROCKS!). Nobody seems to believe that when they hear the goofy freakin accent I picked up along the way. I don't reckon none y'all know nuthin bout that.

Like many engine builders, I get more geeked about watching my stuff go fast rather than racing but I got bit by the land speed racing bug this spring and have jumped in with both feet. I've had a couple of generic drag cars (74 Dart Sport with a 440-pro turd#1, 69 Camaro with a 406-pro turd#2, 86 mustang with a cheap 302-pro turd#3) but now I'm building a 96 firebird that I can drive around, my wife can drive around, we can drag and land speed race with. I've never had a real street/strip car that was nice at all (69 firebird convertable was never raced) and my wife insisted that we get something that she likes this time. As they say "if momma's happy, everyone's happy".

I really like the people in 'this' community that I've met as we really are kindered spirits. Sorry for the touchy-feely moment there. I've had a couple of good weeks throwing back unlimited cocktails with the Chad at Engine Masters and I'm glad to see him here. I just met DF at the Salt Talks in Bonneville this year - you seem like a pretty nice guy and not the egomaniac everyone describes. Oh, did I say that out loud? I mean, uh, yeah, sorry;)

Good to meet all of you.

p.s. I have to relate the first time I met 'our friend' Turk. This spring during rookie orientaion when he was assessing our skil levels. Pretty sure this summarized his sense of humor for us.

Turk - "Do any of you guys have any fast driving or racing experience?"

Us - "We've done a bunch of drag racing running 140-150"

Turk - "Drag racing is gay. You run 1/4 mile or 1/8 mile?"

Us - "Mostly 1/8 mile"

Turk - "1/8 mile is extra queer... but I guess I'll give you a D license"

Comment

Bob larimore from ohio; embarressed at the number of cars then realized I left off at least two....junkie............
            Started racing in the early 60's in gassers, 55- 57 chevs mostly, then altereds. Fuel altereds, early funny cars .. then drafted.
            70's pro stock then alcohol funny cars and finally nitro funny cars.quit racing in the 80's and founfd that's bad for your health. 90's; ten years in hydroplanes and wrote the rules for the unlimited lights series that ran with the unlimiteds. Crashed and burned, quit boat racing in 2002.Then built a few street rods and then went to Bonneville to observe, niow building Stude for the salt and maybe a few drags with it too. I 'm 65 and many years left. Still working as a car dealer when i have time.
            bob

Comment

Originally posted by revolutionary

p.s. I have to relate the first time I met 'our friend' Turk. This spring during rookie orientaion when he was assessing our skil levels. Pretty sure this summarized his sense of humor for us.

Turk - "Do any of you guys have any fast driving or racing experience?"

Us - "We've done a bunch of drag racing running 140-150"

Turk - "Drag racing is gay. You run 1/4 mile or 1/8 mile?"

Us - "Mostly 1/8 mile"

Turk - "1/8 mile is extra queer... but I guess I'll give you a D license"
              Here is a shot of 'ol Keith after he became an "Ace" with his fifth "kill" and a entry into the "Dirty 2" club at El Mirage

There are very few people in this world who's opinion I value, you are not one of them.

300 in 1999

Comment

Kurt Urban
                Car junkie.
                Mostly drag racing, but did Maxton in a borrowed car and had a blast.
                Have an understanding wife and two wide eyed car loving boys, Hunter (7) and Spencer (3).
                I have been lucky enough to race in the "Fastest streetcar" racing, got lucky and won a few times. Also went to the "Pump gas drags" once and spent a week on "Dragweek" with a bunch of like minded individuals......

Kurt

Comment

Originally posted by ksj1
                  Don McGinnis of Topeka Kansas.Went on DragWeek but not with the car I wanted to.Had to use our Stratus R/T as my 68 RR was not ready to go.Here are a couple of pics that include my son(senior pics) He didnt get to do DW because of grades.

my brain hurts thinking about the number of hours in that car, calling it clean just doesnt do it justice.

Comment

I'm Andy, and I am a car junkie. I live in southern Ontario (Canada). I have been into cars as long as I can remember. I grew up on a busy street & there were always cool cars cruising by. I started helping a neigbour fix cars when I was 8. Did some drag racing, some Auto-X, some road racing. Now I have come back around to street machines & drag racing.
                    My current project is a '68 F100. It will be a 3 season driver, drag racer, general thrashmobile.
                    This looks like a great site. Thanks DF & friends.

Comment

I have to clean mine and you dont have to clean yours.Im JEALOUS!!!!

Comment

I'm Joe, tugboat captain, 53, and another fan of DF. Just moved to Charlotte from New Orleans and getting back into hot rods after traveling (and sampling) the worlds back alleys for the last 30 years. Presently building a 65 Ford Ranchero for LSR (Maxton, Bonneville), open road racing, road racing, and Pikes Peak while still keeping it street legal. Goal is to see it featured in one of the rags as "Worlds Fastest Ranchero?" LOL. Anyone have any shop space available around Charlotte?
                        Daily driver at moment is a 77 Ranchero survivor with a warmed over 351. Gotta get a Mazda or something, gas prices are killing me.

Comment

Wait until you see the race '65 Ranchero in Hot Rod next month.

Just wanted to stop in for a minute to say this is a great thread. Really good to know the people behind the screen names.

DF

Comment

Originally posted by captjoe
                            I'm Joe, tugboat captain, 53, and another fan of DF. Just moved to Charlotte from New Orleans and getting back into hot rods after traveling (and sampling) the worlds back alleys for the last 30 years. Presently building a 65 Ford Ranchero for LSR (Maxton, Bonneville), open road racing, road racing, and Pikes Peak while still keeping it street legal. Goal is to see it featured in one of the rags as "Worlds Fastest Ranchero?" LOL. Anyone have any shop space available around Charlotte?
                            Daily driver at moment is a 77 Ranchero survivor with a warmed over 351. Gotta get a Mazda or something, gas prices are killing me.
                            I am currently negative on shop space myself, but you shouldn't have a problem finding cheaper warehouse space in the charlotte area. I'm in the raleigh area myself, so if you need anything land speed racing related, i'm glad to help. oNe major benefit is you're within 30min of wind tunnel. Those of us who have been the the wind tunnel know its benefits greatly. For me it was the difference between an undrivable car at 190 to a cadillac at 212. You're right DF this thread is cool

Comment

I’m Steve and although new to web forums, I’m not new to cars. I have been lurking around anything with a motor since I can remember. My first car was a 1967 Dodge Coronet and after a tour of duty with bikes and speed, I got back into cars and bought a 1967 Chevelle SS that I restored (which I have always regretted selling).

My 50th is early next rear, and since I’m retired, I owed it to myself to attempt to regain some of the glory days of my youth. So, a few weeks ago I bought a 1963 Nova SS, which is a daily driver that I have lots of fun with and get to tinker on, but make no mistake, it is no Show or Go winner by any means. The L6 / Powerglide had already been swapped out with a 327 SBC / TH350 combo that runs great !

I'm into anything with a motor that's cool, so I’m sure to make many friends. See you all out there ………..

Comment

Dave Conrey here, as if the screen name didn't give it away.

I'm the art director for Chevy High Performance magazine and DF was my editorial director for the past couple years. I've been with Source Interlink (formerly Primedia) for over 4 years and a graphic artist for nearly 10 years.

Before Primedia, I worked as a marketing manager for a design studio in Long Beach called Visual Design Works where we specialized in the automotive aftermarket industry working with such clients a JL Audio, Edelbrock, Zexx and Snugtop to name a few.

I used to drive a 97 Ford Mustang GT that I was building with open track racing intentions. Then I bought a house and that project went toward a downpayment. Now I drive a F150 beater and a Harley for those long commutes to Wilshire Blvd.

Comment

Working...
                                X