Impact wrench, what do you like?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Impact wrench, what do you like?

I have a crappy Kobalt wrench that came with my compressor. I'm looking at getting a better one.

I like this one. Opinions?

Hey, I have that one! I'm a shadetree mechanic but it gets the trackbar bolts loose on my 3/4 ton Dodge pickup, works for the whole front suspension actually. I just did a refresh under there 2 weeks ago and used it... I oil it a couple times a year, but I can't say it would stand up to daily professional use.
    www.realtuners.com - catch the RealTuners Radio Podcast on Youtube, Facebook, iTunes, and anywhere else podcasts are distributed!

Comment

all kinds to choose from.

50 doillar husky to 500 dollar ingersol rand (sp).

I got an old IR. hefty bugger, the same size as one is used to seeing, but a very big gun. old school.

I think 400psi max was about it someplace...they do not go that far on a hand held anymore.
      Previously boxer3main
      the death rate and fairy tales cannot kill the nature left behind.

Comment

I have SnapOn impacts, my 1/2 is a IM5100, 550ft-lb forward and 600ft-lb in reverse..... You can get these on Ebay used for about 1/2 the price of what that impact in your link costs.... And if you want it to run like new you can always send it to SnapOn and they will rebuild it....

Also here's their new impact the MG725.....

Get the best deals for mg725 at eBay.com. We have a great online selection at the lowest prices with Fast & Free shipping on many items!
        Last edited by TC; December 21, 2012, 02:24 AM.

Comment

I needed an impact the other day, when I had to remove my balancer pulley while the engine was hoisted to the radiator support, and NOT going to clear it ... since I don't have one, I used my 1/2" drive Craftstman ratchet and a 3 lb sledge. Tap, tap, tap, tap... got it.

/hijack

Comment

That's about what I paid for mine - their "big" half inch when I bought it was 700 pounds in reverse. My ass if that was 700 pounds. lol. I still had to put a pipe on a wrench to get my radius arm nuts loose on the Lightning. Maybe if I had a 1/2" hose it would go 700 pounds, or 175psi, but... by my weak math and highly accurate butt-o-meter, it took close to 600 to get the nut off that thing with old timey cheater bars and grunt. After it broke loose the gun handled it no problem.

I have a big older Craftsman that will probably stay with it as far as torque goes. Honestly, I think I would go with a Harbor Freight 3/4" for he nasty stuff, keep the Kobalt for stuff too big for an electric impact, and a decent 3/8" electric. I had to replace my portable drill motors, and bought a 18v DeWalt impact / drill combo in Lithium Ion. I'm very very pleased with it.

Back to your question though, I wouldn't have a problem with the wrench that you listed. TC's ebay deals don't include the 100.00 or more you spend getting the Snap-On guy to rebuild that wrench.

• Extreme Torque-922-Feet-lbs Real torque
            • Lightweight Composite Housing
            • 1200-Feet-lbs breakaway torque for fast removal of stubborn fasteners
            • Low Noise
            • Insulated Comfort Grip
            If that is remotely close to reality, that is a nasty wrench. The price is about in line with what I've been paying for big wrenches.
            ah, one other thought - The CP is heavy. That's what I love about the portable electric. It's uber-light and shocking at what it will remove. Won't quite handle head bolts though.

When I actually used wrenches for a living, we used 3/8 butterflies and pistol grips whenever we could because they were so much lighter. I quit right as the anvil type ratchets were coming out, I would probably have liked one of those. I wouldn't have a problem putting my CP in the drawer for daily use.
            Last edited by Beagle; December 21, 2012, 05:32 AM.
            Flying south, with a flock of bird dogs.

Comment

IR titanium 2135 best impact ive ever had,,,id put up against any other gun,,,ive had about every brand mac,matco,snap-on...

Comment

I have an OLD IR that I bought at Kitts in Redford Mi. probably 35 years ago or so. Still works. Sometimes it slows down and I oil it and all is back to normal. Marvel Mystery Oil - is their another air tool oil?

Dan

Comment

Originally posted by bulletproof View Post
                  IR titanium 2135 best impact ive ever had,,,id put up against any other gun,,,ive had about every brand mac,matco,snap-on...

i have the titanium too, awesome impact.
                  Charles

Comment

Originally posted by DanStokes View Post
                    I have an OLD IR that I bought at Kitts in Redford Mi. probably 35 years ago or so. Still works. Sometimes it slows down and I oil it and all is back to normal. Marvel Mystery Oil - is their another air tool oil?

Dan
                    sure - MM brand Air Tool Oil... lol. I would put 3:1 or machine oil in mine in a pinch if I were beating on it with no other oil around.
                    Flying south, with a flock of bird dogs.

Comment

I have a Craftsman 1/2" drive - it works excellent and has good power. That said, I have no idea who made the gun for Craftsman, but it is a henche en Etats Unis, so a guess would be IR.
                      Doing it all wrong since 1966

Comment

And it's delicious! Makes an excellent desert topping.

Dan

Comment

Used the HF ones.. Got given a NAPA one.. Little better.. Son bought IR.. Man I LOVE them.. Even the 3/8 gets off big assed nuts! Now mine are in a box somewhere..

Comment

I am part of the IR crowd. I've owned mine for about 6 years and absolutely love it.

Ron
                            It's really no different than trying to glue them back on after she has her way.

Comment

Originally posted by Beagle View Post
                              Back to your question though, I wouldn't have a problem with the wrench that you listed. TC's ebay deals don't include the 100.00 or more you spend getting the Snap-On guy to rebuild that wrench.
                              But he will end up with a badass quality impact, realize I have had my 1/2 impact for 20 years, 10 years of that it was being used in everyday wrenching on cars when I worked as an Auto Tech, I have never had it rebuilt and it busts loose everything I need busted loose.... Well except for the nuts that hold the piston on a hydraulic ram for my BackHoe....., I had to step up to a 3/4" impact for that......

Problem with lots of torque with an impact is that it makes it easier to snap bolts in half or strip stuff out.....
                              Last edited by TC; December 21, 2012, 10:42 AM.

Comment

Working...
                              X