pictures/avatar

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Patrick & Tammy
    - Long Haulin' 2008, 2009, 2010, 2011, 2012, 2014...Addicting isn't it...??

Comment

Originally posted by Strato Chief View Post
      I have a love for all types, but have always been Pontiac for the win. Ive been beat by some of the other engines, but I also have been on the giving end of the beatings!
      There is a special enjoyment to be had by beating a 'popular' engine with our 'slow old dinosaurs' and its especially delicious when its a chevy stuck in where a 400 or 455 used to be.

Comment

Originally posted by Thumpin455 View Post
        There is a special enjoyment to be had by beating a 'popular' engine with our 'slow old dinosaurs' and its especially delicious when its a chevy stuck in where a 400 or 455 used to be.
        i will never forget our first power tour when several were shock and awed by a little pontiac V6 doing front wheel burnouts
        Patrick & Tammy

Comment

Originally posted by OHC 6 Sprint View Post
          in 1980 ... after I cut my 1965 Mustang into little pieces while listening to Pink Floyd.
          Another sad story about the unfortunate confluence of drugs, prog rock, and a cutting torch . . . .

Comment

Originally posted by silver_bullet View Post
            i will never forget our first power tour when several were shock and awed by a little pontiac V6 doing front wheel burnouts in a giant puddle of Clorox . . . .
            Just kidding. Some of those traction-limited FWDs really can incinerate the tires (make that TIRE . . . on most of 'em)
            Last edited by 38P; December 21, 2012, 01:15 PM.

Comment

My favorite is when a guy back home kept telling me to put a 350 chevy in and it would go faster. I built a mild 455, stuffed it in the Formula and would still be spinning at the 1/8th. Once I got tires that hooked the mice were all runnin scared. The closest sbc to me was running 14.0 and had $2k more in his engine, first run at the track was 12.8@106, and eventually the old Bird ran 11.71@115 with that engine. They would always ask, "How much you sprayin?" and it was all motor... It was lots of fun running tractor engines 15 years ago.

Comment

There may be "No Replacement for Displacement", but, a blower makes a nice substitute!!
                Patrick & Tammy

Comment

Originally posted by The Outsider View Post
                  Just kidding. Some of those traction-limited FWDs really can incinerate the tires (make that TIRE . . . on most of 'em)
                  no, that's tires in this case... by the way, yes, our longest burnout was about 3 blocks in Cambridge, Wisconsin with the assist of a bucket of water from the bar that Matt Kenseth hangs out in...
                  Patrick & Tammy

Comment

Somethings wrong if a guy had $2k "more" in a sbc that only ran a 14.0, or it was in a school bus.
                    Originally posted by TC
                    also boost will make the cam act smaller

Comment

Originally posted by A/Fuel View Post
                      Somethings wrong if a guy had $2k "more" in a sbc that only ran a 14.0, or it was in a school bus.
                      or a 58-76 impala... they always liked big block torque...

anybody can spend 2 grand on mismatched parts and get a boat anchor...
                      Last edited by silver_bullet; December 21, 2012, 01:27 PM. Reason: thinking
                      Patrick & Tammy

Comment

For $2k you could build it 2 times!
                        Originally posted by TC
                        also boost will make the cam act smaller

Comment

It was pre cheap aluminum heads. It was in a 3400lb 85 Monte, and he had 4.56 gears in it. Would 1/8th ok, but in the 1/4 it ran out of steam with the iron heads. He had a bit over $4500 in his engine, right before the ZZ4 crates came out. The fun part was I shifted at 5800, they said it sounded like I was going to the store for a loaf of bread. He was shifting 1000 or more higher and spinning the snot out of it. You might be surprised what a $1500-$2500 455 will do, even in a heavy car with highway gears. Its similar thinking to your dragster, no need for the deep gears because you have the grunt to move things.

Another guy I knew had a Luv pickup, put a ZZ4 in it and couldnt get out of the 13s with 3.73 gears under it. Put a quick change secondary kit in so he could swap the springs, and added a spacer under the carb and suddenly it was running 12.80s. One chevy guy ran faster, he had a 454 with GM iron heads, solid roller, etc in a 69 Camaro. He ran two tenths faster than I did with more gear and less weight. Something was definitely wrong, the chevy guys had no idea how to tune anything. Especially true with the roundy round types. Used to get real nice 850 Holleys from them with 58 jets front and back.

The Ford guys thought a stock 5.0 was fast.. Felt sorry for them.

Comment

For $2k you could build it 2 times!
                            For $2k in a chevy you would have to build it two times in 15 years.

Comment

Strato Chief, now you see how the game is played, don't you? This is not even a threadjack, just another day at work and fun on BangShift.
                              Charter member of the Turd Nuggets

Comment

I was just thinking how this started off as a question about putting an avatar pic on a profile, and it's degraded into a Poncho vs. whoever rant. How did that happen? And I thought I had a bad case of A.D.D., and I didn't even see the bunny, or squirrel, or whatever it was.

Where was I? Damn ... I hate when that happens.

Comment

Working...
                                X