No announcement yet.

Old People

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

My Dad is in a Nursing Home right now, he's in there for Therapy and recovering from having a Pacemaker installed (implanted is probably the correct word) December 10th and he gets out and goes home this Saturday. I asked him if he'd met or talked to anybody in the Dining room where everybody goes for their meals 3 times a day, he said "no there's just a bunch of old people in there that can't hear", Dad is 94 years old and refuses to wear his hearing aids, LOL!
    sigpic

Just an Old Drag Racer that still has dreams of going fast!

Comment

My brother's former FIL was extremely active, at 86 he still played golf constantly and skied frequently. I saw him at a family gathering and said "Albert, how's the golf game?" He responded "well, haven't been out with the foursome for awhile. One guy's wife died and he hasn't been up to it, another guy had surgery and isn't ready to play, and the last guy is just getting old." I said, "well what are you going to do Albert?" "Get younger friends" was his reply.

I'm not sure how to characterize "Senior" or "old." I think its a state of being, not a chronological age.
      I'm still learning

Comment

25 or 30 years ago there were standards for older folks. You stopped wearing Jeans, and t-shirts. You stopped things like racing cars and started crap like golf. There were things you did and things you did not do. I often think about my dad when he was my age (not too damn long ago) and he had pretty much grown old by traditional standards. He gave up cars, friends, golf, 4 wheeling and anything else he may have enjoyed and became a home body. I told my wife if I ever get to the point where I lose interest in cars, bikes, mechanics, drawing, toys, weight lifting, football, playinmg with the kids and all the other stuff I enjoy....kill me.

Take for instance some of the guys I have had the pleasure of becoming aquainted with on this forum. Many are quite a bit older than me but they still have a good time, play with cars, hang out with friends...when I was a kid, guys of their age didnt do stuff like that. They were old, the sat in the donut shops and local greasy spoons and swapped war stories.
        Last edited by JOES66FURY; December 27, 2012, 02:28 PM.
        If you can leave two black stripes from the exit of one corner to the braking zone of the next, you have enough horsepower. - Mark Donohue

Comment

I plan on being ornery. They seem to live forever. And, my brain to mouth filter will no longer function.
          BS'er formally known as Rebeldryver

Resident Instigator

sigpic

Comment

Today is a slow day at work so my bosses said to do something with the airmen. I decided we would all go to breakfast. I have 15 people on shift today and we all went to a local breakfast joint to grab some chow. There was another table of 15 right next to us, all of them at least 65 and up from there. Many wore military related items, hats/pins ect.ect. I had to laugh to myself, stark contrast to our table of 15...but they were having as much fun as we were eating and telling lies. This thread came to mind.
            If you can leave two black stripes from the exit of one corner to the braking zone of the next, you have enough horsepower. - Mark Donohue

Comment

Working...
            X