V8 Volvo Wagon

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by DanStokes View Post
    Dick is interested in adding a crate engine to the mix. He'd like around 350ish. and I'm suggesting he retain the EFI. One possibility is the Pro-Form (IIRC) from New Jersey. Any input? Which crate builders do a good job, stand behind their stuff, etc.

Dan
    Ford?

Flying south, with a flock of bird dogs.

Comment

I passed Beag's suggestion on. Any others?

Dan

Comment

DSS and Probe/Coast High, Speed-o-Motive, Keith Craft, Kuntz & Co... pick up a Muscle Mustangs and Fast Fords, there's a lot of guys who have been around forever and didn't get to stay in business by building crap! If he's gonna want to turbo or blower in the future I would consider stepping up for a BOSS block, it's rated a couple hundred hp more than a production 302 block (700 I think?). The bigger bore will let it go out to 363 inches, still in a 8.2" deck.

Comment

Thanks! Really, I think 350 HP or so will be all he can handle. Does Anderson make any SBF crates? I'll hop on line in a day or two (going to be gone tomorrow) and see what I can find. We did look at Edelbrock but they're PRICEY!

Dan

Comment

when I looked at this stuff back at the turn of the century, I thought the Ford deal was hard to beat. I think it still is. Anderson sells it for their 302 / 306 crate offering (3750) - gonna be damn hard to beat that price for what you're getting. Cobra / GT40 manifold still rocks under and at the 400 hp level, the Explorer version is cheap and worth probably 20 hp over the stock stuff. I believe TMoss is still porting HO lowers intakes and for 100 something bucks, they will run with a stock Cobra/GT40.

http://www.andersonfordmotorsport.co...ategory_id=722 is Anderson's crate motor page.

Comment

Thanks again!

Dan

Comment

Can you get 350 with a "cheap" paxton / vortec?
                http://www.bangshift.com/forum/forum...-consolidation
                1.54, 7.31 @ 94.14, 11.43 @ 118.95

PB 60' 1.49
                ​​​​​​

Comment

I think that's a bit past him. Really he just wants to KNOW he has a crate engine and something like 350HP. Great guy but not much of a car guy. I'm hoping I'll be able to work with him to do the engine swap and it will be, by FAR, the most technical hands-on car thing he will ever have done. It'll be fun.

Dan

Comment

Maybe shoot for a 380-400hp engine, by time it's installed, be a honest 350 hp...

Comment

I think a dishonest 350 will work fine in this instance. He's running the stock 225 (IIRC) and already can scare himself.

Dan

Comment

if it's got a B cam in it, and I think the Ford crate motor does, it's a custom cam change away from 350hp.

I'd probably opt for a 215/215 comp 270HR and "say" it was 350, pick the bottom end back up. The one thing I see in that mill is 9.0:1 , B cam is a little long in duration for it to my way of thinking. I think the 215* 270HR is probably good for 25 foot pounds at the loss of maybe 2hp to the B cam, and idle without shaking the Volvo to pieces or needing a vacuum booster. It's a freaking Volvo, keep it stealthy. lol.

Meh - BEECAM! FTW!

Car Craft did a 400 hp 302 build 6 or 7 years ago that was AFR 165's and a "stock cam." I still suspect an E303 as "Stock" since they don't know what was in it for sure. I would have believed it with a part number off the end of the cam maybe... but I call BS on the HO cam making 400 hp in a 302 with just heads, long tubes, and a really good dual plane (Stealth). 360 maybe and that's pushing it. Anyway... lol. I digress.
                        Last edited by Beagle; December 29, 2012, 09:26 AM.

Comment

Dan, why not a good set of street aluminum heads, GT40/Explorer intake and call it a day? Leave the stock cam, it'll have nice manners, idle well. The TF170 heads are very reasonable and make great power. The latest issue of Car Craft just did a sbf aluminum head test. The TF made the best peak and average power for something like just under $1100. The Edelbrock E series with 2.02" intake came very, very close to the TF 170. The E series are being sold on ebay by a lot of venders for about $940 delivered to the door.

My brother's old 89 5.0 LX with GT40 heads, intake, exhaust and a Vortex pumping about 10 psi ran great. I'd estimate about 380 maybe. It was a handful with the T5 and street tires.
                          Tom
                          Overdrive is overrated

Comment

I keep bring that up but Dick is SO non-mechanical that he really can't imagine doing work on his engine. I have no clue what the mileage is on the existing 5.0 but I'll wager it isn't much. I keep suggesting that we just do the typical SBF stuff but so far no luck. It would be a bit like a heart surgeon saying "we'll just pop a couple of new valves in there and maybe a stent or two and she'll run like crazy". He just can't envision it. But I'll keep trying.

I'd kind of like the Trick Flow top end with an Accufab throttle body and 24 lb. injectors. Modest but interesting. I have a Comp XTreme Energy cam in the 'Stang and that's nice, too. It really wouldn't be a bad job on the Volvo. I'll keep bringing it up.

Dan

Comment

How the hell did he get talked into putting a 5.0 in the first place and not a Autozone rebuilt Volvo engine?
                              Tom
                              Overdrive is overrated

Comment

Originally posted by Huskinhano View Post
                                How the hell did he get talked into putting a 5.0 in the first place and not a Autozone rebuilt Volvo engine?
                                Wondering that myself...
                                Simple hopups should make more sense than a whole motor!

Comment

Working...
                                X