No announcement yet.

66 lemans

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

c'mon guys... I know that we are in the tribe, but did that stop us from rooting for the Professor(WarrenJohnson)or Smoke(tony stewart) when they ran variations on the theme?? even the rocket boys use bowtie parts for performance...ever thought of the 6" high performance rod in a 350 olds engine?? My Dad Owned Olds and Chevy(truck) and worked for the local Chevy dealer... If you ask about loyalty, I plan on running with the tribe as long as I possibly can...I'm of GM family...owned em all except caddy(but they're cool too)
    BTW didn't you guys love the MK IV pontiac racing heads when they were out...regardless of what they were bolted to...I'm still ticked at GM for stopping production on BOP engines!!
    Patrick & Tammy
    - Long Haulin' 2008, 2009, 2010, 2011, 2012, 2014...Addicting isn't it...??

Comment

if pontiac is that difficult, go for a ford if you like long strokes in little engines.

just had to challenge the spear holders around the pontiac fire.

I ran a 301..forgot specs, a bitof history I should be carrying around. it was a nice motor.. very thick though, cooling was a basturd...so was heating.
      Previously boxer3main
      the death rate and fairy tales cannot kill the nature left behind.

Comment

Originally posted by OHC 6 Sprint View Post
        Awesome information and advice. Just want to add one more thought to this:
        There are two different crank registers on 350/400 cranks (early vs. later) and they do not interchange. All of the early cranks, up to about 1975 if memory serves, and all 455 cranks are the larger 2.75" register. You can get a dual-pattern (10.5" and 11") aftermarket type with the correct register hole. If you go with a 455, it's moot.
        Forgot about that, mainly because I have never run into the off sized cranks, everything I have had is late stuff.
        Originally posted by oldsman496 View Post
        while Thump is gone i'll just say this..................

put an OLDSMOBILE motor in that thing!!!!!! its the only way to make a pontiac fast.......!
        I like Olds too, have a pair of 455s, one with J and the other E castings. Then there are the four 403s I have, and two or three 350s. Great engines even if the rocker arm arraignment is wonky and prone to breaking. if I want to go fast its with a Pontiac first, 4V Cleveland second, and Olds third. Chevy made a good truck engine if you dont mind it leaking and using lots of gas.

Corporate sucked until the LS1 came out, those engines are more Pontiac and Buick design than chevy. GM died between 1979 and 1998. I rather enjoy beating on chevy with a dinosaur engine and slightly worked stock parts. The best part is the heads I use arent prone to cracking and I dont need a huge stall and gears to get it moving. I do like chevy trucks though, and GMC too. The best my C10 ever pulled trailers was with a 400 Pontiac in it, way better than the 454 it has now.
        Last edited by Thumpin455; December 27, 2012, 06:26 PM.

Comment

Thump we're gonna have to start calling you 'Poncho'
          Thom

"The object is to keep your balls on the table and knock everybody else's off..."

Comment

there hasn't been a pontiac engine since 1977

Comment

beg to differ...T/A 6.6 still in production in later years..301 turbo T/A....iron duke 2.5 also...yes a 4 popper, but still in production after 77...
              Last edited by silver_bullet; December 27, 2012, 07:49 PM.
              Patrick & Tammy
              - Long Haulin' 2008, 2009, 2010, 2011, 2012, 2014...Addicting isn't it...??

Comment

Working...
              X