No announcement yet.

Opinions (un)welcome -- Buford tail pipes

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Take a bunch of these and you can do the deal.
    I did 3" over the axle with this kit.
    Works well.

Patience is your friend.
    Thom

"The object is to keep your balls on the table and knock everybody else's off..."

Comment

Originally posted by Monk View Post
      Take a bunch of these and you can do the deal.
      I did 3" over the axle with this kit.
      Works well.

Patience is your friend.
      Why do flashbacks of his cabinetry install come to mind.

(the full sized picture appears to have disappeared from the intra-webz)
      Escaped on a technicality.

Comment

I see all those bends and all I can imagine is a French horn squirreled up under the car. HA! -- My weenie ass mill doesn't need 3" pipe and can still grow into the 2.5" that'll go on. Also, it'll be bolted at the headers so I can open'em up at the strip when necessary...which is hopefully often.
        That which you manifest is before you.

Comment

Originally posted by Brian Lohnes View Post
          I see all those bends and all I can imagine is a French horn squirreled up under the car. HA! -- My weenie ass mill doesn't need 3" pipe and can still grow into the 2.5" that'll go on. Also, it'll be bolted at the headers so I can open'em up at the strip when necessary...which is hopefully often.
          2.5" will be a breeze and serve ya well.
          Thom

"The object is to keep your balls on the table and knock everybody else's off..."

Comment

Brian if you go with a 2.5" system you'll have to re-do to 3" when you install the big block so might as well just go 3" to start with.
            You are still planning on a big block aren't you? Please don't tell us you are weenieing out on the BB!

Comment

It's pretty interesting how much the shape and configuration of the tailpipes and tips affects the sound. I had a big case 3" Dynomax muffler on my Firebird with a single 3" tailpipe. The first setup had a turndown tucked up under the bumper out of sight. I wanted it to be quiet, but it was too quiet, and sounded like crap all the time. I went back and got another straight tailpipe that exited under the bumper cut off square. It was a lot better but still not quite right. I cut the end of the pipe off at about a 15 degree angle and it sounded just right.

Comment

2.5" should be fine on the street and drop the mid pipe at the strip? I remember a CC story years ago about a guy who had cutouts but ran his 10sec C3 corvette on 1 7/8" pipes on the street to make it q-ship sleepy. Hit the cutout at the starting line. I think he had VHT in a windshield wiper sprayer setup pointed at the tires... sneaky bostich.

I wouldn't expect you will be street racing , and I question how many times you could get away with that, but I still thought it was clever in theory.
                Last edited by Beagle; January 1, 2013, 09:22 AM.
                Flying south, with a flock of bird dogs.

Comment

Originally posted by Mr4Speed View Post
                  It's pretty interesting how much the shape and configuration of the tailpipes and tips affects the sound. I had a big case 3" Dynomax muffler on my Firebird with a single 3" tailpipe. The first setup had a turndown tucked up under the bumper out of sight. I wanted it to be quiet, but it was too quiet, and sounded like crap all the time. I went back and got another straight tailpipe that exited under the bumper cut off square. It was a lot better but still not quite right. I cut the end of the pipe off at about a 15 degree angle and it sounded just right.
                  Never thought about it that way, but it makes sense. If a trumpet didn't have the bell shape, it would sound like a kazoo. Stands to reason that if you cut a tail pipe at an angle, it would change the opening size, which would change the sound...

Comment

Originally posted by yellomalibu View Post
                    Never thought about it that way, but it makes sense. If a trumpet didn't have the bell shape, it would sound like a kazoo. Stands to reason that if you cut a tail pipe at an angle, it would change the opening size, which would change the sound...
                    My first thru the hood exhaust was flipped manifolds with gutted cherry bombs slash cut.. It was LOUD...and raspy/rough.. Kids wore ear plugs.

Comment

Originally posted by yellomalibu View Post
                      kazoo........LMAO!!
                      Thom

Comment

Here is a link to a pic like I have done on a few projects, but I vote over the axle and behind the rear tire, coming out at an angle just about 1'' below the quarter panel. The exhaust still makes a clean exit with the idea you gave thought about it other than a version of just being stock, chrome or stainless tips could be used but still shouldn't protrude below that 1''.
                        first pic left hand side
                        Last edited by realsteelfreak; January 1, 2013, 04:55 PM.

Comment

Jerry, that is a nice clean look. I'm with you on the inch thing. I'm going to have the turn downs at the bumper and trim them to be tight with the bumper so you can barely see 'em.

Comment

Sounds good, I know we will get pics when done right?

Comment

You betcha! I am heading back to the dyno late this week to run the car with the headers and touched up heads and then I'll swap the cam and make the grand finale pulls for that. I'd guess the exhaust will be a Feb project...along with some gauges.

Comment

Brian will only be running 2.5 inch so it's no big deal going over the axle.

FYI, turn downs under a car are the worst idea ever. Just leave them straight out of the muffler if they are going to end in front of the axle. Turn downs just stir up dust and don't do anything else good.

I say out the back, as hidden as possible. I like exhaust you hear but don't see or at least don't see very much.
                                "A cross thread is better than a lock washer." Earl Lanning...My Grandpa

Comment

Working...
                                X