Opinions (un)welcome -- Buford tail pipes

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Opinions (un)welcome -- Buford tail pipes

Been cruising the car a bunch this week since getting the new trans in and sorted. I hope to be hitting the dyno again this week for numbers and I really need to get this whole exhaust situation sorted out. The header mufflers work to keep the thing from being utterly illegal but certainly still emit enough noise to rattle windows and stuff as I drive by. Also the amazing resonance in the car is something to behold.

So I have been mentally scheming exhaust stuff and the one thing I am trying to get "right" is the tail pipes. I am not wanting to do the straight back, cut flush with the bumper dual exhaust thing, although variations on that could work.

Current ideas:

I dig the way Chrysler did the pipes on their big cars. For whatever reason, I like the turn downs -

Then there's the GTO splitter look that I also think is neat I can see a set of these tips peeking out on either side.

I'm also thinking of the old school turn downs under the axle

Now, your turn! Whaddya think?!
    That which you manifest is before you.

I like the mopar look as well for big cars. The turndowns before the axle may be issues if you take the youngsters with you.
    Neal

Drag Week 2010, 2011, 2012, 2013

Comment

To be honest, turn downs in front of the axle won't be any quieter.

How about side exit in front of the tires?

I like my tailpipes.

BS'er formally known as Rebeldryver

Resident Instigator

sigpic

Comment

I'm with Scott
        Patrick & Tammy
        - Long Haulin' 2008, 2009, 2010, 2011, 2012, 2014...Addicting isn't it...??

Comment

not a fan of turndowns under the car (at least ones Im riding in or driving).

the GTO/trans am style ones would look decent, but then IMO so would a set of nice rolled tips.

Can you tuck the exhaust up at all o you cant see it? with my 87 Vic, you could only see one tip because of a broken hanger, otherwise thy were all hidden. (EDIT: See Scott above)
          Last edited by RustyRodder; December 29, 2012, 05:44 PM.
          Local person
          sigpic

Comment

A better view of mine.

Caprice's basically the same design.
            BS'er formally known as Rebeldryver

Resident Instigator

sigpic

Comment

If you're going over axle.....turndown in front of rear tire is the way for me..like Scott mentioned.
              That's the way I did the shoebox....and I did 3" exhaust.

Looks good.....not a fan of the under bumper rear entry.

Turn downs in front of axle and you've got a street sweeper.
              Thom

"The object is to keep your balls on the table and knock everybody else's off..."

Comment

Basically, the only way for a for door chevy to look right, is make it look like it would if g.m. had made it.All that to say , yeah...like Scotts.
                Previously HoosierL98GTA

Comment

The less conspicuous, the better.
                  The official Bangshift garage door guru. Just about anything can be built using garage door parts, trust me.

Comment

Hit gravel roads/driveways, and you will be blowing dust everydamnwhere!
                    Had trans am dual turndowns (just because I had a pair laying around) on the flatbed... Blew dust badly when I hit logging sites and the roads going up there (I scrapped broken cable from logging operations)
                    Switched the cherry bombs out and no tails, same loudness, I'm told.. Want to go up a bit to blow over the axles then down slightly..
                    Hopefully that quiets it down. Most of the people I talk to blame the headers... Pffft!

Comment

scotts version is nice.

if legal in mass, the side exit is common sense to a hot rod.

just get the wheel wells tight.
                      Previously boxer3main
                      the death rate and fairy tales cannot kill the nature left behind.

Comment

Quite being a pussy and do something truly epic!

I R Bob
                        You can't drink all day unless you start in the morning!
                        2007 LH, 2008 LH, 2009 LH, 2010 LH, 2011 LH, 2012 DNF/BLOW'D UP, 2013 LH, 2014 LH

Comment

Like the Coronet.

With turn-downs ahead of the axle, a lot of that bitchin' noise you hear from behind the wheel is sound reflecting off the asphalt back onto the floor pan and resonating from there, and people alongside will hear different. I had those on a couple of cars and driving across an iron drainage grate in a downtown street once, where the sound could just go through and not bounce back, the car suddenly got so quiet inside I literally went for the ignition key, thinking I'd stalled it. Then I couldn't figure out why the starter was grinding so bad...until I'd coasted to the other side of the grate and understood the engine was still running. (The point is, ahead-of-axle turndowns make it a lot noisier inside than it needs to be.) So, if you'd rather your exhaust noise was making a statement to passersby and leaving you to hear your stereo, forget that-type turn-down. Also they raise a hell of a lot of dust (which is more of a consideration when you're backing up) and any leakage from the floor or trunk area will be sucking up exhaust and delivering it into the interior.

Comment

Originally posted by BluLightning View Post
                            Quite being a pussy and do something truly epic!

My eyes .....my eyes!
                            Thom

"The object is to keep your balls on the table and knock everybody else's off..."

Comment

If you're not interested in hiding the exhaust, go for John Deere stacks and flappers.
                              Escaped on a technicality.

Comment

Working...
                              X